Author Topic: I hope we'll never have an EZ mode here  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
I hope we'll never have an EZ mode here
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2000, 03:45:00 AM »
Guess that bears the question... What exactly *is* EZ mode in WB?

---edit----
Had a closer look at the discussions. Here are a few snips:

"What it does provide is autotrim, continously, without thought and management, through 85% of the flight envelope. That's brilliant E management, for free."

"In EZ mode, with full power you can stand your plane on its nose at less than stall speed and continue to blast away for several seconds"

"It gives you the ability to pull stupid stunts near continously and with minimal E penalty as guns defense, with no requirement for staying co-ordinated."

.... and on. To clarify here - I aint takin' shots at WB, the sim, per say. It just strikes me as a real sketchy move by IEN.

[This message has been edited by Nash (edited 05-24-2000).]

funked

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2000, 04:16:00 AM »
Nash, WB Easymode does two things:

1.  Eliminates trim forces.  Basically the plane is constantly auto-trimming itself for you.  Kind of like what a modern fighter does.

2.  Limits angle of attack.  If you try to pull it beyond a certain angle of attack it won't respond.  Again, this is like what the F-16 flight control system does - the computer won't let you cause an accelerated stall or overstress the plane.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2000, 04:24:00 AM »
Ah... That's the clearest explanation of it I've read. Thanks Funked.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2000, 04:42:00 AM »
WOW Fly-by-wire Spitfires ... yea i can see why it was popular  

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2000, 06:25:00 AM »
I don't know if EZ mode changed since I left, but when I subscribed to WB one big bad effect of EZ mode was that it was automatically set to delay stick response.  I can only think that this was done to compensate for a newbie maniacally yanking on his stick, but it felt like you were flying something with the responsiveness of a B-17.
ingame: Raz

Offline Bombjack

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
Duckwing, actually the ubiquitous easy-mode plane was the 190.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2000, 03:53:00 PM »
Seems to me that Easy Mode isn't something new to Warbirds.... I wonder who was managing things back then.  Hmmmm... well, at least it'll never happen here.

PS - How many months of flying AH does it take before I too can be a self-righteous snob?  

------------------
SnakeEyes
o-o-o-
=4th Fighter Group=

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »
You See Snakeyes, before you too can become an AH snob   You actually have to open an account and fly in a post beta version.

Of course there is then the secret initiation, that involves 4 Sheep, an orange, 10 ft of barb wire, 1 can of crisco, 2.5 rolls of standard duct tape, a spatula, and a number two pencil.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2000, 04:55:00 PM »
Turn off EZmode Takeoff, I bet you will hear the same nonsense here.

Lizking

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2000, 05:01:00 PM »
PS - How many months of flying AH does it take before I too can be a self-righteous snob?

Good one SnakeEyes!  ;=)

danish

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »

Turn off EZmode Takeoff, I bet you will hear the same nonsense here

Ehehe, for newbies the problem is not taking off but landing in one piece and walk away after a real dogfight without driving an UFO (and fly-by-wire) FW190A-4 ... Anyway, we have red anything here ..  so feel free to post jokes  

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2000, 07:40:00 PM »
Heh, I don't have a prollem with guys takin' off in easy mode. This mode perty much ends once the wheels have left the ground. It's a bit different though when guys in EZ mode are now up and tryin' to shoot ya down... This I find rediculous.

And it's not about bein' a self-righteous snob SnakeEyes. I aint got an issue with guys going to a dedicated EZ mode arena to fight... But when both modes co-exist in the MA, it effectively wipes out any level playing field. It's not really a defensible position to take imho.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
Not trying to be a snob at all... but this is an ooooolllddd AGW/WB argument. When EZ mode was introduced into the MA, many objected. I remember being one that said EZ-mode made it easier to get kills- many chose to dismiss that point. I wonder now how many would say that? No doubt about it, EZ enables a steadier gun hand over a wider speed range, and that is decisive in BnZ attacks.

Please, never mix EZ and FR here...  

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2000, 10:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by SnakeEyes:

Hehe, must have been a sucky connect night to WB (again) so old snake eyes got out the fishin pole....

funked

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2000, 10:48:00 PM »
"PS - How many months of flying AH does it take before I too can be a self-righteous snob? "

Apparently, none - based on the AGW EZ Mode bashers.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-25-2000).]