Author Topic: WIN 11 - AH won't open past splash screen ?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
Re: WIN 11 - AH won't open past splash screen ?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 10:32:26 AM »
Yep tried that - no success I'm afraid.

Just one question - I'm assuming DX12 is backwards to compatible to DX11 as WIN11 is DX12 and AHlll is DX 11 or 9? Or am I on a hiding to nothing here?

And one final question - Attributes AL   Does that mean anything?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:42:04 AM by TheFox »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 10:57:28 AM »
It could be important.  Is this from your shortcut properties?  Here's what my shortcut properties look like, you can see Attributes is set to "A" not "AL"

DX12 should be backwards compatible with DX11.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:59:38 AM by oboe »

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »
Thanks for all your help guys. As this continues to be a mystery I have just messaged HiTech to see if he can spot anything unusual.

In the meantime I will keep trundling on and see if my 75 year old brain can produce some original thinking .... !!

:aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 01:12:49 PM »
Hi Fox -

I played around with the attributes settings, and never found an "AL" - could it be "AI" - that just indicated something about indexing.  I tried running AH with this setting and it ran with no problem...

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
Yes it's very strange.  This morning I completely uninstalled AHlll and then checked the registry to remove all obvious traces of the program. Then I ran both Advanced System Care and CC Cleaner to clean out any odities. I then reinstalled AHlll and guess what, exactly the same again - splash screen and then nothing.

I checked the task manager to see if there was any element of it running in background, but no sign. I then checked that other hi-resource programmes ran OK, Cubase 12, Photoshop, Lightroom & Bridge, all running at the same time with no issues.

I messaged Hitech yesterday via WhatsApp and I know he has read it, but no response so far. I think I will give it a week to see if there is any chnge and if not, then I guess I will have to call it a day. Its a shame, it's been fun.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 10:58:45 AM »
When you initially install the game and launch it, does it start downloading the ~2gb-ish stdshape.res file? Or does nothing from the start?

Just trying to figure out how far you get.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 11:29:52 AM »
Out of curiosity, did you disable and uninstall the Nvidia HDMI sound?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
When you initially install the game and launch it, does it start downloading the ~2gb-ish stdshape.res file? Or does nothing from the start?

Just trying to figure out how far you get.

When I launch the program, the splash screen opens and stays on screen for about a second, then disappears. From that point there is n further action - nothing AH related showing in Task Manager.

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
Out of curiosity, did you disable and uninstall the Nvidia HDMI sound?

Yes, as you suggested, I disabled them first with no difference seen, then uninstalled the drivers and again no difference  :frown:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »
Hmm, that is certainly interesting.

I had to do this the other day, so basically you download the 300mb AH file from the website. It installs, asks you if you want to launch. You launch, then it immediately starts downloading the stdshape.res file. It takes a little while but downloads and launches the game from there I believe.  It sounds as if it isn't connecting to the download server to continue the download/install of stdshape.res, so it just crashes...

You mentioned you're in Italy, you're not on VPN from there right? Only VPN from Italy to UK on occasion? I know HT in the past has had parameters against VPNs but it shouldn't matter as long as you're not on it...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »
Is a firewall preventing that download?

Is your Anti virus off and your firewall open when you are trying this?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 12:35:46 PM »
There are some issues with Windows 11 and the TPM on custom built PC's.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 12:50:35 PM »
Speaking of Anti-Virus, which one do you have? Some of them seem to think AH may be a virus and silently quarantine it. It's an on-off thing based on heuristics so it's hard to tell which Anti-XXXX should be avoided. But just in case, check the quarantine of your Anti-Virus and even if AH hasn't been quarantined, put it into the "exclusions" list. Or rather, exclude the entire HiTech Creations folder from any virus checks. Like this: "C:\HiTech Creations\*.*" without the quotes.

Further, check for multiple Anti-Virus installations. Since yours is a brand name computer, there most likely has been some preinstalled A-V program. They sometimes leave partially active settings behind. This one is a nice tool as it tries to find all A-V programs in your computer: https://antivirus-removal-tool.com/. Not only does it find them, it also includes the special removal tool for every A-V. Some A-V programs may warn you about it, but it simply goes through the folders and the Registry for known locations of A-V program related files. The special tools are those provided by the A-V companies so they're even safer to use.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
Hi Guys.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I have just re-downloaded the AHlll file from Hitechs server so I will clean out all current traces of the program, check the AV programmes for any quarantined files, run the AV removal tool, check the TPMs, and then will shut off all Anti-virus programes before launching the AHlll file.

That lot may take some while and you might not hear back from me until tomorrow, but I will keep you updated on progress...

Thanks once again

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 02:00:13 PM »
If you have a firewall like ZoneAlarm you might want to disable it also while you try to install the game

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals