Author Topic: Headset and vox problems  (Read 790 times)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Headset and vox problems
« on: November 18, 2021, 07:12:17 PM »
Against my better judgement (I'm very hard of hearing) but on the advice of SIK1, I ordered a headset so I could use the vox channel.

I have everything set up, I believe, because when I log in with the headset on, I get all the game sounds and 'some' radio chatter.  However, I'm not sure other players can hear me.

It's a small deal, really, but SIK1 has offered training help, which he says, and I believe, will improve my AH experience.  But SIK1 also says, which I know is true, that he can talk faster than he can type and that vox is the best way to go if he's going to assist me in becoming a better player.

I've used the options/game sounds menu to get 'mostly' everything just right, but I'm still not sure I'm communicating.

If there's a trick or tip I'm missing, I'd be much obliged for any help.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. 

And, I know it's stupid to sign my posts, because my profile identifies it as me, but I am, and always will be,

Decoy
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Headset and vox problems
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:48:14 PM »
Hit the "/" key this opens the radio.  The boxes across the top are "/", alt /, cntrl /, and shift /.( maybe not in that order). On the far right on the top is the voice channel Each of these boxes can be changed to different channels, country, local, squad, help and so on. In the voice channel while on line type in your name in the game and hit enter.

Hit and hold "t" and say something. If you system is set right you will hear your voice saying what ever you said. F12 is the local channel, those that have taken off from the same field, "t" is to which ever channel you tune to. If you type in 177 and another player is tuned to that same channel you can talk to him in this way.

IF you dont hear your voice the first thing to try is to go to windows and test your mic to be sure windows sees it. Next, in the game be sure you have selected the mic in the sounds settings so the game knows which mic you are using.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:54:35 PM »
So, test the mic in windows first. Then move to the game.  Thanks.  I'll give that a try and go from there.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:04:11 PM »
You want the Voice settings.

Turn up the volume slider and turn on boost.

Also make sure you have the mic selected in AH.

Tune to yourself to hear yourself online or tune to Server to hear yourself offline.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 11:05:13 PM »
Decoy, what would be a good time to meet up?
I can help you get your mic set up, and maybe some other things as well.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 06:24:52 AM »
Decoy, what would be a good time to meet up?
I can help you get your mic set up, and maybe some other things as well.

Sik

Check your email for times today 11/19 and over the weekend. and Thanks.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 07:17:04 AM »
You want the Voice settings.

Turn up the volume slider and turn on boost.

Also make sure you have the mic selected in AH.

Tune to yourself to hear yourself online or tune to Server to hear yourself offline.

Perfect.  I had to tweak the mic boost slider, but that's what I needed.  Someone in the game last night told me how to use the T button to transmit, but (thanks to Dale's help very early on) I was able to map the one unused button on my joystick to 'push to talk.'

So, I'm set.  Well, I'm still hard of hearing and stubborn, but my headset is working as advertised, so you get the idea.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 09:28:58 AM »
Glad you got the mic working.

You will probably use the F12 (range channel) more than the T (tuned channel) especially in the beginning. Range channel is any friendly within a given distance from you. Tuned channel only works for people tuned to that channel, but has no range limit within the arena. Range channel also has a transmit time limit of 3 seconds iirc.

Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 08:31:55 PM »
Remember, you can tune radio 5 to your own gameID and hear how you sound.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.