Author Topic: Complacent  (Read 2574 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Complacent
« on: November 03, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
That's what the majority in the MA have become.

That's why this game is dying off.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Complacent
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »

...er...complacent about what...?

- oldman (who is not quick to pick up on hints) (just ask the spouse)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

Do you know William S Burroughs quote on New Orleans?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 11:17:16 PM »

...er...complacent about what...?

- oldman (who is not quick to pick up on hints) (just ask the spouse)

Don't feel bad Oldman, I don't get t either.  :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 02:25:46 AM »
Richard wears dresses
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 07:18:03 AM »
Idk if complacent is the right word. But I hardly ever see people asking questions about how to get better, or how to clear someone off your 6. Or how to learn ACM and BFM. Most generally most stick to the easy way and just fly planes they can press X in to escape the fight like everyone else they come across. That's so why so many who fly FSO don't fly in the MA.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:03:29 AM »
Idk if complacent is the right word. But I hardly ever see people asking questions about how to get better, or how to clear someone off your 6. Or how to learn ACM and BFM. Most generally most stick to the easy way and just fly planes they can press X in to escape the fight like everyone else they come across. That's so why so many who fly FSO don't fly in the MA.

Good point, as I am sure you know, I suc in a fighter. My gunnery is terrible, and my ACM is nonexistant. When someone gets on my "6" I'm finished. On the other side in a tank, if I can see you, I can shoot you out to about 5k.

With that said, what would you suggest for improving my air gunnery first, then my ACM?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 08:06:52 AM »

I don't know about complacent, I'm a looong way from complacent, but I'm still a rookie at AH.  If you want to see complacent, let me compare Warbirds.... it's a joke.  Last night there were 15 players at 8pm EDT (whole different issue...) but in AH at 10:30 or so, there were 115 players.  To me, that's not 'dying off.' 

In WBs you have two skill levels, two levels of competition, and two levels of excitement.  You have the fairly good pilots and the uber pilots, those that play fairly, and those that abuse both the system and the code.  Most of the time one side or another is badly outnumbered.  And then there are players who just seem to hunt you down and kill you for idiotic reasons.  I've been shot down in a C47 after I've dropped the troops.  I've had to disengage a dog fight because I was out of ammo and low on fuel.  I announced it on the buffer, and what?  Some cretin in a 190 ran my F4F down and blew me out of the sky as I was making my landing.  You want a dying game, go give Warbirds a look.  They need the money.

I'm not trying to preach, I just want to help put things in perspective.  I'll take the more difficult game, friendlier atmosphere, and camaraderie of AH any day.

Just my thought,

Decoy
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 08:13:32 AM »
Good point, as I am sure you know, I suc in a fighter. My gunnery is terrible, and my ACM is nonexistant. When someone gets on my "6" I'm finished. On the other side in a tank, if I can see you, I can shoot you out to about 5k.

With that said, what would you suggest for improving my air gunnery first, then my ACM?

In my experience, back in the old days, ACM and situational awareness went hand in hand.  The cure for that is the same old cure, practice practice, and more practice.  Way back, I had some squaddies teach me the basics of ACM, which was helpful, and we used to do a meet every Wednesday night we dubbed 'The Aluminum Waterfall,' with as many as possible in the dueling arena going all at it.  I haven't had a chance to try Monday Night Madness yet, but it sounds like the same thing.

Gunnery is a learned skill.  If you can configure your controller so you fire primary with one button and secondary with another, that helps.  That way, in a zero, for example, you wait until you see the machine guns 'splash' before firing your cannons.  I'm still a long way from that point in AH.

Decoy
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 08:20:54 AM »
In my experience, back in the old days, ACM and situational awareness went hand in hand.  The cure for that is the same old cure, practice practice, and more practice.  Way back, I had some squaddies teach me the basics of ACM, which was helpful, and we used to do a meet every Wednesday night we dubbed 'The Aluminum Waterfall,' with as many as possible in the dueling arena going all at it.  I haven't had a chance to try Monday Night Madness yet, but it sounds like the same thing.

Gunnery is a learned skill.  If you can configure your controller so you fire primary with one button and secondary with another, that helps.  That way, in a zero, for example, you wait until you see the machine guns 'splash' before firing your cannons.  I'm still a long way from that point in AH.

Decoy

Interesting suggestion on the gunnery, I have my primary/secondary firing on the same button, with the secondary on another button also.

ACM, I practice every time I'm on line lol. Just not good at it. Most of my fighter forays are for specific purposes, take out Radar, Ords, VH Hanger or deack. If I can accomplish them I don't care what happens.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »

Record when you know Violator,  Lazer, Blade or Simon are online then go back and watch their a2a

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »

“New Orleans is a dead museum.”
― William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:07 AM »
Interesting suggestion on the gunnery, I have my primary/secondary firing on the same button, with the secondary on another button also.

ACM, I practice every time I'm on line lol. Just not good at it. Most of my fighter forays are for specific purposes, take out Radar, Ords, VH Hanger or deack. If I can accomplish them I don't care what happens.

It's tough to say which is "better".  Stellar gunnery can really make a difference.  When you can hit from afar or from weird angles, it allows you to get kills that most wouldn't.  See 2cmex when he flies a N1K.  If he can get his nose on you within about 500 yards or so, he can usually do some kind of damage/kill you.  Not saying he's not a good flyer, but what makes him dangerous IMO is he kills people from positions I don't see many other people kill from.

IMO if you can outfly the guy you will find yourself in situations where great gunnery isn't necessary, which makes everything easier, but it takes a lot more work/skill to get there.

Regarding the OP, a lot of people simply aren't here to be the bestest greatest flyer ever.  They plateau somewhere and that's good enough for them.  Not everybody treats it like a job or the Olympics.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »

Best ways to fix gunnery are.

Go to setting and set your field of view to about 116 or so. This will sit you further back in the cockpit and allow you to have better peripherals. Then hit the home key, this will help you level your head rather than the angle view that is the current setup. Hit F10. This will save your view. Set your forward button on your hat switch so you can look forward. Some planes allow you to look way over the dash. Press that button, then use page up and down keys to lift your view over the dash and hit F10. This will help you greatly with lead shots. Set all of your guns to 400. This will help you in lead shots but will also balance your shooting. Too far and the bullets go all over, too close and they dive to quickly, making lead shots very hard as you have to pull futher for the shot and may lose them. Try to get angle shots like snap shots, instead of shooting direct 6 shots. I'd sorta have to show you this in game. I always set my guns to one button. That way I'm shooting all of them when I push the trigger. Better to hit them with something rather than nothing. I find having guns on 2 different buttons creates an embalance with your ammo, especially with 50 cal only planes. I'd have a button set for secondary for bombs n rockets though. Understand the type of guns you are using. 20mm cannon, 50 cals, 303s, 30mm, ect. Some 20mms are better than others. Your example about the Nik and 2cmex. That plane has 4 20mms, making it extremely dangerous, and 900 bullets at that for spraying. It's a very dangerous plane when it gets your 6 in an overshoot. The temp has hispano 20mms, the best guns in the game. The La5 has has the worst 20mms in the game (I think). Keep that in mind. One more thing. Don't zoom in too far. This will make it very hard to aim and keep track of them, use the [ ] I think it is to zoom out a tad bit from the standard zoom. This will help you use your rudder better for the shot. Rudder helps shooting tremendously.

If you see me in game, send me a PM or reach out on 200 and we can go to the DA to work on defense maneuvers. They go along way!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:00:25 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »
Best ways to fix gunnery are.

Go to setting and set your field of view to about 116 or so. This will sit you further back in the cockpit and allow you to have better peripherals. Then hit the home key, this will help you level your head rather than the angle view that is the current setup. Hit F10. This will save your view. Set your forward button on your hat switch so you can look forward. Some planes allow you to look way over the dash. Press that button, then use page up and down keys to lift your view over the dash and hit F10. This will help you greatly with lead shots. Set all of your guns to 400. This will help you in lead shots but will also balance your shooting. Too far and the bullets go all over, too close and they dive to quickly, making lead shots very hard as you have to pull futher for the shot and may lose them. Try to get angle shots like snap shots, instead of shooting direct 6 shots. I'd sorta have to show you this in game. I always set my guns to one button. That way I'm shooting all of them when I push the trigger. Better to hit them with something rather than nothing. I find having guns on 2 different buttons creates an embalance with your ammo, especially with 50 cal only planes. I'd have a button set for secondary for bombs n rockets though. Understand the type of guns you are using. 20mm cannon, 50 cals, 303s, 30mm, ect. Some 20mms are better than others. Your example about the Nik and 2cmex. That plane has 4 20mms, making it extremely dangerous, and 900 bullets at that for spraying. It's a very dangerous plane when it gets your 6 in an overshoot. The temp has hispano 20mms, the best guns in the game. The La5 has has the worst 20mms in the game (I think). Keep that in mind. One more thing. Don't zoom in too far. This will make it very hard to aim and keep track of them, use the [ ] I think it is to zoom out a tad bit from the standard zoom. This will help you use your rudder better for the shot. Rudder helps shooting tremendously.

If you see me in game, send me a PM or reach out on 200 and we can go to the DA to work on defense maneuvers. They go along way!

Thanks for the quick reply. I will make adjustments as suggested and I'll give you a shout next time I see you in game. I look forward to learning something new.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76