Author Topic: Today is Vietnam Vets Day  (Read 600 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Today is Vietnam Vets Day
« on: March 29, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »
In October 1967 my friend Doug came by the gas station we were working at and told me he had enlisted in the army that day. I told him he was a dumb donut add several other adjectives. 10 days later we were both getting off the bus at Fort Lewis Washington after enlisting on the buddy system. When we got to the induction center the Sergeant told me my eyes, we're not good enough to go into armor so I asked what else was available there was infantry, clerks, cook and air defense missiles. So I chose air defense missiles. The luckiest day of my life.

I never saw my friend Doug again after basic training. Doug went airborne and then on to armor school where he trained on personnel carriers. He was in the 25th Division for Tet  68. We kept in touch and we were both station in Germany. I was near Baumholder and he was in Berlin I wanted to visit him but with  my security clearance it was very difficult to travel there. He was in an armor unit where they actually cleaned the tanks with toothbrushes and I'm sad to say after being in Vietnam he couldn't take the ******** and deserted. I spoke to his mother after I got out of the army and she had no idea where he was at. I never heard from him again
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:26:28 PM by 1Cane »
AkCaine

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Today is Vietnam Vets Day
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »
Father in law was a Seabee in Vietnam..

<S> to all who had to serve there

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 02:27:52 PM »
~SALUTE~ to all Veterans who had or was forced to serve over there!

Sorry to hear about your friend, AKCaine.... There are a lot of us who can relate or have similar experiences of losing close friends while serving....

<S>

TC / Johnny 

Psalm 144 KJV
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
 :salute to all Nam Vets
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 03:34:03 PM »
 :salute
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 04:18:58 PM »
 :salute To the Nam Vets and all Vets. I missed Nam by about 2 years.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 06:17:35 PM »
Got my draft notice August of 72, as I had already been talking to the Air Force recruiter I joined the Air Force. Figured if I had to go I might as well get some training out of  it for civilian life later. 6 Weeks of Basic, and then 9 months of Technical School at Sheppard AFB. Out of Tech school 14 of us graduated, 12 went state side, 2 of us got overseas assignments. I was to go to Hawaii and the other guy was going to Alaska.

As it turned out the Air Force allowed graduating students to swap assignments, subject to approval. The other guy was married with kids and did not want to take them to Alaska. For me I grew up in the tropics, Africa to be exact, so going to Hawaii didn't mean much to me , so we swapped. One of the best things that ever happened to me. Spent my entire enlistment plus an additional year at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage AK.. Met my wife there, got married, then When I got out, I walked right into a job with Alyeska Pipeline, on the Trans Alaska Pipeline project. Spent just over 20 years with them.

While I am classified as a Vietnam Veteran, I never went in country. Thank you Lord. Lost a good friend there though, Everett James Jr. he was a navy corp man, he was KIA. 3 Cousins went, 2 in the Army and 1 in the Air Force, They came home in one piece.

Too many didn't make it back, may they ALL REST in Peace. TO my Vietnam Brothers and Sister here in game, Thank you for your service and doing what many refused to do. To those that still fight the demons of Vietnam, may you find peace and comfort and the only way I know to do that is by the Grace of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savoir.

Prayers and Love for everyone. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 07:03:55 PM »
 :salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »
To my elder Brothers and Sisters in arms, welcome home.

I started college in 71. I had a scholarship and a grant for the first 4 semesters. I saw deferments starting to go away so I walked into the ROTC building on campus during freshman orientation and got signed up. Turned out the OIC there knew and had served with a couple my Uncles, and I had already had a letter of introduction on his desk. I had experienced "Murphy" and knew that my draft number in the lotery would be low. I was right. 2 months later I had number 14.

Grades since I was still working almost full time and going to school full time weren't the greatest so the money from ROTC was handy since there was no way I would qualify for another grant or scholarship. Graduated in Dec 75 and pretty disgusted with ROTC sillyness. I figured I'd serve my time then leave. I did leave .... in May 2000. I have to say the pension. small as it is, is still nice.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 05:33:57 PM »

All gave some, Some gave all