Author Topic: Heads up Regarding Hotas Settings being wiped out!  (Read 2242 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Heads up Regarding Hotas Settings being wiped out!
« on: May 13, 2022, 03:43:17 PM »
I had an issue with my CH hotas setup last weekend to where when I logged into the game and went to take-off nothing worked...so I go and look at controllers key mapping and everything was wiped out clean as if it was my first time...

I  went and copied my jsm backup files into settings and go back into the game (relogged), and it erased /wiped out the settings again..so I  repeat this process 3 more times using jsm files from 3 other HTC games..same thing ...after 2 hours I had started to get really po'ed...so hung it up  until today...

After several calls to Dale, and troubleshooting...Dale noticed that the game was seeing 3 less inputs on both my CH fighter stick and throttle...so manually editing both jsm files to what the default mode was showing fixed the problem.....and if I recall correctly it is/ was due to a possible windows update....

Never experienced anything like this since I started playing AH in October 99.....but am glad it's fixed

Hope this is helpful

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Heads up Regarding Hotas Settings being wiped out!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 07:26:52 PM »
I often loose controller settings in VR when I go to recalibrate. Not every time but often enough. Like you, I keep extra copies of my settings and even set them as read only. That doesn't seem to help with calibrations though.

It means that I need to get in the arena at least half an hour before any event to sort it, else I don't bother to go in.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 07:35:01 AM »
Jesus this exact problem has had me pulling my hair out! I bought a small drive and moved a fresh install of AH to that and it kept doing it to me too! It was wiping them out WHILE I was putting them back! What did you have to do exactly to fix this? I wonder if it has something to do with my other controls glitch which this seemed to graduate from.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
To expand on my problem. I've been noticing a controllers glitch for probably a year now. Every time I think I have it nailed down it happens again. What happens is everything kinda jerks for a split second. In VR, my view jerks to one side and my controllers will get crazy. My throttle and rpm will go to like half. Sometimes it's just flying straight and level or conveniently in the middle of a fight! I just move them back and this might happen again right away or in five minutes or an hour. So hard to duplicate and knock down. Driving me nuts! (admittedly a short drive)

When I tried setting up a clean install I couldn't get thru setup for 2d before it would glitch out. Hadn't got to VR yet as I had had enough by then. It seemed to me it was this same jerk thing happening. I'd see a micro freeze on the screen and all my stick settings were gone. Literally as I was setting them up! Looking right at it.

Willing to try anything. TC, what did you rename exactly? Did it work?

I already tried the mark read only and backup zip tricks. Read only didn't work at all and the zip thing only partially cured a symptom of the disease. Doesn't cover the axii. VKB MCG-PRO grip has several just on the grip.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »
Jesus this exact problem has had me pulling my hair out! I bought a small drive and moved a fresh install of AH to that and it kept doing it to me too! It was wiping them out WHILE I was putting them back! What did you have to do exactly to fix this? I wonder if it has something to do with my other controls glitch which this seemed to graduate from.

Hey brother,  I didn't rename anything...just a couple small edits to my backup jsm files

Dale had me to go  and log into the game and go to/ options/ key mapping controls

Make sure the game is noticing all your controllers then hit the Default mode button for each controller, then back  completely out of the game and open the newly created jsm files in note pad and then open for instance...

Start with your particular joystick.jsm file open the newly created one in note pad and also open your backup file for your stick.....

Look at the very top line for any changes between the newly created jsm file verses your backup copy

My backup copy for both my fighterstick and throttle were showing 3,36 (3 Axis,  36 input) that 36 was causing the game to completely reset everything....both newly created jsm files were showing 3,33...once we found the differences,  Dale had me to change my 36 to 33 and then save my backup copies then copy them back into the settings folder..
Then logged back on and everything basically was back to normal except I had to go reprogram 3 buttons on my pro throttle only..
Guess I was not using those other 3 that were removed on my figbterstick...

Hope this helps

TC / Johnny
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:03:56 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 02:04:24 PM »
Thanks I'll give it a shot. My setup has a ton of stuff on it these days. The VKB stick has 7 axis by itself. Rudder with toe brakes, another 3. The CH throttle, another 3. A pair of Logitech quadrants with another 3 each (don't use all that for AH, they're mostly for IL2 but they're still plugged in).

I'm away til Monday. It'll be on my list when I get back. Hope it works as it's been annoying the crap out of me! I'd at least narrowed it down to something to do with AH as I couldn't get it to happen anywhere else.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:17:44 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »
Drano,  I am willing to bet that it's going to boil down to the CH Pro Throttle and possibly which ever windows update  caused the issue/ change could possibly affected some of your newer devices as well...but at least you know what to look for now....

Holler at me Monday if you need to....

Cheers 🍻

TC

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 04:31:24 PM »
Thanks TC.
Especially for detailing the 3 axis 33 buttons bit. I'd noticed those had to match htc defaults but I didn't know what they meant. I think at least one of my default copies got porked over the course of trying to figure this out. At least now I know to check my copies against a clean AH install.

Hopefully I'll have things working in time for MNM and Tank Night. Will keep you posted.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 08:28:11 AM »
So I messed with this last night. As you said TC, I found a mismatch between the .jsm files in the stickdef folder and settings folder but only with the CH throttle. The others matched. Howeveer, my CH files were quite a bit different and didn't make sense to me anyway. The stickdef jsm file had it as a 3 axis, 36 button. The settings jsm had it as a 3 axis, 10. So no match there. I couldn't get where the 36 button in the stickdef file came from. From the CH website it says "Three axis and 24 buttons". So I'm thinking both of those jsm files should be 3 and 24?

I did go the route you suggested last night and was able to get my settings back and they seemed to stick. But that was with a matching 3, 36. The bad news is it didn't seem to cure the micro pause glitch. I still had that happen. Don't know if it's just something going on with my PC or what but I can't duplicate it anywhere else. Any testing suite, any other game. It only happens in AH. Like too many things calling at once or something.

Here's a short vid of it happening to me last frame I flew (or tried to) in FSO. Talk about annoying!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1487397836
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »
Hey Drano,  something in my mind is thinking that CH Products saying that the pro throttle is 3 Axis, 24 button is from way back game port model....but then again my memory is not that dependable at times....both jsm files for my USB CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle show 3 Axis, 36 button and have all the way back to beginning of AH3 so that one I don't know what to think...not sure about the 3 Axis, 10 button jsm file, that makes me think/ wonder if the throttle buttons or what not,  might be going out???

I just only understand how Dale helped me go through and troubleshoot the issue and found it and fixed it for myself..I  just posted it here because I figured some others could use the information..

I watched the video and noticed what I thought was a pause/ micro freeze...but I have no idea what might be causing it.....would need a bit more information of what your complete setup is and Windows version, etc...

TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »
That's what is says on the CH site for the USB model. I was trying to count up the available buttons and couldn't figure out how they got to 36 in AH. You have the 3 modes but that's in software.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »
Did you think about AH3 offers 4 modes....that is what I should have included in my previous post

That is the only way I was assuming the extra 12 button inputs for both CH Products controllers...

Hope this helps

TC

Going back to the swimming pool 🏊‍♀️

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »
I'm not a mathematical genius but I can't make that work in my head. There's 3 modes on the throttle itself! 4 modes in the game. But there's still a finite amount of hardware. There's still only 24 buttons. 3x4way hats =12,+1x8way hat=20, +3 grip buttons +1center press on the mini stick=24 buttons.

Get me to the other 12. I'm missing it. I think it should actually be 24 total with 3 axii, throttle and 2 for the mini stick.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 12:09:56 PM »
Taking another swing at this just now. I went in and tried editing the jsm files for the CH throttle in both the stickdef and settings folders to 3 axis and 24 buttons--as I think it should really be. Then went into the game in 2D mode, calibrated the throttle and assigned it throttle 1. Exited the game. Checked the jsm file in the settings folder---it had changed back to a 3 axis, 10 button. Now, I don't know how this is happening nor can I make sense at how it arrives at the 10 buttons when I know there are 24. I have each of the buttons programmed with keystrokes so no DX inputs coming through. Will try it with a blank profile that's all DX buttons and see if that makes a diff.

It's like the Kardasian telling Picard there are 5 lights!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
All righty. With a plain jane blank DX profile loaded on the throttle I now see where the 33 comes from. It sees the axii for the throttle and the mini stick, so there's three. in AH you can program a command at the min, mid and max points along their travel. So those three axii can be used as 9 buttons if you set it up that way. Add the rest of the physical buttons and you come up with 33 and that checks out on the jsm file. I noticed that the jsm file sees the 8-way hat as a view switch and not as actual buttons. But they are included in the 33 functions you can map to the throttle.

so...I'm putting the jsm's back to 3, 33. Will copy over my commands that didn't get erased and will try marking them read only and see if that gets it. Loading my AH profile (with all keystrokes) changes the jsm to 3,10. Blank puts it back to 3,33. So that much is repeatable.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"