Author Topic: The Power of BIG Oil  (Read 5430 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: The Power of BIG Oil
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 07:41:28 PM »
PP and Sangar tried real hard to slow demand, but only really kept demand low in one segment of our population.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 07:49:08 PM »
PP and Sangar tried real hard to slow demand, but only really kept demand low in one segment of our population.

Wow. Another weird (and wrong) 90' turn to the conversation.

Warning - NPR!

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/08/14/432080520/fact-check-was-planned-parenthood-started-to-control-the-black-population

:)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 07:49:54 PM »
Lets go after our energy production. Maybe after we kill off oil we can go after food production too.

:x

Aren't we there?  The latest conspiracy theory concerns burned down food processing plants and warehouses along with Bill Gates buying up the farmland. 

One of the first things our professor taught in polysci, back in 1978, was that, no matter the circumstance, you can spin it either to your advantage or to your opponent's disadvantage, but those are really both the same.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 07:52:20 PM »
One of the first things our professor taught in polysci, back in 1978, was that, no matter the circumstance, you can spin it either to your advantage or to your opponent's disadvantage, but those are really both the same.

Poli Sci still taught that in 2018. :)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 08:28:16 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 08:31:53 PM »
:rofl

NPR source. You’re cute 😊

Non-politicized radio. :)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 08:36:01 PM »

Re-read.

Your link implies that what I posted is something I did not state.

I can underline and highlight for you if necessary. 

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 08:39:48 PM »
Re-read.

Your link implies that what I posted is something I did not state.

I can underline and highlight for you if necessary.

Please do. And annotate. :)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 09:24:00 PM »
I'm grateful for big oil. I think we need to produce more.
Do you know how many products are made because of petroleum?
We need oil for our energy. Oil and gas. The more the better.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 09:30:10 PM »
I'm grateful for big oil. I think we need to produce more.
Do you know how many products are made because of petroleum?
We need oil for our energy. Oil and gas. The more the better.

Big oil is the largest tax subsidized industry in the U.S. There is no shortage. It is also the largest contributor to climate change. That industry's own studies on such reflects that fact (though it was kept hushed). Alternate sources of energy for both power and transport is not a bad thing. The oil industry is attempting to branch out in that direction (anyone wonder why?). Petroleum will not die out as result of a reduction and switch to alternatives. 

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
I don't care if oil is tax subsidized. We need oil. I'm glad that oil has always been relatively cheap. We need to find more oil and produce more oil.

Alternative sources of energy are all fine and dandy but there's a reason why they are not the main source of energy. It's because they are not ready. They are not efficient and they're more expensive.

I mean it's really just common sense. If alternative energies could compete in the marketplace and produce energy as inexpensively as oil and natural gas then the market would already be going in that direction. By artificially trying to force that upon us, we are screwing ourselves.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:56 PM »
I'll also add that a warming climate is not even a bad thing. What would be worse would be a cooling climate. We're very lucky to have a climate we have.

More people are alive and being fed today because of the warming climate. Just the opposite would happen if the climate cooled.

I defy anyone to prove that a global warming is even a bad thing. It's more of a good thing than a bad thing by far.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 04:45:49 AM »
I'll also add that a warming climate is not even a bad thing. What would be worse would be a cooling climate. We're very lucky to have a climate we have.

More people are alive and being fed today because of the warming climate. Just the opposite would happen if the climate cooled.

I defy anyone to prove that a global warming is even a bad thing. It's more of a good thing than a bad thing by far.

One thing that surprised me was how low the levels of co2 are relative to long term historical amounts and how that affects plant growth.  People are concerned that co2 levels have risen to around 400 ppm from 200 ppm but 200 ppm is near the very bottom of historical levels and near the minimums for plant growth.  As co2 levels get closer to 1000 ppm which is near the ideal levels for plant growth then the articles I was reading were predicting near 100% more plant growth as they approach maximum efficiency.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2022, 05:11:39 AM »
One thing that surprised me was how low the levels of co2 are relative to long term historical amounts and how that affects plant growth.  People are concerned that co2 levels have risen to around 400 ppm from 200 ppm but 200 ppm is near the very bottom of historical levels and near the minimums for plant growth.  As co2 levels get closer to 1000 ppm which is near the ideal levels for plant growth then the articles I was reading were predicting near 100% more plant growth as they approach maximum efficiency.

The goal is not to feed the people. If people have food, there are those that will not have power. Even here in the US there are groups that depend on slaves to this day. If no one needs handouts, those griups lose their power.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2022, 05:41:06 AM »

Certainly the earth has been warming for the last 25K years, and it had not been, most of us wouldn't be here and we certainly wouldn't be exchanging views on a forum such as this.  Our cave paintings would probably be really high tech, but I'll take the tradeoff.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.