Author Topic: Thursday morning Brain dump: Game play ideas  (Read 1274 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
Re: Thursday morning Brain dump: Game play ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
Love OP's consistent enthusiasm for the game. I'm with HT though on this one.

If its not broken don't fix it. Took me a long time to accept that but I see the light now  :cheers:  :bolt:
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 09:41:34 AM »
Good ideas but, like Eagler, I don't see it happening.

Although, it seems to me that limiting the size of bombers available at small fields would be incredibly simple to implement.  WBs does that, so there might be an infringement of some sort, but I can't really see how.

Restricting certain aircraft to specific types of bases or specific base is an arena setting. Very easily done. I like the idea myself, limit Small Airfield bombers to twin engine bombers, maximum. That still gives you some pretty devastating bomb loads. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 10:19:38 AM »
Thanks for all your reactions and comments, guys.  Good reading!   

Most of these ideas were brainstormed as larger, gameplay altering mods, just in the kicking around stage.  I appreciate critical comments just as much as the others; its often difficult for me to see the negative consequences of changes I've thought of.   

Some changes, it turns out, were just small, arena setting type changes, e.g. restricting large bombers from small airfields.    I don't know that there is a problem to solve there.  I wonder how often that happens anyway.  But it does make sense to me that heavy bombers would require hard-surfaced runways from regular operations.

Enabling external view of GVs is for the purpose of examining your vehicle's skin - since external view is sort of 'locked' in at your vehicle no matter how you move the camera around.  I don't think it would help in spotting other vehicles nearby.   But Greebo has made some fantastic skins and currently the only way to see them up close is offline.

Here's another small idea - not game-play changing by any means - but I think the flags at towns and field towers should have a sound effect of "flapping in the wind" associated to them.  A loop of the current parachute sound effect could be used, and its range could be a couple hundred feet, and if you're in tower it wouldn't be audible.   Just a small sound effect to enhance realism - the same way birds and dogs barking are audible if you bail out and walk around the countryside for a bit.   Sometimes it can be small details in a game that create a lasting impression of the game's quality on somebody.   I think it's quite often a player in a vehicle in town guarding the map room shuts down his engine, so this change would have an impact on a fair number of people.   

Happy Friday all!