Author Topic: The Great Unwinding  (Read 14362 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: The Great Unwinding
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2022, 06:49:01 PM »
Here in the US you have a choice of who you work for. You actually have a choice.

My post was about burger flipping jobs. They are for high schoolers to make extra money. Too much mooching off everyone else makes some think they deserve some kind of support. They made their own bed and should have to sleep in it. The government has no money. It operates off our money, the people who contribute in this country.

Too many are on handouts that just sit on their porch. Too many on handouts are having kids. We are even giving phones to deadbeats. 
It has just turned into another form of slavery. They will not go find a job because they are ok with what they are given. That needs to stop.
This isn't 100 years ago when one got paid for pushing a broom. Today a machine has replaced those broom pushers.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2022, 06:20:36 AM »
Not today

Eagler
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 07:33:01 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2022, 02:29:21 PM »
This isn't 100 years ago when one got paid for pushing a broom. Today a machine has replaced those broom pushers.

Odd.... when someone is caught up or not busy, they push a broom here. We do not pay employees to sit around in the shop.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2022, 03:45:39 PM »
I wonder how those folks who wanted 15 an hour to flip burgers are doing. I know some lost their jobs as they did not need as many people if they were paying 15. Those that still have jobs are now paying 5 bucks a gallon for gas. Wonder how happy they are now?

they didn't lose their jobs, well at least around here. they quit and got jobs somewhere else for more money. around here burger joints offering 17 to 20 bucks and can't find enough employees. even department stores have assistant managers that are not even 18 and pay sure as hell is not 15 an hour. the myth that nobody wants to work still around. employees now want benefits and paid vacations and not just get a job to survive.

I guess we are the exception.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »
they didn't lose their jobs, well at least around here. they quit and got jobs somewhere else for more money. around here burger joints offering 17 to 20 bucks and can't find enough employees. even department stores have assistant managers that are not even 18 and pay sure as hell is not 15 an hour. the myth that nobody wants to work still around. employees now want benefits and paid vacations and not just get a job to survive.

I guess we are the exception.

semp

That is because they can get free handouts. Stop that and get the deadbeats working or let them starve.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »
Stop that and get the deadbeats working or let them starve.

Or both. That would be really cool. Work like hell .... here's a bone. Yeeehaw.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »
Full employment is needed for a healthy economy..

Way too many have figured out the system and abuse it which takes resources from those truly disabled and needing real assistance

I don't see it getting anything but worse .. just look around

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
Full employment sounds great. As long as the working class is paid a living wage. Has there been either in your lifetime (or your father's - or his, etc.)?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2022, 08:49:21 PM »
The issue is that "Service" jobs are normally small shops that cannot afford to pay a large wage. $15 an hour may be a lot for a really small shop. It all depends on how much cash the business is bringing in to pay those wages. Forcing "all" businesses to pay a certain way always benefits the bigger company over the smaller shops because the small business cannot afford to hire. If we encouraged an economy to become manufactures and builders as it's main industry, our society would be incredibly wealthy with far better careers that can afford health benefits and 401ks. Smaller businesses should hire teens and almost retired people. If 25-50 year olds are working in these positions than perhaps they should re-evalute their life rather than blaming it on their employer. Not only that, but I'm sure many of these people are living pretty well compared to the rest of the world. It's pretty easy to take what we have for granted here. The key is to always work toward success and you will find it someway. Probably not how you imagined though. There are a lot of pretty decent paying jobs out there right now you just have to have the mindset of wanting to better yourself. There has never been a greater opportunity to make it wealthy than now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:51:14 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2022, 10:49:31 PM »
That is because they can get free handouts. Stop that and get the deadbeats working or let them starve.

what makes you think people that move to other jobs to make more money are getting handouts.  nobody wants to work at a burger joint because it's only 30 hours a week so they dont pay you benefits, compare that to a warehouse that pays more get overtime and you now get insurance and vacation.  how is that a handout?

had a friend that wanted somebody to work for him checking trucks in and out.  he was paying 850 a week.  sounds like a reasonable job.  except he wanted them working 12 hour shifts six days a week.  that's like 350 bucks below minimum wage.  told him good luck in finding somebody.  he  forced a couple of guys to work that shift and they quit.  they were making more money working 8 hours a day 5 days a week.  the extra 350 bucks is not gonna make him broke.  but now he does that job himself.  he's dumb and greedy.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2022, 10:56:12 PM »
The issue is that "Service" jobs are normally small shops that cannot afford to pay a large wage. $15 an hour may be a lot for a really small shop. It all depends on how much cash the business is bringing in to pay those wages. Forcing "all" businesses to pay a certain way always benefits the bigger company over the smaller shops because the small business cannot afford to hire. If we encouraged an economy to become manufactures and builders as it's main industry, our society would be incredibly wealthy with far better careers that can afford health benefits and 401ks. Smaller businesses should hire teens and almost retired people. If 25-50 year olds are working in these positions than perhaps they should re-evalute their life rather than blaming it on their employer. Not only that, but I'm sure many of these people are living pretty well compared to the rest of the world. It's pretty easy to take what we have for granted here. The key is to always work toward success and you will find it someway. Probably not how you imagined though. There are a lot of pretty decent paying jobs out there right now you just have to have the mindset of wanting to better yourself. There has never been a greater opportunity to make it wealthy than now.

why dont you help some of those small shops by getting a job there.  oh that's right, you wont.  even though it will help the economy.

once I took a big paycut 15 years ago.  was making 40% of what I was making before, but I knew if I got hired instead of being a temp I would make a lot more money than my old job.  it worked, up until I got hurt and couldnt work anymore, but that's a different story.  only reason I took that job is my wife was making enough money for us to live on.  not anybody has that opportunity to go to his wife and tell her, we wont have enough to eat for the next 5 months.

semp

edit: and by the way the job I left was a company with about 20 employees we made at least 50k a year.  and I doubled my income in less than a year in the new company.  then again my wife made enough money for us to live on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:59:10 PM by guncrasher »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2022, 01:11:10 AM »
Has Putin started WWIII yet?

The Ukrainian narrative finished with you lot?

You people  :rofl

Has monkey pox hysteria finished yet?

What hysteria will there be in July :)

The economy, Lockheed Martin are having a bumper years :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2022, 01:20:34 AM »
Here are US wages over time, adjusted by official inflation:

However --

Official inflation understates real inflation.  The government is incentivized to report low official inflation because various government payments are tied to inflation.  So they have methods (hedonics, for example) to facilitate understatement.

Here is inflation using the 1980's measurement method (from shadowstats.com):

If you adjust the wage chart by real inflation, you see real (inflation-adjusted) wages substantially decreasing over time.  They are not flat.

We all know this (if we are old enough) because we remember what a single-earner middle-class household was like in the 1960's:  single earner, stay-at-home mom, a few kids, a dog, a house, a car or two, some savings for retirement, and a decent middle-class lifestyle for the family.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2022, 06:59:56 AM »
We all know this (if we are old enough) because we remember what a single-earner middle-class household was like in the 1960's:  single earner, stay-at-home mom, a few kids, a dog, a house, a car or two, some savings for retirement, and a decent middle-class lifestyle for the family.

:devil