Author Topic: Host connection lost  (Read 506 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Host connection lost
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »
Today, I tried to get in three or four missions.  In one, I was able to fly to and drop on an enemy field, while rtb, I got a 'host connection lost' message.  This evening, I got the same message multiple times.  At one point, I was given a message to use the alt/tab sequence to allow my firewall to maintain connection.  I asked about it in the radio buffer and was told that that message pops up from time to time.

Is there something I need to do to avoid this?  It's very frustrating and I would hate to be overlooking a simple solution when it's right in front of me and I can't see it.  I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

Even though I'm in a very rural area, my internet connection is rock solid, so I don't think it's me that's having the problem.  Any help at all would be appreciated.

Decoy
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Host connection lost
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »
You can download a free app from pingplotter.com that will show you any issues with your connection to AH. Sometimes a hop will have problems that you can't do anything about so at least you'll know it isn't your system.

If it's your modem or router just turn them off for a minute to reset. That can clear some connection problems.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 01:33:28 AM »
As FLS said, reboot your modem every once in a while, preferably before a planned longish session.

Other precautions in no particular order. Some are more or less permanent, some I prefer to do right before a gaming session which I don't like to be interfered:
  • Shutdown your computer by keeping the Shift button down while clicking shutdown. Start normally. That will make the system start from scratch, cleaning corrupted settings.
  • In the Device Manager check that no network related gear has "Allow Windows shut this device down to save energy" checked. Same for any USB and HID gear.
  • Check for pending updates, both for Windows and all your programs. Don't forget Microsoft Store apps.
  • Uninstall unnecessary programs and apps
  • Don't allow seldom used programs start automatically with Windows. Preferably change that in their own Settings. If not applicable, do that in Task Manager
  • Go through Windows settings and disable all unnecessary announcements, background activity, suggestions
  • In Edge and Chrome Settings/System disable "keep running in the background after closing"

Finally, look at the Weather map between your whereabouts and Texas. Ping Plotter may tell you about a problematic hop, the map can tell you why.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 01:35:10 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 06:27:13 AM »
Good advice and thanks.  My son-in-law is an IT guy and I called him and he said, "Did you reboot?"  Oops.  I'll see what happens and if it continues, I'll take a deeper look.

Decoy
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
I think a reboot was all I needed. I did uninstall some software, but that didn't seem to affect anything.  Thanks again, gentlemen.

Decoy

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 04:21:33 PM »
I prefer to use "testmy.net" to test my connection and ping, etc... I  personally think it's the best and most thorough and  if you join you can assign different computers /connection areas if your place is fully wired network/ wireless devices and it will keep all your test results logged...

I highly recommend using it

Check it out and read the tutorials and articles etc...

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 04:23:27 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 09:57:52 PM »
I prefer to use "testmy.net" to test my connection and ping, etc... I  personally think it's the best and most thorough and  if you join you can assign different computers /connection areas if your place is fully wired network/ wireless devices and it will keep all your test results logged...

I highly recommend using it

Check it out and read the tutorials and articles etc...

Hope this helps

TC

I think I have the problem solved.  My windows firewall was blocking me, to I had to make adjustments there, but, afterwards, I actually flew a mission and landed the bird.  I

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »
Oops. I was going to say, in essence, but not verbatim, I had somehow set my windows firewall so that it would exclude the ballot box.

I finally flew a complete mission tonight, and hopefully, I'll be able to do some real damages.

Decoy

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »
Anti-virus is often a problem. Make sure AH is added to exceptions.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 11:27:28 AM »
As FLS said, reboot your modem every once in a while, preferably before a planned longish session.

Other precautions in no particular order. Some are more or less permanent, some I prefer to do right before a gaming session which I don't like to be interfered:
  • Shutdown your computer by keeping the Shift button down while clicking shutdown. Start normally. That will make the system start from scratch, cleaning corrupted settings.
  • In the Device Manager check that no network related gear has "Allow Windows shut this device down to save energy" checked. Same for any USB and HID gear.
  • Check for pending updates, both for Windows and all your programs. Don't forget Microsoft Store apps.
  • Don't allow seldom used programs start automatically with Windows. Preferably change that in their own Settings. If not applicable, do that in Task Manager
  • Go through Windows settings and disable all unnecessary announcements, background activity, suggestions
  • In Edge and Chrome Settings/System disable "keep running in the background after closing"

Finally, look at the Weather map between your whereabouts and Texas. Ping Plotter may tell you about a problematic hop, the map can tell you why.

So... It took me a couple of days to work through this list, but I didn't find anything that needed to be altered.  But, thanks for the thorough breakdown.  PC tech zoomed past me sometime around 2005, but given enough time I can get through it.  I owe you one.

Decoy

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »

I almost hate to say this, because every time I think I have this problem solved, it pops up again.  But, I did everything on the list except the #1 thing, shut down while holding the shift key.

Hey, presto.  I flew two missions and landed both of them.  But....

On one mission, some guy named chippr shows up in the buffer.  "chippr shot you down."  Followed by the regular buffer traffic.  But I was still flying and I was watching the radar to see if there was anybody close.  There wasn't.  As I said, I landed the mission but I was tempted to morph over to a port to see if I could walk on water.

Any idea what that was?  I'm fairly certain I'm not invulnerable.

Decoy

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 06:49:39 PM »
Did you have drones?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 01:20:15 AM »
 I can't guarantee that the Shift+Shutdown would help but it has become my #1 trick to solve all sorts of problems. I became familiar with it on Dec 7th 2015 (or 2016?) when suddenly the previous evening "half" of Windows 10 computers lost connection. Normal shutdown or reboot didn't fix it. Resetting the IP stacks or removing the network cards (both wifi and ethernet) to let Windows reinstall them worked. And then I found the Shift+Shutdown in a thread discussing the issue. Bang! Easy fixes thereafter! It appeared that none of the three local brick-and-mortar shops here knew about it either...

IMO it's worth trying as it only takes a minute.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni