Author Topic: Can Aces High 3 and Aces High 2 Co-exist?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can Aces High 3 and Aces High 2 Co-exist?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
The problem is this community has a terminal case of intellectual constipation.  No plan is perfect and no idea doesn't have a flaw or a drawback.  So the negative neighbobs stew in their learned helplessness and say "that won't work"..."no point in trying that" ... "that won't make a difference"... to succeed you eventually have to be willing to take chances in life.  Not everything succeeds but learned helplessness not only is guaranteed to fail, but is a rotten way to live.  Fortune favors the bold.

Yes, many, many is the time we've seen him say, "Well, I think it's a good idea but a half dozen people on the forum said it isn't, so I'm not going to do it."  He's still the only guy you have to convince.

Personally I think the outcome would be somewhere in the vicinity of most of the GVers/mixed players would go to AHII and most of the plane people would stay in AHIII.  That might fix a lot of the "Wirbs suck!  GV bombers suck!" whining.  It might also give people a more accurate picture of the number of people who are actually in the arena doing something they might want to be a part of.

All for the cost of a new server and some rebranding.

Or, if we want something that would actually work and bring in a bunch of new people, go F2P/one time purchase and revamp the gameplay entirely to be more inline with what people expect in a modern game.  This is just another form of hospice.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Half of my squad left, not because of the money, and not because of any plane type, Aces High II or III.

When we played during Euro TZ, the numbers in Melee Arena was becoming below acceptable, and the big maps that stayed for a week did kill the fun.

Some players in my squad flew higher ENY planes with less than stellar performance,  the AWACS radar rendered them close to useless, they could not hide even behind a huge mountain, and could be intercepted by radar vectoring.

Even in dogfights when someone lost SA they could regain it - by  looking at radar alone.

The scenarios was the main reason I stayed on much longer than I would have done, but the Melee Arena was not for me anymore.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
Some players in my squad flew higher ENY planes with less than stellar performance,  the AWACS radar rendered them close to useless, they could not hide even behind a huge mountain, and could be intercepted by radar vectoring.

Even in dogfights when someone lost SA they could regain it - by  looking at radar alone.

To me as a solo flyer, the tail warning radar and AWACS is the biggest of several gripes  I have with the current AH. When goon hunting, I didn't even need to look for it, just had to fly in circles with my map open. Trying to sneak up unto an enemy Jabo raid from their low 6? No chance, someone will have the map up. Or even better, some friends in the tower 200 miles away will spot you, because you show up on their map too, no matter what! Flying a plane with a bad rear view? No problem, there's the map.
Your TBM will show up as a bomber, as does the single Mossie I spotted at a distance too far away for visual identification.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Maps should have a time out..so many hours and no winner, whoever is ahead wins and next map is swapped in

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »
Maps should have a time out..so many hours and no winner, whoever is ahead wins and next map is swapped in

They do have one.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2021, 06:49:30 PM »
Then it should be shortened IMO

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »

To me as a solo flyer, the tail warning radar and AWACS is the biggest of several gripes  I have with the current AH. When goon hunting, I didn't even need to look for it, just had to fly in circles with my map open. Trying to sneak up unto an enemy Jabo raid from their low 6? No chance, someone will have the map up. Or even better, some friends in the tower 200 miles away will spot you, because you show up on their map too, no matter what! Flying a plane with a bad rear view? No problem, there's the map.
Your TBM will show up as a bomber, as does the single Mossie I spotted at a distance too far away for visual identification.

This is my issue with the current radar as well. Once you are spotted, it's over, they will b-line it right to you.

I don't understand why Hitech decided to change the whole thing rather than just make the radar harder to take down at bases like I've said time and time again. You could turn it up to 2500 pounds or 2000 pounds to take out a radar. This would have been a very simple yet effective solution. It would have kept the dot dar up a lot longer which was the real issue.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
The change to the "AWACS Radar" was made because many people complained they could not find an enemy to fight with.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2021, 07:02:11 AM »
The change to the "AWACS Radar" was made because many people complained they could not find an enemy to fight with.

Back to maps being too large and action too spread out for the current numbers of subscribers

Eagler

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »

True.  And it has admirably served that goal.

- oldman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »

Back to maps being too large and action too spread out for the current numbers of subscribers

Eagler

Both true, but again, that's because the first thing every noob does when they attack a base is shoot the radar down to prevent the dot dar. All it needed was to be strengthend to 2000 pounds and it would have stayed up longer most of the time
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Pandora

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2021, 05:52:58 PM »
Went to find the old joystick today.  Itching to fly again, it has been a long time- too long.

V2 did look old.  However, did that affect the playability of the game?

I argue that V3 caused more latency than V2 and this made the game unplayable for most outside the USofA.

Granted, the V2 maps badly needed updating.  However, the V3 maps were dreadful!

Why was AA added between bases?  To look after GVs I suppose?  All well and good but it put a stop to a lot of great dog fighting because the AA would get you long before your opponent did.

I so, so miss flying and I have to admit that I did enjoy some of the tank battles.  Wouldn't it be nice to have arenas that are pure GV and pure flying?

What I noticed most about V2 was that player feedback was largely ignored or never asked for.  There seemed to be suprise among game staff that anyone could possibly be upset about this new gem and this could have been avoided if player feedback had been taken into consideration.

The main problem with V2 maps was that they were way, way too big.  IIRC they were designed for 300 players at a time.  It took far too long to get engaged in a fight and that made it boring.

What I enjoyed SO much back in the day was :-

1.  the furballs 
2.  the one on one dogfights
3.  joint GV / air base takes

What I feel the game also needs is marketing and bringing up to date.   
1.  This website looks like something out of the 90s. 
2.  No one in gaming is using a forum like this anymore.  Discord specifically designed for gamers and is sooo much better!
3.  I can't remember EVER seeing an advert for this game anywhere.

Hitech. 
You have to stop taking criticism personally and recognise that your players, your customers, are the people who will champion you to other gamers. 
Players and Hitech have to find a way to work as a team to create something that everyone is happy with.

There was a lot of talk in the game about realism.  Well that's all well and good, but what it has to be first and foremost is FUN and oh my god I miss that!

There was a lot of unnecessary toxicity between players in the arenas.  There is no need for chat between each side in a battle, it just gets nasty.

New players were used for target practise and got driven out of the game.

AH_Pandora

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2021, 10:04:15 PM »
Went to find the old joystick today.  Itching to fly again, it has been a long time- too long.

Dude!

Get back here.  Please.

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »

I argue that V3 caused more latency than V2 and this made the game unplayable for most outside the USofA.

Granted, the V2 maps badly needed updating.  However, the V3 maps were dreadful!

Why was AA added between bases?  To look after GVs I suppose?  All well and good but it put a stop to a lot of great dog fighting because the AA would get you long before your opponent did.

I so, so miss flying and I have to admit that I did enjoy some of the tank battles.  Wouldn't it be nice to have arenas that are pure GV and pure flying?

What I noticed most about V2 was that player feedback was largely ignored or never asked for.  There seemed to be suprise among game staff that anyone could possibly be upset about this new gem and this could have been avoided if player feedback had been taken into consideration.

The main problem with V2 maps was that they were way, way too big.  IIRC they were designed for 300 players at a time.  It took far too long to get engaged in a fight and that made it boring.

What I enjoyed SO much back in the day was :-

1.  the furballs 
2.  the one on one dogfights
3.  joint GV / air base takes

What I feel the game also needs is marketing and bringing up to date.   
1.  This website looks like something out of the 90s. 
2.  No one in gaming is using a forum like this anymore.  Discord specifically designed for gamers and is sooo much better!
3.  I can't remember EVER seeing an advert for this game anywhere.

Hitech. 
You have to stop taking criticism personally and recognise that your players, your customers, are the people who will champion you to other gamers. 
Players and Hitech have to find a way to work as a team to create something that everyone is happy with.

There was a lot of talk in the game about realism.  Well that's all well and good, but what it has to be first and foremost is FUN and oh my god I miss that!

There was a lot of unnecessary toxicity between players in the arenas.  There is no need for chat between each side in a battle, it just gets nasty.

New players were used for target practise and got driven out of the game.

AH_Pandora

hey pandora hope to see you in the game.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 01:36:05 AM »

The playability has never been a problem, especially not when it comes to air-to-air fights. Outdated graphics has been the pet peeve for many who've tried to explain why the player count isn't as high as it used to be. That argument became even more prominent after the release of V3.

The release of V3 has not affected the latency by any means, since I started AH1 the ping has been about 180 ms and the variance in delay has been steady at the zero line. There's been occasional issues with the overseas connections which could easily be explained: Back in AH1 the British and Central European banks sent their data at about 9 PM for about an hour, using most of the capacity. Later the main resource hog has been Level3 and their contracts with big names like Netflix. A new series, some sport events or the election of the President of the USA can fill the undersea cable. Storms between New York and Texas affect us too but those affect the US players as well. The increased graphics requirements have nothing to do with latency as the data sent hasn't actually changed: Where the planes are, what are their directions and speed. Those are pretty simple lightweight numbers in a simple chart. The graphics happen on each one's own computer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni