Author Topic: Good Books  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Good Books
« on: December 13, 2021, 12:37:25 AM »
I just finished reading "Samurai" , the autobiography of Saburo Sakai. And now reading "The Blond Knight of Germany" which is a biography of Erich Hartmann's life and time flying for Germany in WWII and becoming the worlds highest scoring fighter pilot of all time.

Just a thought for any flight nut or anyone interested.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Good Books
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 02:22:24 PM »
In deference to this time... Dune by Frank Herbert
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
read samurai years ago, was a good book.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
In deference to this time... Dune by Frank Herbert

On a parallel with Dune is The Mote in God's Eye.  Those two are my go to sci-fi works.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »
Yes Ramesis...Dune is one of my all time Favorites. I read it when I was in High school in the 60's.

Decoy...the Mote in God's Eye rings a bell. Not sure if I read that one or not.

Another of my scifi favorites was "Childhoods End".  Oh, and "Battlefield Earth".

Offline dieter

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »
Loved the Mote in God's Eye, great book. Another Really good one in my opinion, is "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.  The whole series is a blast.  "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman has a nice twist to it.  I think for the Pacific theatre of war, I really liked Robert Leckie's "Strong Men Armed". 

ULDieter

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »
Loved the Mote in God's Eye, great book. Another Really good one in my opinion, is "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.  The whole series is a blast.  "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman has a nice twist to it.  I think for the Pacific theatre of war, I really liked Robert Leckie's "Strong Men Armed". 

ULDieter

For WWII Pacific Theater operations, a good fiction writer is W.E.B. Griffin, which is William Edmund Butterworth's pen name.  His series The Corps spends a lot of time talking about the Marine invasion of Guadalcanal.  His Honor Bound series also details life on Guadalcanal.   The Fighting Agents series begins with Naval pilots recruited by Gen. Claire Chenault for service in the American Volunteer Group, also known as The Flying Tigers.  Griffin is very historically accurate with his writing, although he does take literary license with the names of people involved.  I also recommend his Brotherhood of War series, which chronicles the development of Army Aviation from puddle jumpers used to spot artillery to what it became in the 1960s.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 09:08:52 PM »
Yes Ramesis...Dune is one of my all time Favorites. I read it when I was in High school in the 60's.

Decoy...the Mote in God's Eye rings a bell. Not sure if I read that one or not.

Another of my scifi favorites was "Childhoods End".  Oh, and "Battlefield Earth".

That was a great book, I was soooooo disappointed when the movie came out, what a joke!

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 02:00:41 PM »
That was a great book, I was soooooo disappointed when the movie came out, what a joke!
The first or Dune Part 1...
I really hate they split Dune into 2 parts... I would not mind but
I guess I need to stay alive until the part 2 is released  :cheers:
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
The first or Dune Part 1...
I really hate they split Dune into 2 parts... I would not mind but
I guess I need to stay alive until the part 2 is released  :cheers:

No I was talking about battlefield earth. The newest Dune was fantastic but the movie people were worried about it doing well so they didnt even order the second one until the first was already released. So ya, got to stay alive until the next one comes out.

Books are always better than the movies, but now and then they get it together just right.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »

Books are always better than the movies, but now and then they get it together just right.

Always, because the director's perception of the events in the book is never the same as that of the individual reader.  The best example I can point to is the mini-series Lonesome Dove.  That's because McMurtry originally wrote the book as a script for a mini-series.  He' couldn't sell it, so he re-wrote it as a television series with a two hour premiere/pilot that was the cattle drive, but that wouldn't sell.  So he said, "Screw them, I'll write the book I want to write," and wrote a Pulitzer Prize winner.  When Hollywood got in touch with his agent about a possible mini-series, it was already done.

Books allow you to get inside a character's head, movies just don't, no matter how good the narrative.  Just my opinion.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »
All lies Americans do not read books.

They just eat all the time.

Origins of the 2nd world war -AJP Taylor  :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
The Bible..... oh wait... ok. I thought you meant... awww never mind.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 08:57:54 PM »
If you own a dog or have had one in the past you might enjoy
Suspect, by Robert Crais. He has had several New York Times best sellers.
It is written through the eyes of the dog’s owner and through the eyes of his dog. There is fast action and you will most likely finish it in three days. I enjoyed it.

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 01:50:41 PM »
I'm going to give a plug to a new friend's books. Barrett Tillman hooked us up. Tom Cleaver sent me four books to read, and asked me to post a review to Amazon in exchange. "Pull no punches", he said.

Well, after almost two months of reading, I finally finished his "Pacific War Quadrilogy". What is this? Cleaver's four volumes of WWII Pacific war aviation history. These books focus on Naval and Army Air Force Aviation, but Cleaver does not exclude other events and services. Indeed, he weaves every event in the Pacific war into a stunning narrative. I was very pleased and entertained with all of them.

When I use the term “narrative”, I refer to his page turning flow that grabs one's attention and keeps it. There have been other highly readable and compelling narratives written on warfare. Shelby Foote's huge three volume history on the American Civil War has been the standard on the topic. Cleaver has achieved something very similar with his four volumes. I will compare it to Tolkien's fantasy Lord of the Rings trilogy in terms of readability and construction. Comparing Cleaver's work to Foote and Tolkien places him in rarefied company. Yet, I do not hesitate to do so within the context of the subject matter.

Perhaps, it results from Cleaver's aviation experience. More than that, I believe, his ability is an amalgam of his natural story telling talent, fine tuned by his experience as a screen writer. Add to that his researching skills and many, many contacts with veterans, and the result is a outstanding narrative that covers prewar to postwar.

These four volumes, “I Will Run Wild”, “Under  the Southern Cross”, “Pacific Thunder” and “Tidal Wave” should best be read in consecutive order. All of them are outstanding alone. However, in sequence, they provide what may be the best all-inclusive history of the Pacific war. Cleaver details the interim event between the major engagements, such as the Battle of the Coral Sea, Midway, Guadalcanal and the like. In between these major battles were many lesser, but still important events. Cleaver fills in the gaps, focused upon the aviators, sailors and soldiers who performed incredible heroic acts. Yet, he also provides detailed history of the prior or subsequent major engagements.

Consider those U.S. service personnel and civilians, scattered throughout the Pacific on outposts and peacetime deployments. Those, who immediately after Pearl Harbor, fighting with obsolete equipment, having little to no support, performed near miracles. Cleaver brings their remarkable stories to life in “I will Run Wild”.
“Under the Southern Cross” details the air and sea campaign in the SWPA theater. Cleaver fills the narrative with compelling story telling of the air war and the extremely important sea engagements, where American failure often teetered on the ragged edge.

“Pacific Thunder” defines the events, from where the U.S. Navy was hanging on by its finger tips, through the rapid growth of air and naval power from the summer of 1943, through the largest naval engagement in history: The Battles of Leyte Gulf, where thereafter, Japanese naval power simply ceased to exist.

“Tidal Wave” provides a detailed account of the greatest naval force the world had ever seen. Cleaver picks up after Leyte Gulf and carries the reader through the final ten months of the Pacific war. It is engrossing and Cleaver brings home the terror of Japanese kamikaze assaults and the end of Japan's ability to project conventional military power. Cleaver leads us through those events that led to the shores of the Japanese home islands.

Within his four volume narrative, Cleaver doesn't hesitate to skewer false history. He does not perpetuate mythology. He corrects the mythology and gives credit where it is due, often to those long overdue the recognition and overlooked by less detail oriented writers.

Simply stated, these four volumes should be on every must have list of WWII aviation and history enthusiasts.
I was so enthralled in these volumes, that I purchased them as audio books as well, so that I could continue to enjoy them while driving or working around our home. So, he ended up selling me books anyway! :)

Prior to reading Cleaver's “quadrilogy”, I had read several of  Mr. Cleaver's other works. These include, “Holding the Line”, “Fabled Fifteen” and “The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club”. All highly recommended. Some of you may already have some of Tom's books. I did find a factual error in "Holding the Line". It related to aircraft performance, and having copies of related Navy test data, I sent him copies for his own records. It wasn't an important mistake, but the type of error people like me would instantly spot. He was exceptionally gracious with this minor criticism. Apparently, his publisher's tech editor missed it.

All four volumes described above are available in hardcover, soft cover, Kindle and Audible audiobooks from Amazon.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 02:25:18 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.