Author Topic: Wut?  (Read 4519 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wut?
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2022, 12:32:43 PM »
Seems what they did was bypass the legislative process to get the bee on the endangered species list in CA. Sounds fine, but in CA almost always have to look at the motive behind the government doing anything and also look where $ is going to/coming from/being diverted from…

Bumblebees before fishies!  :banana:

Without bees we'd be proper effed. Wasps, they can do one. Don't even make jam.  :old:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2022, 01:47:50 PM »
It all started in a 2019 lawsuit between large agricultural groups in the state — such as almond and citrus growers — and the California Fish and Game Commission.

The lawsuit specifically set out to determine whether the commission exceeded its authority when it designated four bumble bee species as endangered species – the Crotch bumble bee, the Franklin bumble bee, the Suckley cuckoo bumble bee and the Western bumble bee – calling them invertebrates, therefore falling under CESA’s definition of fish.

In years past, fish were defined as “wild fish, mollusks or crustaceans, including any part, spawn or ova thereof.” But in 2015, the legislature modified the definition to read “ ‘[f]ish’ means a wild fish, mollusk, crustacean, invertebrate, amphibian or part, spawn, or ovum of any of those animals.”

In the ruling, the courts gave the commission the legal authority to list invertebrate species as endangered, even if they are not aquatic animals.

“We next consider whether the commission’s authority is limited to listing only aquatic invertebrates,” the ruling stated. “We conclude the answer is, “no.” Although the term fish is colloquially and commonly understood to refer to aquatic species, the term of art employed by the Legislature in the definition of fish in section 45 is not so limited.”

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
Read 5 different articles on when this dispute began, and you’ll find 5 different opinions and even to the point of which organizations it began with:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/who-knew-bees-are-fish-2022-06-02/

‘The dispute began in 2018, when the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, the Center for Food Safety, and Defenders of Wildlife successfully petitioned the state of California to consider protecting four species of imperiled native bumble bees (including the delightfully named Suckley's cuckoo bumble bee) under the state’s Endangered Species Act.’

‘One wrinkle though: California’s endangered species law defines candidates for protection as “bird, mammal, fish, amphibian, reptile or plant.” The statute doesn’t say anything about insects.’

^ Seems it would have been easier and simple just to list insects or invertebrates as candidates for protection…But that’s not how anything is done in California anymore.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »
Bumblebees before fishies!  :banana:

Without bees we'd be proper effed. Wasps, they can do one. Don't even make jam.  :old:

Indeed.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2022, 02:12:42 AM »
Zack tell us about that little white moth that had to change it’s colour from white to a dark mottled. IIRC this happened just after the start of the industrial revolution.

Gates kept his sports cars cause he’s trying to compete with Nick Mason.

Yes

Said moth changed colour during the industrial revolution to protect itself from predators.

This fact I knew in 1979 when Soylent green was our staple diet.

People were going to starve in 1999 but now they are dying from gluttony…fact

Polar bears favourite food is people…fact

Nature has and is trying to do us in at every opportunity.fact

Only thing this environmental hysteria is explaining is the stupidity of the stateless gender less lives of the Westerner.

If you bend the knee it will save the moths

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:58 AM »
Oh I think I understand. That seems a bit needlessly complex. Perhaps fighting about it from a faction-vs-faction way is less wise than taking a holistic view.  :cheers:

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 07:58:02 AM »
My bum hole does not need holistic attention :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2022, 08:07:59 AM »
My bum hole does not need holistic attention :old:

Holistic enough as it is, eh?  :old:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2022, 09:33:45 AM »
Yes

Said moth changed colour during the industrial revolution to protect itself from predators.

Polar bears favourite food is people…fact

If you bend the knee it will save the moths

While a polar bear might eat a human it’s hardly it’s favourite food! They say it tastes too much like pork. They much prefer seal, walrus and whale…oh no kill the bears to save the whales. They have been seen actively hunting belugas and pretty much consider anything that moves as food and even some things that don’t move.

Polar bear have recently started to mate with grizzlies,guess they are spending too much time on land and are getting confused.

So if I bend a knee will I save a bear???    Asking for a friend as we both live in the wilderness of Ontario.

<S>

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2022, 07:38:44 AM »

So if I bend a knee will I save a bear???    Asking for a friend as we both live in the wilderness of Ontario.

<S>

I didn't know there was civilization in Ontario.  Wow. 

I apologize, I didn't even try to resist that.  You're welcome to make Georgia rednecks jokes.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2022, 08:17:30 AM »
I didn't know there was civilization in Ontario.  Wow. 

I apologize, I didn't even try to resist that.  You're welcome to make Georgia rednecks jokes.

Who said civilization????   I live in the wilderness in Ontario,just finished putting the summer wheels on the dogsled,not sure why as summer only lasts 72 hours!. Actually we only have 2 seasons, winter and black fly/mosquito which some insist on calling summer.

Don’t believe the hype,there’s nothing to see here and it’s not worth the effort to come here. Unless you want to feed the bears,they’re always hungry.

<S>