Author Topic: Anyone using a Virpil J stick base?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Anyone using a Virpil J stick base?
« on: January 17, 2022, 04:53:25 PM »
I'm looking to lower the tension toque of a TM Warthog J-stick and someone mentioned the Virpil base, saying the springs were adjustable. Would love to gather more info if anyone can provide it.

:salute

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Anyone using a Virpil J stick base?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 06:29:31 PM »
Max,
I'm using an original Virpil T-50 Mongoos. It differs slightly from the current version, but they are both highly customizable. You can change springs, and adjust the tension on the springs. The cam profiles can also be changed. There is also the WarBRD base, it's not as customizable as the Mongoos, but you can still change springs, and cam profiles. Neither is cheap with the Mongoos cm2 running around $330, and the WarBRD around $215, plus the cost of shipping. I didn't check to see what they were going for on ebay, but for a while they cost more second hand than they did new. Your Warthog grip will mount right up to either base.

:salute
Sik

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
 Thanks!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 02:04:29 PM »
The TM grips (Warthog, Cougar, F18, and all the other ones companies make with the same format plug in system) all work on the Virpil bases great.

Just be aware that if you're going to use the Warbrd base on your desktop, it will sit a BIT higher than what you're used to with the Thrustmaster base. 

I can provide a picture of both side by side for comparison if you feel this may be something you want to check out first.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 08:59:05 PM »
Virpil makes great products. I'm wondering though if ordering a joystick base will come with the proper firmware for the exact stick Max wants to combine. If not, that will require flashing the eprom which again, hopefully, will make it an easy process.
My MT-50M2 Throttle was sold as having an 8-way POV hat but out of the box, it was a 4-way. I found nothing on the web to explain how to reconfigure the firmware for the 8-way and it took some doing to make it work. Any 4-way plus center push on this throttle can be made into an 8-way so the same is probably true with their joystick base, which I don't have.

In case anyone else wants to do this...

Seems like a good place to post this. 17 is the center button, 18-21 the 4 buttons. POVs set to 4b8w (4button8way), then the logic POV1U etc where the 1 is for logical hat number 1.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:05:07 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 07:17:14 AM »
If I remember correctly when setting up the warbird base you designate which stick you are mating it with.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
Due to budget constraints, rather than pursue the Virpil base, I ordered up a 10 cm handle extension and base spring with less tension. There's a guy in Poland who does this. Total cost with shipping was $137

I'll let you know how they work out.

Thanks for the replies  :aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »
If I remember correctly when setting up the warbird base you designate which stick you are mating it with.

Correct - I've mounted both the Thrustmaster Warthog grip, Cougar Grip, and the TM F18 Hornet grip on both Warbrd and T50CM2 bases.  I only ever put my TM WH grip on my T50Cm1 bases, but I've since retired/sold those, so I'm not sure if the Cougar or Hornet grip work on the older units.

Max, glad you made a decision, hope that works for you!