Author Topic: 2007 Redeux?  (Read 11834 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: 2007 Redeux?
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2021, 06:26:13 PM »
They need to do both, stop the punch bowl and raise rates
 as painless as possible but there will be pain IMO

They need the higher rates to attract buyers of our debt as that has been mainly the fed lately

I don't think either will happen as it should but another boogeyman will be enacted to enable more of the same

Not to mention not printing trillions more to buy votes while calling it human infrastructure

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »
A book recommendation to folks.  I think Eagler and CptTrips would *love* this book.

The Mandibles, by Shriver

I think it is an awesome book.  As important as 1984 and Brave New World.

If Fed keeps pumping, I think that we're in for enormous, currency-ruining inflation.  So, precious metals, commodities, real estate, some stocks maybe but not others -- and not cash or bonds.

If the Fed stops pumping, I think that we're in for a gigantic crash (so cash -- but not stocks or bonds).  Followed by an immediate about face with the Fed printing $100 trillion and triggering a monetary supernova.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2021, 10:40:05 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »
Have to wonder what they are preparing for...
It sure isn't covid...omicron is a bad flu at worst and zero symptoms at best...

But listen to the talking heads and it's the end of the world...with potato head surprised at the level of infections though both south Africa and the UK have shown record spread but nothing more..but sleepy is surprised...

They have 10 months to spin it into the same 2020 scenario..and you best believe many are shooting for just that.

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2021, 10:13:36 AM »

There are numerous signals that Russia has sent recently that make me believe invasion is almost certain, as well as a substantial number of reasons for why this is the preferred route for Putin

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1473362460673515527
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2021, 11:09:22 AM »
Have to wonder what they are preparing for...
It sure isn't covid...omicron is a bad flu at worst and zero symptoms at best...

But listen to the talking heads and it's the end of the world...with potato head surprised at the level of infections though both south Africa and the UK have shown record spread but nothing more..but sleepy is surprised...

They have 10 months to spin it into the same 2020 scenario..and you best believe many are shooting for just that.

Eagler

tell the people that have died that it isn't so bad.  dead only know one thing, it's better to be alive.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1473362460673515527

If I had to bet based on what I've read so far...

Ground is freezing hard now allowing them to accelerate pushing forces into the front lines and pre-positioned forward locations.
They have probably agreed not jump off until after the Beijing Olympics to not embarrass the Chinese  who have probably promised them what ever economic aid and trade needed to offset Western sanctions.

That gives Putin two final months to try and scare the West into Neville Chamberlain-like concessions.  That will of course fail.  Their demands are ludicrous and even Putin doesn't think there is any chance getting that lucky.  But it's worth a roll of the dice while he is waiting for the closing Olympic ceremonies.

So I'd expect tanks to roll the very end of Feb, maybe first week of Mar. My guess is that they would think they could make a blitzkrieg dash to take the eastern half of the Ukraine before muddy season sets in.  Then hunker down and reinforce.   By the time ground dries and hardens again, it's a done deal.  Impossible to push them back out short of nuclear war.  We won't go that far for poor Ukraine.  Sorry.  We'll slam them with sanctions and China will pour in support to offset.  I don't get the feeling Putin is bluffing or that NATO will give him personal veto power over NATO membership. 

China probably wouldn't move on Taiwan until winter 2022.  After the Communist Congress.  As soon as Panda-boy secures his next 5-year mandate, he has a free hand to act.  And Russia will publicly support them, at least with propaganda and UN veto.

Sadly, I think Taiwan is another Wake Island.  It is undefendable.  It's too far into China's backyard, and too easily covered by Chinese land-based assets.  We shouldn't put any U.S. forces within reach of those land-based weapons. I hope we are realistically communicating the the Taiwanese how far we will and won't go in helping them.  You can't sink a continent, but you can sink aircraft carriers.

Our forces should be kept at more defensible position.  Japan, Korea, Philippines, Australia.  If China wants to expand further, they'll have to stick their necks out and then we'll have the positional advantage to make it hurt.  Those southern most man-made islands look like juicy targets. 

2022 is going to be another interesting year I'm afraid.  Hope I'm completely wrong though.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:58:28 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2021, 12:26:45 PM »
Yep my guess is that by the end of 2022 both will be controlled by different regimes

They see this as a perfect time as no one has the will to fight over them.. Russia and China will win both..

I am more curious about Australia..will anyone come to their defense if China really tries to flex?

I am not sure there is....

If there is any resistance,  another round of delta++ will shut everything down and reduce any effort to stop them...they have the perfect bioweapon established currently providing any paranoia needed..

They also have to act prior to any economic collapse as that would inspire and motivate some to go to war as a possible way out of their increasing depression and civil unrest..

Eagler

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2021, 12:34:19 PM »

I am more curious about Australia..will anyone come to their defense if China really tries to flex?

Yes, we will. 

They are mostly whi ..er..of European descent, and speak English (sorta).

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:50:23 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »
If Taiwan goes there goes any chip supply for the US ...

I think that alone might make it worth trying to save which I do not believe we have the stomach for these days...

One carrier goes down and its immediate withdrawal as we won't go where that would take us ..nukes IMO

Not sure what the world gets from Australia that would risk an all out war with China and her allies to try to save..

Eagler

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2021, 01:08:13 PM »
They need to do both, stop the punch bowl and raise rates
 as painless as possible but there will be pain IMO

They need the higher rates to attract buyers of our debt as that has been mainly the fed lately

I don't think either will happen as it should but another boogeyman will be enacted to enable more of the same

Not to mention not printing trillions more to buy votes while calling it human infrastructure

Eagler

Seems that raising the rates high enough to check inflation would make the US debt untenable.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »

Seems that raising the rates high enough to check inflation would make the US debt untenable.

It already is but yes any rate increase is just financial suicide but the alternative is out of control inflation which is where we are headed quickly..

https://www.usdebtclock.org/

They have kicked the can for decades

There is no way out of this without feeling pain in numerous ways which is exactly what scares the bejesus out of the politicians...as they will be blamed and hopefully fired at the minimum

Eagler

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
you guys forget the 80s when if you had great credit a house loan was only 18%. banks paid 5% interest and credit cards were charging you 20+.

it isn't the end of the world.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2021, 09:26:42 PM »
you guys forget the 80s when if you had great credit a house loan was only 18%. banks paid 5% interest and credit cards were charging you 20+.

it isn't the end of the world.

semp

It might feel that way to regular working folk. 

When you are just barely scraping by with a family and you rent is going from $800 to $1200/mo  at the same time gas to get to your chitty job is going from $3/gal to $5/gal to $8/gal.  When you had just retired and watch your 401k nest egg you spent a lifetime building drop %80 in value.  Yeah, it will eventually come back.  In 6-12 years.  Meanwhile you might have to sell some of it at pennies on the dollar to eat on waiting for it to recover. 

Yeah, life will continue, but a lot of people who did absolutely nothing wrong might end up have lives and retirements and dreams crushed.  Look at the shocking drop in birth rates.  Young people are not seeing a future they want to start a family in.  You would have thought with all that time stuck at home during the pandemic there would be a baby boom.  Nope. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2021, 08:41:38 AM »
Add Idiocracy to the mix where only the dumbest breed the most and it looks even rosier

When you have to tell your new ENT what pronoun to call you by (online registration asked this and other bizarre gender questions), the world is jacked up...

Sorry semp I remember the 80's and this ain't it.

Eagler