Author Topic: USB micro dropouts  (Read 869 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
USB micro dropouts
« on: November 06, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »
I've been trying to nail down a problem that's been buggin the crap out of me for a while. What happens is I'll get these, close as I can describe it, micro drops in my USB devices. They don't seem to disconnect. I don't hear a ka-ding as if that happened. When it happens my USB controllers freeze but aren't frozen. I'm in VR, when it happens my tracking will stick where I was last looking for a split second, my throttle and rpms will go to about half. If I put move the throttle and rpms they go back to normal but it might happen again in a second and I'll have to do it again. Or in about 15 minutes. Annoying as hell! Bad enough when I'm just flying from here to there but chasing someone uphill in a fight is the wrong time to go half throttle! It did it to the RPMs while it was on a keystroke. I've since bought a logitech quadrant and it still does it.

So far I have tried:
Unplugged and re-plugged everything a zillion times.
Using the ultimate power plan with every power and sleep setting turned off.
Gone through the device manager and un-ticked power management on every USB and HID device.--Some of these seem to reset themselves from time to time WTH!
Gone through the device manager and removed all hidden devices which I thought might interfere.
Gone through the device manager, uninstalled hubs, etc and let windows re-install them.
Put everything into powered hubs.
Changed which things were plugged into which ports on the PC.
Unplugged things I wasn't using while flying.
Bought a different higher powered hub.
Does this with overclock applied to CPU and/or GPU or not at all.

Read about a conflict with Ryzen7 CPUs and Asus mobos. I have a 3900x/X570E combo. Reset some PCI settings in the BIOS from auto to gen3 as suggested.
Updated the BIOS several times, not the latest one tho as I've heard it doesn't perform as well. Waiting for the next one.

Through all of this the problem persists. I can duplicate it but have no idea what's causing it. They conveniently do not cause any events in windows either which is a big help :bhead. Total mystery.

Anybody got anything else?
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: USB micro dropouts
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
Your list of tried tricks is more thorough than what I would have suggested! USB power management was my first thought as it can reset with updates. I suppose you rechecked those after un- and reinstalling hubs etc.?

A friend having several Ryzen powered systems warned me about them, he told that there's random freezes in all of the ones he has with no visible reason. I know this doesn't help but it may explain.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
The only time I have had anything resembling a micro freeze, as you describe it, is when my headphones are not pugged in good at the headset and they slightly disconnect then connect. It freezes the screen and anything else till it connects. I have a Intel system. This is an extremely short freeze but noticeable. My headset is wireless but has a long cord and I often leave them plugged in.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »
The proprietary USB cable from the link box to my vive pro headset slowly went bad causing video glitches and usb interruptions to the hotas.

Replacing the cable fixed it

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 03:32:18 PM »
Yeah I'm narrowing the suspect list to something VR. Testing it just now the problem doesn't crop up in flat screen mode. A couple of 30 minute hops on auto without issue. In VR, yeah. Randomly from a few secs to 15 minutes it sets throttle and RPMs to half.

I have a RiftS and had a problem kind of like this when it was new. Pretty sure it only affected the headset itself then. I re-seated the cable at the headset and was fine for a while. This issue doesn't seem to affect the headset like before, when it pretty much just took it out and crashed the PC, but it certainly is my throttle and RPM control. I only use it for flight sims. I'm sitting. The cable is on a pulley system so it gets no stress there. I have it tied to the headset with those heavy rubber twist ties. Really stable and the cable doesn't have any kinks or really any marks on it. Not possible to pull it. Got no kids at home to crush my stuff either! Testing it I have a cover over the face pad so it thinks it's on my face and resting on it's stand. It's not even moving around. I'm listening for the engine tone change when it happens from across the room which still randomly happens.

The good news is probably a year ago I bought another cable for it from Oculus. Still in the bag. I don't even think I could get one now if I wanted to. Google search usually yields a Quest cable which is a different animal.

Gonna try to re-seat it again and test to see if it goes away. If not I'll try changing it out.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 07:36:26 PM »
How old is your PSU.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
Year and change 750w Seasonic. Not a cheapie throwaway PSU. Thought of that but... It's a Seasonic! Never had one of those mess up.

But here's a twist. The glitch kept happening in AH. Over and over every few minutes. Think the high time was 12 minutes. I thought to myself. Yaknow I don't remember this happening in IL2. Loaded up IL2. Quick mission, free flight in a P-38 (of course). Air start, auto level, set mixture, RPM and throttle for standard cruise. Started my timer. Same thing I did testing AH. I stopped watching and ended the mission at 45 minutes. It never happened.

The good news is I would think that would rule out a bad cable or windows settings. Rules out the PSU. Now I'm thinking it's something in Oculus.

Now one thing different, other than the two different games, is that for IL2 I run both Oculus AND Steam. Reason is I use a mod a guy developed for IL2 and DCS called NeckSafer. No hat views for VR in those games like in AH, so this mod works kind of like TIR where you don't have to move your neck SO far to look around. This mod only works in Steam and outside the game actually. I tried it with AH. The rotation part works great but the head position is jacked way high. Be great for AH in VR if it worked. Looking around to the rear would be perfect and without hats.

Next is to run the same test as before only running AH with SteamVR instead and see what happens.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 02:57:24 PM »
Hey kind of a bump on this but I ran across something in a vid I watched the other day that may have cured this. Thought I'd pass it along in case it helps someone else.

So I was having these little micro pauses that seemed to affect my USB devices and headset in AH. I couldn't replicate it in the other sim I play, IL-2 or in any other test. Was buggin the crap out of me. In AH it'd happen every few minutes. Cut my throttle and rpm to half whether I needed it or not. And usually twice in a row. I'd put it back and it'd bump again. I'd put it back and it'd be fine for a few minutes. Talk about annoying in the middle of a fight! I suck enough without some phantom limb cutting my throttle in the middle of things!

Anyway, a vid comes up in my YT feed about odd RGB software causing this stuff and to remove it right away. I have a newer PC with all kinds of RGB prettiness mostly run by Corsair iCue. It's an ASUS mobo so had theirs too. But THEY aren't the problem (believe it or not)! What happens is when they're installed they install these OTHER softwares and THAT'S what interferes with things. They'll all ping at the same time and cause this micro pause. I found two of these other RGB softwares in my apps list. I uninstalled them both. GALAX Gamer RGB and Patriot Viper RGB (actually had two versions of this one). These are installed by iCue and ASUS Aura and aren't needed. Why? From what I gather it was from some legacy versions that were just never removed. And, yeah I don't have a Patriot drive or memory either but thanks for that.

I tested AH in VR and stopped at just under an hour without any of these issues. So I hope it's gone now.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 02:19:58 AM »
Thanks for telling!

There's a ton of information available in the Internet, problem is that the golden nuggets can't be found unless someone like you tells about them on another forum than the original.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »
I've been trying to nail down a problem that's been buggin the crap out of me for a while. What happens is I'll get these, close as I can describe it, micro drops in my USB devices. They don't seem to disconnect. I don't hear a ka-ding as if that happened. When it happens my USB controllers freeze but aren't frozen. I'm in VR, when it happens my tracking will stick where I was last looking for a split second, my throttle and rpms will go to about half. If I put move the throttle and rpms they go back to normal but it might happen again in a second and I'll have to do it again. Or in about 15 minutes. Annoying as hell! Bad enough when I'm just flying from here to there but chasing someone uphill in a fight is the wrong time to go half throttle! It did it to the RPMs while it was on a keystroke. I've since bought a logitech quadrant and it still does it.

So far I have tried:
Unplugged and re-plugged everything a zillion times.
Using the ultimate power plan with every power and sleep setting turned off.
Gone through the device manager and un-ticked power management on every USB and HID device.--Some of these seem to reset themselves from time to time WTH!
Gone through the device manager and removed all hidden devices which I thought might interfere.
Gone through the device manager, uninstalled hubs, etc and let windows re-install them.
Put everything into powered hubs.
Changed which things were plugged into which ports on the PC.
Unplugged things I wasn't using while flying.
Bought a different higher powered hub.
Does this with overclock applied to CPU and/or GPU or not at all.

Read about a conflict with Ryzen7 CPUs and Asus mobos. I have a 3900x/X570E combo. Reset some PCI settings in the BIOS from auto to gen3 as suggested.
Updated the BIOS several times, not the latest one tho as I've heard it doesn't perform as well. Waiting for the next one.

Through all of this the problem persists. I can duplicate it but have no idea what's causing it. They conveniently do not cause any events in windows either which is a big help :bhead. Total mystery.

Anybody got anything else?

I experience something similar in VR (Quest 2 w/ Link cable).   Frozen view, sometimes balcks out, engine RPM reduced drastically.  I keep thinking I've pinched the cable somehow.  Only happens in VR.

I have noticed when I got to Net Status graph on clipboard - there are spikes corresponding to the dropouts.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »
Yup. I remember you saying before. Sounds exactly like what's happening to me too. I'd tested it with the netstat up and didn't have anything that corresponded to it. I also don't get anything in the event viewer at the times it's happened. No indication it's happened other than it happening has made it that much harder to track down! I'm hoping these apps were the cuprit and I can put this annoying crap in the rear view mirror.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 01:02:29 PM »
I think that the proprietary usb cables are not build that tough to require replacements after a bit

I had one of the vive pro light boxes go out, it would just flash red and steam vr stated it was not recognized..when I looked to the far right my screen would gray out..

It was an original one and when I ordered a replacement it turned out to be different and wouldn't work with the other one so I had to order two of them..this only mention one place on vive site

VR needs to become much less expensive if we are all supposed to metaverse our lives away lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 03:25:07 PM »
I had the same exact issue using the rift s.  I ended up accepting as a part of life. I just recently started playing in January again and I haven't had the issue again at all. The only things I've changed are a new mouse and keyboard and no longer have the icue software. Maybe it's just coincidence though.
My headset cable is a problem now though like eagler said. Everytime I take my headset off I have to skip the boundry setup when I put it back on. Happens on occasion in the middle of a fight too if i turn my head the wrong way. Ill just live with that issue though because there seems to be no replacement cables available for msrp.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 03:40:09 PM »
Yeah I was lucky enough to snag one to have just in case. Oculus stopped making them week over a year ago. I had a similar problem with the RiftS when it was new but found the cable wasn't properly seated in the headset itself. Re-seating it fixed that problem but this one has been bugging me close to a year. Hope it's dead. I hate gremlins!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"