Author Topic: VBK ministicks any good for 8-way POV?  (Read 638 times)

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
VBK ministicks any good for 8-way POV?
« on: February 20, 2022, 06:53:06 PM »
Hi all.

Thinking of retiring my CH FighterStick. I still use the 8-way PoV hat for views as I don't have the necessity/motivation to re-train myself in AH to use the excellent SmoothTrack + Opentrack combo that works flawlessly in DCS.

So, wondering what the community experience is with using a VBK Gunfighter Mk.III Modern Combat Edition mini-stick in digital 8-way mode (I think it has that capability). I suppose it would be tricky initially to hit the diagonals, but that it's perhaps just a matter of training. Anyone doing this?

I'm supposing in the world of head-tracking and VR that 8-way hats are just no longer a thing; and that I need to learn to play AH with head tracking.

Thanks all. :joystick:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: VBK ministicks any good for 8-way POV?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
I've had the GF+MCG-Pro combo for a few years now. The 8-way hat works fine. That particular hat has a dual purpose. All the hats have a center press too. A long press turns it to a two axis hat. A short press centers them. Another long press brings it back to the 8-way hat. Very handy feature. I the axii for elevator and aileron trim.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:16 PM »
Thank you, Sir. I have just ordered the GF MCG Pro.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 06:47:51 AM »
You're gonna love it. Best stick ever. The software is tough to get used to but it's really powerful. It'll let you do things with a button or hat you'd never thought of!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 07:59:58 AM »
Yeah, I’m pretty excited. The old CH Fighterstick has served me well but the 8-way hat is losing sensitivity again and my first repair of that meant butchering a 4-way. Would have happily repaired it again but need something better for when the DCS AH-64 is released, so my AH flying will benefit, too.

I had a try at head tracking in AH and think it’s gonna be fine, but I’ll have all the functionality for however I want to run it.