Author Topic: Restoring a Cessna 401 A  (Read 693 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Restoring a Cessna 401 A
« on: March 05, 2022, 09:21:25 PM »
"FREE Abandoned Airplane... If I Can Start It!", I saw in the recommendations tab and decided to give it a watch.

Ended up watching till current.  I'm honestly rooting for the guy, and hope he'll get her restored to flying status. :aok

EDIT: For clarification, this is a "work in progress" by the guy.  She's not close to being fully restored yet.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:13:15 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Restoring a Cessna 401 A
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 10:00:46 PM »
Erg. A bit anti-climatic. But still interesting.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 10:01:58 PM »
Considering he could buy an airworthy version for under $70,000,

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=CESSNA&model=401A&listing_id=2399678&s-type=aircraft

I'd wager he can't get that mangy wreck to C. of A. status for less bucks.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 10:29:17 PM »
Erg. A bit anti-climatic. But still interesting.

Yeah, didn't mean to mislead.  I've modified the OP accordingly.  :aok

Considering he could buy an airworthy version for under $70,000,

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=CESSNA&model=401A&listing_id=2399678&s-type=aircraft

I'd wager he can't get that mangy wreck to C. of A. status for less bucks.

A lot of folks said roughly the same thing in the first few episodes.  It didn't take too long before he realized how extremely expensive would be to get her airworthy again.  He asked his community if they'd love to see her fly again, and based off the response he started a gofundme on Feb 10th that is still active currently.  It is now currently up to 191k.

Like I said, I'm rooting for the guy.  :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:31:27 PM by Volron »
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 10:54:19 PM »
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. I wish him the best of luck. . . . .

Those engines alone will run over 50k each for an overhaul. Not including the turbo's. Unfortunately the money where ever it comes from would be better spent elsewhere. The reality is that plane needs to be stripped down to parade rest, and went through with a fine tooth comb. There is no doubt tons of corrosion, and if it has sat there for the 10 -12+ years he initially said, then there are components in the gear, & props, that will have calendared out and need to be overhauled or more likely replaced.

That plane proves "Nothing in Aviation is Free". . . . .lol

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. I wish him the best of luck. . . . .

Those engines alone will run over 50k each for an overhaul. Not including the turbo's. Unfortunately the money where ever it comes from would be better spent elsewhere. The reality is that plane needs to be stripped down to parade rest, and went through with a fine tooth comb. There is no doubt tons of corrosion, and if it has sat there for the 10 -12+ years he initially said, then there are components in the gear, & props, that will have calendared out and need to be overhauled or more likely replaced.

That plane proves "Nothing in Aviation is Free". . . . .lol

OR, as my granddad taught me... if it flies, floats or f**ks..... rent it.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 12:56:11 AM »
OR, as my granddad taught me... if it flies, floats or f**ks..... rent it.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
HiTech