Author Topic: Hard drive dilemma  (Read 588 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Hard drive dilemma
« on: April 28, 2022, 08:25:35 AM »
I struggled getting AH3 installed on my pc because it kept telling me there was insufficient memory. After a great deal of messing around I did finally manage. The problem is now it says my C drive has very little space left. I found out how to get in to change the partitions only to find that I had no open space on either side of the C section. There are some other programs I would like to have and almost all of A drive is available.

Is there a way to install more programs onto this pc without having to upgrade the hard drive?

Edit: If memory serves me correctly, it has windows 11
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hard drive dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
Add another drive and install the programs there. Or, did you say you already have an empty disk there? Almost every program has the ability to modify the address where it will be installed. You can also address your downloads, photos and other space consuming folders to that storage drive.

That will mean that you'd have Windows on your C:\ drive and maybe some programs/games you want to load fast - unless you get an SSD for storage - and most of your games and other stuff on D:\ or E:\ or whichever letter you have available.

No matter which drive you install your software on, there'll usually be some instructive files on C, most likely in a hidden folder so you won't mess with them. But they're not too big to worry about. For best performance it has been good practice to have the C:\ (System) drive only half filled for temporary data. Current drives can be so large that having half of that unused most likely is overkill. But some 30GB of free space there won't hurt and more is more.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 08:51:27 AM »
I'd try running Disk Cleanup to see if there's any excess stuff that can be deleted, especially if it is a Windows 10 -> Windows 11 upgrade, there is likely many GBs of install files that can be removed. Like Bizman said, easiest thing is to pop another drive in there.

You mentioned A drive - are you saying there is a drive in This PC that shows up as A with space available?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »
Sorry for the confusion.

The “A drive” is actually a partitioned section of the hard drive. So it is actually on the same drive as C: 

I did not realize I could change where the programs are installed to though. So I could reinstall AHIII to A: or to my usb external drive then??
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »
Yep. When the installer pops up, just hit Browse and direct it to A. For those I typically just create a "Games" folder in the root directory and plop all my stuff there.

Doing it from a USB external is possible but I wouldn't recommend it due to SATA speeds being much faster than USB. I feel like you would encounter issues.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
Awesome. Thanks. That should make things much better then.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 10:13:23 AM »
If A drive is just  windows, I'd leave it that way. You would be better off adding a second drive to the machine and moving space hungry items like pictures and videos to that drive. You will then have space on C drive. You will also be able to install programs to the second drive as Biz mentioned.

I have 6 drives on my main machine.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 11:14:28 AM »
Sorry for the confusion.

The “A drive” is actually a partitioned section of the hard drive. So it is actually on the same drive as C: 

I did not realize I could change where the programs are installed to though. So I could reinstall AHIII to A: or to my usb external drive then??
I wouldn't install programs on a USB drive. Although USB 3 is pretty fast it's not as fast as the inside options. Not to mention that if USB can hiccup with controllers, how much worse those issues would be for a drive.

The "A" partition could be merged to C:\ using certain programs but that would wipe everything off from it. Easier to keep the partitioning as is.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni