Author Topic: nvlddmkm event ID 14 and a 13 sometimes.  (Read 925 times)

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
nvlddmkm event ID 14 and a 13 sometimes.
« on: November 02, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »
Game screen freeze then graphical confetti, to a black screen. Computer doesn't shut down or reboot. Awhile back I had DL MSI afterburner to dial back clock and keep tabs on temps of GPU. Installed new PSU Corsair HX1000 to replace old one. No other event log errors when I run AH3. Could other hardware cause this besides a failing GPU, RAM or Windows or even anti virus software? I'd like to track it down. My GTX 1080 was a good card.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: nvlddmkm event ID 14 and a 13 sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:49:46 PM »
It certainly sounds like a graphics card over heating, what kind of temps are you running in your box?

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 03:09:06 AM »
Graphics card overheating is a good guess. I'd also check the CPU: Does the CPU cooler wobble? Especially the plastic Intel cooler attaching things can be fiddly to get right. Another thing I once found was that the heat conducting paste had slowly flowed down so that the upper third of the CPU was bare! Of course checking the thermal paste of your GPU can be worth the effort.

The event mentioned in the title is for Nvidia so the GPU seems the primary culprit. But it can as well be that an overheating CPU can't feed it. Or your new PSU can't power the GPU properly - maybe just because of a poorly seated cable. Sometimes, when you put the plug in, one of the cables may partially pop out of the multi-plug. Check each wire individually! And of course the new PSU can be a lemon, or just the GPU cable...

Start with the least destructive options i.e. check the cables and overall seating of memory and GPU, try to wiggle the CPU cooler to see if one corner is loose, try with another GPU power cable etc.

For faster testing download a monitoring program like HW Monitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and a benchmark that stresses your hardware, like the Unigine Superposition: https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition - the latter will show your GPU temperature as well so you'll soon see if that's the issue.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 08:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply's
The PSU is new, but the graphic stutters have been occurring for awhile on AH3. I haven't monitored live time temps of GPU, or CPU. I will check out that testing software. CPU cooler is NH D15, which when I replaced PSU cleaned up the case and components seemed secured. Though testing may show temp issues. I haven't OC any component, but it is a cool 80° room temp in sunny FLA. at 75° I need a light jacket.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 02:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, I guess we can count a poorly seated CPU cooler out as the Noctua is fastened with bolts instead of plastic prongs.

Speaking of poorly seated, I've lately encountered another obscurity both with a laptop and a gaming desktop: Slow action and random freezes without any markings in the Event Monitor. I had already doomed both as motherboard or CPU failures. Then, first with the laptop and later with the desktop, reseating the SSD SATA cable fixed the issue!

Another thing that came into mind after re-reading your post: You said you have dropped the clocks using Afterburner. There's been several cases also on this forum where a misbehaving Nvidia card has been fixed by modifying the fan curve so that it starts spinning earlier. The original setting seems to be noise cancelling rather than sufficient for gaming. Check the temperatures both when idling and under stress and if it seems to keep silent at high temps just lower the thresholds i.e. pull the curve a bit to the left and up. Save that as default and set AB to start automatically with Windows minimized into the tray.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 06:39:30 AM »
Open your case and point a fan into it

If it helps it might be a temperature issue

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
Downloaded and ran both those suggested software's. Benchmark test at 1080P medium barely got card through with a high temp of 82°C max.
CPUID temps of MB 54°C, i7 chip 54°c, SSD 52°C, and RAM 34°C max temps. Ran 2nd benchmark test on card at 1080P high, which resulted in a wall of event 13 nviddmkm reports. All other temps ran in same range. No other error post's but display failure. It's surprising to see pricing so high on new cards, but there it is. Test card is GTX 1080 MSI, first card that seems to have given up on me.
Thanks for the reply's, I'm liking the monitoring software. See you on the battle field soon.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »
Does the fan on the video card need cleaning? You can set the fan to run at 100% all the time with afterburner.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »
Card was clean, and could handle many task's. AH 3 was not one of them. Dropped in another card (Radeon) and no problems at all with AH 3.   

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 01:52:40 AM »
Don't throw away or recycle your old card, it may be repairable. They are valuable.
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.