Author Topic: 109G14 vs. LA7: G14 (with gondies!) flies awesome, nearly kills me 3 times  (Read 1140 times)

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
Genuinely fine 109 flying here by my opponent, at least by my lights. I barely manage to dodge several kill shots before I'm able to convert my initial E advantage to a position advantage. I reckon Vinkman would have counted me dead twice.
I got some concerned commentary from the 109 pilot afterward about the way my LA7 flew. I didn't understand, so I'm posting film here for critical review. Maybe one of you folks can help me understand if something's unusual here.
If you're bored enough to watch, please let me know if you see anything buggy or strange about either plane's performance.
Thanks and cheers!
trog
"It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob out there."
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
Looks fine.

Maybe flap work made you look unnatural?

I think sometime it skips a frame or something and planes look like they twist or flip in physic defying ways.

Let's get some 1v1 time and I'll check it out.   :evil:

This would also be a good reason for aces high to implement TACVIEW. I heard that it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
God, yes. TACVIEW, please
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: 109G14 vs. LA7: G14 (with gondies!) flies awesome, nearly kills me 3 times
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:31:52 AM »
I find it amusing there's only a fight at all because an escape route is available. What an upstanding display of cartoon masculinity  :rofl

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »
109's are very versatile

Got a brew with a 109k4 after a rare 1v1 in MA this week fun fight

Add gonds and stay fast - face shooting anyone foolish enough to HO - is the way I fly the g2 in MA

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
109's are very versatile

And mysterious since as a DCS friend pointed out to me the late-model AH 109s fly with their magnetos off  :head scratch:

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 04:34:28 PM »
Seemed ok to me with just one little skip/pause from the 109 near the end right before the 109 dove out to ack. lol.

Nice HOvoidance and that's where the 109 eventually lost, going for the front qtr repeatedly and expecting, but not gettng,  results (were you aware who it was and did you adjust any?) and allowing your la7 to gain those pursuit angles where it forced that dive out.

I used to love 109's with gondies (cried when they took them away from 109F4's)  - they can do surprisingly well, still.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 05:17:08 AM »
I didn't understand, so I'm posting film here for critical review.

Captain Vulva, the reigning world champion picklord presented in your film here has an advantageously inconsistent connection, let's say, which usually works in his favour granting him super easy front-quarter shots that do not present on his opponent's end. Probably it was minimised in this fight because the merges had more aspect and less summed closure. Every now and again he observes artefacts of his laggy connection which when they don't favour him obviously become a cause for everyone's concern, is the simple explanation.

Regarding gondolas I did some quick and dirty flight testing.

In the case of the G14 selecting the 150-round hub 20-mm (about the same ammo for all cannon), and the two gondolas gives you 7662lbs, that's a penalty of 409lbs over the basic single 30-mm or a 5.6% weight penalty on the total airframe, wet on 100% internal fuel. There is a top speed penalty of 9-m.p.h. (2.5% slower). I could feel no discernible penalty in roll rate about 5 seconds at all practical speeds with or without gondolas. Presumably the additional mass at extremity is not modelled.

Conversely it does give you a total of 430 cannon rounds amounting to about 12.5 seconds continuous firing time of cannon in a buckshot-like HE dispersal which essentially fills your ring, pardon the pun. In addition to the cowl guns it equates to something like a quad 20-mm but dispersed over 5-axes.

Personally I consider the 30-mm MK108 to be single shot or usually three round burst only for about 20 shots in practical terms. A more elegant weapon for a more civilised age.
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
Just to add to Shida's;

109's connection is garbage, was when I flew against him to.
Though it was much more noticeable when he is a 190 on defence.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline trogdor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 06:45:19 PM »
Thanks for your insightful responses.
I understand and largely agree with the points you've all made.
I've seen the 109 pilot in this film shoot as much as 15 degrees ahead of where his plane is apparently pointed time after time. Others have mentioned the same. I've also seen his dora micro-warp when defensive, as dolby describes. I assume it's connection lag.
But the 109 pilot was sure after this fight that I was adding some illicit special sauce to the mix and made some rather silly accusations. so, i told him i'd post it for review.
Thanks for the testing, nrshida!

cheers,
trog
- Patches O'Houlihan

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
Well-flown, trog!

Nothing looked off to me.

:salute