Author Topic: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?  (Read 4904 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Interests and hobbies! What are yours?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
I am currently into Turning Bowls  on a wood lathe....

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »
Collect Morgan silver dollars. Have every year MS64 or better. Collect WWII german helmets. Collect  junk silver, walkers and mercury dimes. And.....this game.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
Very Nice <S>

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2022, 11:49:38 PM »
In terms of time devoted, Aces High scenarios and TFT's are my main hobby.  I get everyone I can manage into those events -- my Dad, my nephews, neighbors, coworkers.  I want to get my daughters flying in them.

Other hobbies include:

-- Family stuff with daughters and wife.
-- Reading (history, especially WWII, persuasion and motivation, economics, science fiction and fantasy, among others).
-- Running role-playing campaigns (such as D&D).
-- Investing (part hobby, part profession).
-- Politics.  Political, business, and social networking.
-- Easy, recreational biking and rollerblading.  Maybe get back into ice hockey, which I played a lot of when younger.
-- Occasional forays into new things, like learning a new bit of IT, or building a play house for my daughters.
-- University of Michigan football and basketball during the seasons.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 12:21:58 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Really nice!
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2022, 02:01:24 AM »
Love seeing all the different hobbies ppl have.

My current hobbies :
-Aviation of course (I hold a CPL)
-Video games. I can't say there's a genre that I really hate though I tend to avoid AAA titles. Current go-tos other than AH is DCS, Dyson Sphere, Kerbal, Squad, Rimworld
-Snowboarding. I don't get out as much as I used to but still manage a couple mountain trips a year. Canadian Rockies are just 3 hrs away
-Travel. Not so much the past couple years for obvious reasons but we do one big international trip every second year with small ones mixed in.
-Photography. Mostly travel, nature, and aviation. I even have a website set up that I completely neglect.
-Cooking. Wife and I love to cook together.
-Building computers and coding. I've built my last 2 gaming rigs and have built a few for friends and family. Something really satisfying about the whole process. I've also built a few android apps for the wife.
-Writing. I'm not published or anything, I just do a bit when the mood hits. Mostly sci-fi.
-Studying history. Also alternate history. Really like thinking about how one decision made different could alter the world.
-D&D. Just built my first character and about to start my first campaign. I've always had friends that were in to it but it never really interested me until now.

Past hobbies :
-Drones. I still have my cheap Eachine fpv racing drone but I don't fly it much anymore
-Martial Arts. In my early teens I started in Taekwondo, then moved into Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, and Judo as I thought about jumping in to MMA in my early 20s. I quit when I started to seriously consider aviation as a career. It wasn't worth the risk of concussion or other injury that would most certainly have occurred. Because though I was an ok striker, my ground game was terrible. All in I spent about 10 years practising various Martial Arts.
-Sports. I used to be really active in different sports throughout my 20s (I'm 37 now) but injuries and life caught up to me. Snowboarding is about the only one that I've kept up.
-Brewing. My former roommate and I made a few home brews. When he moved in with his gf the equipment went with him.
-Blacksmithing. Dabbled in it a few years, my cousin and my dad both had small forges and I took a couple classes. I was not great at it but made a kitchen knife that turned out ok. It's way too heavy in the blade but it still makes short work of whole chickens.

Some of my photography :

Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »
I collect military surplus - firearms and camouflages mostly. I have a pretty extensive collection.

Aces High and other flight sims.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
Pyramids and Ancient Megalithic Structures.

I have visited many in South America, Central America, and almost every one in Mexico. I hope to visit the pyramids in Egypt someday and in Thailand.

The most difficult site to visit was Puma Punku and Tihuanaco in Bolivia. Both sites are within a kilometer of each other. The altitude is 12,500 feet and you need to be there for a couple weeks to get climatized to the lack of 0xygen in the air. It is difficult to breath if you walk up a slope no matter how shallow the climb.

A few years ago I was talking to my sons and their cousins standing next to El Castillo in Chichen Itza. The tour guide asked me to leave because I was discussing things he does
not agree with. I believe because the steps are so large that it is very likely in ancient times pre dating 600 A.D. there were probably some very tall Mayans. If you go to any city
today there are always people of all size statures and not just short people. That is true in any large city in Mexico including the state of Chiapas where people tend to be of shorter stature. The manager came to see me and apologized for the tour guide. I have read tons of books on the Mayans in English and Spanish. There are lots of hypothesis and theories
on how their civilizations evolved.

I like the show Ancient Aliens, but I do not believe their theories that aliens built everything. I think humans did.  In ancient times when a civilization reached an economic plateau the
intelligent were  allowed to prosper and build what ever the king instructed them to build. The megalithic structures create an image of prosperity and that attracts more people to move to their community. The economy flourishes and trade increases with other communities.

In Peru scientist have no clue how the building blocks were assembled in Sachsaywaman nor how the stones were vitrified. The blocks exceed hundreds of tons and there is no evidence
left behind on how they were lifted and put into place. The rock quarries are a considerable distance. How were the stones transported?

I could go on forever but I will stop here. I enjoy reading and visiting ancient sites. Our ancient ancestors were more advanced than we can imagine. The uncovering around all ancient sites might reveal in the future how they were able to build such wonders. I can't wait.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »
Pyramids and Ancient Megalithic Structures.

I have visited many in South America, Central America, and almost every one in Mexico. I hope to visit the pyramids in Egypt someday and in Thailand.

The most difficult site to visit was Puma Punku and Tihuanaco in Bolivia. Both sites are within a kilometer of each other. The altitude is 12,500 feet and you need to be there for a couple weeks to get climatized to the lack of 0xygen in the air. It is difficult to breath if you walk up a slope no matter how shallow the climb.

A few years ago I was talking to my sons and their cousins standing next to El Castillo in Chichen Itza. The tour guide asked me to leave because I was discussing things he does
not agree with. I believe because the steps are so large that it is very likely in ancient times pre dating 600 A.D. there were probably some very tall Mayans. If you go to any city
today there are always people of all size statures and not just short people. That is true in any large city in Mexico including the state of Chiapas where people tend to be of shorter stature. The manager came to see me and apologized for the tour guide. I have read tons of books on the Mayans in English and Spanish. There are lots of hypothesis and theories
on how their civilizations evolved.

I like the show Ancient Aliens, but I do not believe their theories that aliens built everything. I think humans did.  In ancient times when a civilization reached an economic plateau the
intelligent were  allowed to prosper and build what ever the king instructed them to build. The megalithic structures create an image of prosperity and that attracts more people to move to their community. The economy flourishes and trade increases with other communities.

In Peru scientist have no clue how the building blocks were assembled in Sachsaywaman nor how the stones were vitrified. The blocks exceed hundreds of tons and there is no evidence
left behind on how they were lifted and put into place. The rock quarries are a considerable distance. How were the stones transported?

I could go on forever but I will stop here. I enjoy reading and visiting ancient sites. Our ancient ancestors were more advanced than we can imagine. The uncovering around all ancient sites might reveal in the future how they were able to build such wonders. I can't wait.

:salute

I too have always had a huge interest in how these were built so long ago. This among all my other interests.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2022, 11:23:04 AM »

Awesome

Can you turn me a pair of clogs ?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2022, 11:24:09 AM »
Aside from work and being a part-time dad (divorced), reenacting and hiking/climbing.

Why are you dressed as Adam Ant with a musket?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »
Aside from work and being a part-time dad (divorced), reenacting and hiking/climbing.

Rather impressive. Had a squad mate back in my active duty days that was into CW re-enactments (both sides). Wasn't a cheap hobby, for sure.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »
Indoor gardening. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »
Rather impressive. Had a squad mate back in my active duty days that was into CW re-enactments (both sides). Wasn't a cheap hobby, for sure.

I work at a site that does everything from French and Indian War to WWII- we were continually occupied by one army or another from 1755 to 1943. So I get to do it all but my main impression is the First Sergeant for our 1868-69 garrison.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.