Author Topic: OMG! VR is fantastic!  (Read 3719 times)

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
OMG! VR is fantastic!
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
I flew Aces High 2 for quite a few years, back a decade ago...  I always had a decent stick and throttle...  Always had rudder pedals...  But I always struggled with the rudder...  With multiple monitors and TrackIR, the rudder never felt right to me.

I've got a modest amount of real life flight time, and the rudder simply never felt right...

Today, I had my first Aces High VR experience.

OMG!  I can fly a hammerhead and it actually feels like a hammerhead.

This is so amazing!

If you're still holding out on VR...  Don't...  It's amazing. 

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
Re: OMG! VR is fantastic!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 08:35:12 PM »
Only one question for you guys who have been flying with VR for awhile....

How do you keep from knocking over your glass of fine 12 year old scotch with these head sets on?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 09:14:43 PM by PFactorDavid »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »
Lol it's a thing that's gonna happen at least once until you figure a safe place to put the beverage! It was only a beer for me but a good high test IPA!

Actually first time was a cup of coffee doing the oculus controller training. Reached out to catch something on VR and crushed my coffee.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:08:29 PM »
 :banana:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 04:45:28 AM »
Hint for your next purchase: Washable metal straws are a necessity.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 06:07:02 AM »

How do you keep from knocking over your glass of fine 12 year old scotch with these head sets on?
VR....It was the best of times and it was the Worst of Times!  :rofl   It is a Right of passage, it seems!  Many A tear was shed!  I chalk it up to x3 "The Angles Share"!  VR is awesome enough, for that sacrifice :cheers:   This has been biggest "HOW TOO", other than "Typing on 200" for 5 years now! :rofl BW1stpar/ULcapkid...want a wing man...look me up...usually Bishop, but isnt set in stone. Always willing to help out!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:12:57 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 07:31:43 AM »

I don't remember the name but there's a way to do a 'look through' your headset if you have to do something in the 'real' world.  That said my beer always sits in the exact same place to my right safely away from any devices and I'm reflexively trained to reach it without looking
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 07:36:53 AM »
I drink gin and tonics with a straw. I tilt my head back and look down the side of my nose to spot and grab the glass. Only have lost one as a casualty.

To use the "look thru" with the Quest I think if you have it enabled you tap the side of the mask twice to turn it on and twice again to turn it off.

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 08:06:29 AM »

To use the "look thru" with the Quest I think if you have it enabled you tap the side of the mask twice to turn it on and twice again to turn it off.

Ya, this is true.  I think you have to turn it on in the settings somewhere.

Read somewhere on here that it can mess with your stick mappings though so I havent tried it yet.  Still trying to get everything mapped on my sticks.  Got most of the stuff for flying mapped, but as I have been zipping around the TA, I am discovering some of the old muscle memories from before are coming back and have had to re map some stuff like where my flaps are etc.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 08:50:04 AM »
Ya, this is true.  I think you have to turn it on in the settings somewhere.

Read somewhere on here that it can mess with your stick mappings though so I haven't tried it yet.  Still trying to get everything mapped on my sticks.  Got most of the stuff for flying mapped, but as I have been zipping around the TA, I am discovering some of the old muscle memories from before are coming back and have had to re map some stuff like where my flaps are etc.

When you get everything mapped, be sure to create backups of the settings files.  I think there is one for each controller, and I *think* they start with "VRxxx".     Its a pain to have all your controller settings disappear - that's what happened to me using the 'pass-thru' view in the Quest.  I happened to be in the controller mappings screen when I double-tapped to look at something in the room, and when I went back to the game, every setting was wiped out.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 09:28:17 AM »
Yes! Do this! You don't want to find this out as you hit the runway starting an FSO frame! Ask me how I know.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 10:30:11 AM »
I've noticed if my water bottle is in the incorrect place, its reflection can mess up the light sensors the vive pro uses

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »
I've noticed if my water bottle is in the incorrect place, its reflection can mess up the light sensors the vive pro uses

Eagler

Got it...  Water bottles screw with the headset...  I will make a point to sticking to scotch.  I'm sure that that will be safer.    :D

Offline PFactorDavid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »
Yes! Do this! You don't want to find this out as you hit the runway starting an FSO frame! Ask me how I know.

My first stick, think it was a Sidewinder, totally crapped out in the middle of an FSO once.  One of those FSOs where you fly to target for over an hour, never seeing a thing...  Then suddenly there are bad guys dropping on the bombers and BLAMMO, stick is toast...  Nooooooooooooo!

That's when I ponied up the cheddar $$$ for the Warthog
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:05:44 AM by PFactorDavid »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 11:17:11 AM »
When you get everything mapped, be sure to create backups of the settings files.  I think there is one for each controller, and I *think* they start with "VRxxx".     Its a pain to have all your controller settings disappear - that's what happened to me using the 'pass-thru' view in the Quest.  I happened to be in the controller mappings screen when I double-tapped to look at something in the room, and when I went back to the game, every setting was wiped out.

all the VR settings are "VR_xxxxxx.jsm"

Also be sure to setup all of your mapping and save often IN VR while in the plane. Some times tower setting go wonky. VR setting and non VR settings are save separately