Author Topic: Good Books  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Good Books
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 08:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Widewing.  Many of us will now add these to our collection.

In the meantime:  Where the heck have you been?

- oldman

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »
Hey there! I retired in Feb 2020. A few years prior, I lost my wife to cancer. Remarried in Nov 2019. Sold my Long Island home, living on Florida's Space Coast. I have a consulting contract with my former aerospace employer. Keeps me busy a few hours, several days a week. We've been traveling some. Enjoying my hobby of pistol shooting. Had double cataract surgery in October. New eyes... Confirmed what the old eyes and mirror showed me... Still funny looking. Been doing some manuscript editing. Swimming two miles, 5 times a week. Bicycling many of Florida's State and Federal parks. Bought the wife an electric mountain bike. Now tables are turned. I have to work hard to keep up with her. All in all, enjoying my retirement. How have you been? Healthy, I hope.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 02:16:02 PM »
Hey there! I retired in Feb 2020. A few years prior, I lost my wife to cancer. Remarried in Nov 2019. Sold my Long Island home, living on Florida's Space Coast. I have a consulting contract with my former aerospace employer. Keeps me busy a few hours, several days a week. We've been traveling some. Enjoying my hobby of pistol shooting. Had double cataract surgery in October. New eyes... Confirmed what the old eyes and mirror showed me... Still funny looking. Been doing some manuscript editing. Swimming two miles, 5 times a week. Bicycling many of Florida's State and Federal parks. Bought the wife an electric mountain bike. Now tables are turned. I have to work hard to keep up with her. All in all, enjoying my retirement. How have you been? Healthy, I hope.

Sounds like you're a happy retiree, good to hear.  Lawyers die at their desks, so no retirement here, although I've managed to eliminate the international cases.  Had a TIA and lost my medical, so AH is the next best thing.  SPEAKING OF WHICH, you should come back and give it a try.

- oldman

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 06:27:20 PM »
Hey there! I retired in Feb 2020.

I retired in 2007 and honestly, if I had to take a job today at 40 hours/week, I don't know where I'd find the time.  For someone with no real job, I'm the busiest SOB I know.  Go. Fight. Win.  Or not. 
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 03:54:36 PM »
I've read everything Barrett Tillman has written, great author IMO, his book "Warriors" featuring the F20 was a favorite of mine in high school.  6th Battle was a good fiction book as well, his non fiction stuff is excellent IMO.  Thanks for that post Widewing, I'll add a bunch of those to my list for the new year.

A great aviation author that doesn't get much attention is Mark Berent.  He has a 5 book series featuring the Vietnam war, a lot of his experiences are woven into the story, and they are all excellent.  He has a few non fiction books as well.  Rolling Thunder is his first book, Steel Tiger the second, and they are worth every penny. 

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 02:52:52 PM »

Sounds like you're a happy retiree, good to hear.  Lawyers die at their desks, so no retirement here, although I've managed to eliminate the international cases.  Had a TIA and lost my medical, so AH is the next best thing.  SPEAKING OF WHICH, you should come back and give it a try.

- oldman

Oldman forgot to mention you rejoining the Training Corp, too. Perhaps you're the anointed one, who could strip away my 20+ years of unbridled dweebery.  :devil