Author Topic: Early Spit and Hurri carburetor negative g engine stall  (Read 1006 times)

Offline RAG

• Zinc Member
Early Spit and Hurri carburetor negative g engine stall
« on: January 05, 2022, 02:35:55 AM »
I'm not doubting Hitech's modelling :) but was the sensitivity of the early spit and hurri to stall during negative g (due to the float controlled carburetor) really as sensitive as it is in aces high?
I only have to fart and it stalls.

Oh and yes Dale, please can i fly these two planes free in the MA :aok with only 25% fuel allowed and no ords :devil

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Early Spit and Hurri carburetor negative g engine stall
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
I'm not doubting Hitech's modelling :) but was the sensitivity of the early spit and hurri to stall during negative g (due to the float controlled carburetor) really as sensitive as it is in aces high?

Oh and yes Dale, please can i fly these two planes free in the MA :aok with only 25% fuel allowed and no ords

Hard to answer the first question due to the shortage of people who actually flew one of them.  My own experience is that you pretty quickly become accustomed to the sensitivity. 

As to the second question:  Some of us would be delighted to be limited to these two planes, even at 25% fuel.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 10:29:37 AM »
Negative g is negative g. I am going to GUESS that it was very susceptible.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »

Oh and yes Dale, please can i fly these two planes free in the MA :aok with only 25% fuel allowed and no ords :devil

Easy solution:  Quit farting.

Additionally, as a technique, remembering to roll inverted and keeping positive G works fairly well in the heat of battle.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 01:25:52 PM »
If memory serves me right there was a lady who used to be utterly fatal in a Hurri 1.

Then again, girls don't fart...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 02:08:45 PM »
If memory serves me right there was a lady who used to be utterly fatal in a Hurri 1.

This was Schatzi, active in 2004-2008, for some time also an AH Trainer. She used to fly Hurri I a lot. But 'utterly fatal' is quite some exaggeration, though  :)

On the topic of carburetor stall, I used to fly the Hurri I quite a bit with some good success in my days, but when I took her out again recently I was very much surprised how quickly the engine dies today. It seemed to be much quicker now, but for now that's just a feeling. Maybe I will test it later, I still have a copy of AH II resting somewhere...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 02:13:48 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »
Schatzi indeed. A very nice young lady... But is it really that long since she was active and visited our Spring Meeting?
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 04:03:32 PM »
Brits are lucky the germans were stupid and made the fighters stay with the bombers otherwise BOB would have probably turned out different

Those carbs are the worse and those fighters would have been slaughtered by the Gallant led 109e's and 110's IMO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 07:56:55 PM »
Schatzi indeed. A very nice young lady... But is it really that long since she was active and visited our Spring Meeting?

That was fifteen years ago she and Schutt visited you guys. Incredible, isn't it?  :old:

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 08:02:26 PM »

Then again, girls don't fart...

You're referring to the one and only.....Schatzi!!  :old:  Oops...Snailman beat me to the punch.  :ahand

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 02:32:07 AM »

That was fifteen years ago she and Schutt visited you guys. Incredible, isn't it?  :old:
It feels like they were here just a few meetings before the 'rona restrictions... Like some five years ago instead of fifteen. I was forty-something and now fifty-something, doesn't that make about ten years only? Math doesn't lie, does it? That said, mathematicians may stretch the absolute truth to suit their needs as you may well know...

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 03:14:28 AM »
I was forty-something and now fifty-something, doesn't that make about ten years only?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 03:29:16 AM »
It seemed to be much quicker now, but for now that's just a feeling. Maybe I will test it later, I still have a copy of AH II resting somewhere...

My perception was wrong. I tested it again in AH2 and AH3, and it's the same.