Author Topic: Guess we can’t  (Read 2948 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Guess we can’t
« on: March 15, 2022, 06:40:06 PM »
The replies to the last thread I started had nothing to do with what was intended to be discussed. 

I left names out so that the thread wouldn’t go the direction it did and get locked. There are ways to discuss things about Ukraine without it going that way, but I guess we can’t.

Sigh.   :(
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
Re: Guess we can’t
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
I think there's always a place for polite discourse, but my cousin, who retired from the navy as a rear admiral, always said there were three topics of discussion forbidden in the wardroom: religion, relationships, and politics.

I've found that to be a good rule for my own dinner table.

The problem with national and world events these days is that it is almost impossible to venture an opinion that isn't politically tainted, in one way or another.  It also seems to me that while there are certainly other forums for discussions such as those, they shouldn't be outlawed in the O Club, as long as the repartee is courteous and polite.

Just my thoughts.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 09:47:59 PM »
I agree. Lost a friend tho when it got heated. Super progressive vs. Me a conservative. Pulled the race card and it was like "poof" I'm out of here..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 02:18:08 AM »
Nothing to discuss about the Ukraine.

They played big shot with Russians backed by the EU regime.

Now France and Germany are pressuring the Ukraine to sue for peace….FACT

WWIII grow up.

Putin Russian man bad.

Read a book paper with writing on it.

Or watch CNN or the BBC ministries

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 02:25:52 AM »
here join this https://icecreamonmars.com/

you can argue with me without getting a thread locked  :x :x :x

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 09:17:34 AM »
Nothing to discuss about the Ukraine.
<SNIP>

Why stick that ‘the’ in there???
It just Ukraine

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:25:52 AM »
What about treasonous behavior in Ukraine?

Spit it out...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »
Why stick that ‘the’ in there???
It just Ukraine

The Ukraine is place you fool

The United States

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:39:23 PM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
The Ukraine is place you fool

The United States

Some proper nouns require the 'the determiner' and some don't.  The Ukraine, The United States, The Dem. Republic of the Congo, The Philippines.  Others don't.  Mexico, Russia, Australia, China, Canada, and so forth.  It's like when a star becomes a 'one name celebrity,'  like, Cher, who I can't stand.

Some cities are so enigmatic that you don't need to identify their state.  Same principle.  New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago.  That's why Charlotte has its panties in a wad, because everyone always says "Charlotte, North Carolina" and it wants to play with the big boys.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
Some proper nouns require the 'the determiner' and some don't.  The Ukraine, The United States, The Dem. Republic of the Congo, The Philippines.  Others don't.  Mexico, Russia, Australia, China, Canada, and so forth.  It's like when a star becomes a 'one name celebrity,'  like, Cher, who I can't stand.

Some cities are so enigmatic that you don't need to identify their state.  Same principle.  New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago.  That's why Charlotte has its panties in a wad, because everyone always says "Charlotte, North Carolina" and it wants to play with the big boys.

Imho... I think it depends ones education... I do not think many know where or what significance hieropolis is or was but I do and I do not fault those don't know
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
What about treasonous behavior in Ukraine?

Spit it out...

Eagler

just because you call it treason, it doesn't mean it is.  but sure you are entitled to your opinion. even if it won't stand up in a court if law.

I find it funny how some people throw around terms like treason, patriot, cancel culture, woke culture...

for example if you are against woke people, won't that make you part of the cancel culture that you are against?

semp

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »

Common mistake. Ukraine is not correctly referenced with "the".
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 08:17:14 PM »
just because you call it treason, it doesn't mean it is.  but sure you are entitled to your opinion. even if it won't stand up in a court if law.

He may be referring to the former Ukrainian President, Poroshenko, returning to Ukraine in January to face such charges (but I can’t speak for him).

However, I was not. Since the thread is headed that way again…what I was referring to was Mittens and Murkowski accusing Gabbard and Tucker of treason for things they said (1st Amendment) about Ukraine.

I find it funny how some people throw around terms like treason, patriot, cancel culture, woke culture...

for example if you are against woke people, won't that make you part of the cancel culture that you are against?

NO, a lot of us do not see it that way because the woke & cancel culture “movements” haven’t provided us with anything of substance. They haven’t created much, but they sure have taken/removed a tremendous amount of things away from us/our culture. Antifa is hypocritical when they tell us what we can’t read, can’t watch, can’t attend, can’t participate in, etc.

semp

Said my peace, and I’ll get out, just hope you got the gist of it!  (<—Grateful Dead, Touch of Grey reference…)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 09:13:10 PM »
"NO, a lot of us do not see it that way because the woke & cancel culture “movements” haven’t provided us with anything of substance. They haven’t created much, but they sure have taken/removed a tremendous amount of things away from us/our culture. Antifa is hypocritical when they tell us what we can’t read, can’t watch, can’t attend, can’t participate in"

sorry to tell you but you are part of the cancel culture, you may not see it that way but you are.

as for "removed a tremendous amount of things away from us/our culture", which culture you talking about?  the germans, the dutch, the british, the Italians, the native americans, the mexicans, the french, the chinese... and so on

we are part of a multicultural society, that's what made this country great, some mistakes were made, some really big mistakes, but our culture is based on the culture of other countries. and I am glad for that, that is what if we could only stop fighting each other we could be even greater than what we are now.

I bet you still believe that paul revere went around yelling the british are coming!, that is not true.  at the time they consider themselves british subjects, most likely he said the regulars are coming, or something like that, we'll never know what he yelled.

but on the subject of paul revere, it was a book printed during the civil war, they were several riders, including a woman. israel bissell was one of them and if I remember correctly he rode the most miles.  but at the time when somebody needed a hero was is more american as apple pie between paul revere or a jewish vacuum cleaner.  now that is a joke, in case you miss it.  heard that on a youtube that is no longer available.

so that cancel culture you so much despise you are not knee deep into it in fact you are drowning in it.  there's lots of us, in fact the majority that dont believe the left more than the right, we just trying to have a country where we can disagree without destroying it.  you are part of the minority on the left and right that we are concerned about.  and yes we are democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives.

we cannot afford to have 1/2 the country fight against the other 1/2. unless you trully believe like one member of congress that space lazers caused the fires in california.

semp

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2022, 01:29:19 AM »
How am I part of the cancel culture? I haven’t stopped reading, watching, listening to, going to, etc. the things that I’ve always loved. With the exception of one, I don’t watch the Redskins anymore because they are NOT the Redskins anymore. All the rest of the things I’m talking about have just become harder to find or do because they are deemed racist, etc.

You assume so much about me it’s nearly hilarious if I didn’t consider it dangerous in the grand scheme. Paul Revere screaming “the British are coming” lmao, where did you pull that from? One of my degrees is in History with my concentration in the “American Military Experience.”  That legend was dispelled probably in the first week of my 300 level Revolutionary War class. 

Are you actually saying the United States does not have a culture that is in its own right truly American? True many traditions and other things come from other cultures as this nation began with immigrants. However, it sounds like you haven’t spent much time outside of California in a long time. Does not sound like you’ve lived in the Midwest or South; ever even visited?