Author Topic: Something you won't find in your mainstream media  (Read 44172 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: Something you won't find in your mainstream media
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2022, 01:22:49 PM »
Here are a few common sense facts.  In this country, since it's inception most if not all, depending on year, owned firearms.  In the beginning it was for protection, it enabled people to hunt and feed the family and protect ones' horse from being stolen.  Horses of course were their transportation and for farming.  Thus it was so important if you stole a horse and were captured you were hung.

Any firearm can do nothing by itself.......fact. It has to be obtained, so does ammo.  Then a human being has to load it, aim it and pull the trigger.  It enables tragedy but a human being causes it.

Cars, knives,bombs and aircraft all enable tragedy also.  The Mura (spelling) building was blown up using a truck and fertilizer that is produced as a by-product of blast furnace Coke making.

The first school building was built in 1621 in the US.  For 370 years not one student walked in with a firearm to kill others.

It is easier to blame these tragedies on an inanimate object then to face the real cause.  Society.  Why........well some people are trying to force their way of living on others.  There are two things in today's society that are the culprit We have politicians that are driving a wedge between people in this country OF BOTH Parties.  Two...yep, social media. They are a sounding board and cheerleaders of this dilemma.  It has become apparent unfortunately.  One can say or write anything they wish without fact.  I surmise not a large part of the population has common sense or questions the truth anymore.  Also......who is at home to teach our children.  When my brother was home and myself Mom was there.  Ya.......go ahead and do something stupid.  No one present to correct or teach in many cases.  Now many families have two parents employed, they can't be home to teach all the time. Also there used to be a time when we just got the news.  It wasn't slanted toward political agendas.  Cable News Networks.a laugh.  Propaganda networks purely.  Also now the mainstream media (networks do the same thing)  Give us enough money and we'll say anything you want!

I can bore you to death on this subject.  I won't.  Easier to blame an inanimate object then look in the mirror and truthfully face the facts. The blame lies on the society in which we now exist.

I can tell you for a fact........I've lived through the 50's until now.  It was never like this even though we all possessed firearms.

A lot harder to correct general society and it's easier to blame a gun.  Nothing will change unless society wakes up and makes intelligent decisions. Even if all firearms are confiscated.
Perpetrators will just use another form to inflict death and suffering.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 01:28:12 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2022, 01:28:40 PM »
Much more common than murder is the legal use of guns to prevent crime. You just don't hear about that. And the second amendment is about preventing government tyranny, which requires more than a household self defense weapon.

The crime problem in America currently is a lack of punishment problem with the very predictable results.
Not as often as you think according to a study done on that topic.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »

I can tell you for a fact........I've lived through the 50's until now.  It was never like this even though we all possessed firearms.

You didn't all possess AR-15s with extended capacity magazines (which appears to be the mass shooter weapon of choice).

Again, in 1994 there was an assault weapons ban and mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the 1994 to 2004 federal ban period.

So, there is something to obvious, after all.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2022, 01:33:22 PM »
As long as gangs and criminals have guns the general public in the US will not vote for the removal of legally owned firearms..

If such legislation passed and they did not lose their seats the next election cycle,  someone might want to mule count again...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2022, 01:35:22 PM »
Because laws don't work? Alas, its been proven otherwise.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »
It is easier to blame these tragedies on an inanimate object then to face the real cause.  Society.

It's observably a combination of both and other factors not commonly mentioned. Flip the problem on it's head...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »
You didn't all possess AR-15s with extended capacity magazines (which appears to be the mass shooter weapon of choice).

Again, in 1994 there was an assault weapons ban and mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the 1994 to 2004 federal ban period.

So, there is something to obvious, after all.

Inanimate objects all that can do nothing at all unless a human being uses it.  I'm afraid you don't get the point.

You're probably younger then me and don't have the scope and views of the changes of societies as older people who lived then, through time, until now.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
I heard you the first time. And yes, I'm younger than you. That doesn't mean I can't process data or understand history. I recognize and respect your bias but it doesn't present a valid argument AFAIK.  :old:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »
Much much younger than us...maybe by half is my guess

And age with experience makes a huge difference

You'll see that one day...but so many days from now you won't remember this

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
Much much younger than us...maybe by half is my guess

And age with experience makes a huge difference

You'll see that one day...but so many days from now you won't remember this

Eagler

I'm 60, Eagler. You should know that by now. It hasn't been kept secret (I've mentioned my age before). My dad would be 80 if he was still alive. My grandfather would be 104. My views and opinions were initially formed by them (military veterans both, like me). Then, over time, I was able to add my own experiences, as well.

Not remembering exchanges of this nature on the forum are of little consequence to me (to date).

Now, are we done attempting to flex our superior viewpoints?  :old:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 02:08:22 PM by Arlo »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
Sensitive are we?

Sorry if mentioning you're 60 is so traumatizing

Would never have guessed you were that old from your posts

That's a compliment right? :)

Eagler

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2022, 02:15:24 PM »
Sensitive are we?

Sorry if mentioning you're 60 is so traumatizing

Would never have guessed you were that old from your posts

That's a compliment right? :)

Eagler

Relax, I forgive you. No need to flex anymore. :)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2022, 02:29:54 PM »
I am too old to flex :)

:cheers:

Eagler

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »
I am too old to flex :)

:cheers:

Eagler

Well, you 120 yr olds shouldn't fret over that.  :D

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2022, 03:18:08 PM »
Here are a few common sense facts.  In this country, since it's inception most if not all, depending on year, owned firearms.  In the beginning it was for protection, it enabled people to hunt and feed the family and protect ones' horse from being stolen.  Horses of course were their transportation and for farming.  Thus it was so important if you stole a horse and were captured you were hung.

As for horse theft being a hanging offense, that was only true in certain cases out west.  If you stole a horse out of a livery stable in a town, the owner wasn't put to risk.  If you were out on the Staked Plains, however, being put afoot was much more serious.

And yeah, I grew up in the 60s/70s and we boys carried our shotguns and deer rifles to school in our cars during the fall.  And it's true, we didn't have military grade weapons.  Let me tell you what we also didn't have.  We didn't have people telling us we didn't have to face the consequences for our actions.  We didn't have 'kill 'em all' video games.  We didn't have helicopter parents screaming at the school system when we broke the rules.

I grew up working on a farm, an hour before breakfast/school every day and all afternoon every day.  When was older, at 14, I took a summer job off the farm and found my own employment through the rest of high school, heck, for the rest of my life.  My parents taught me to work for the things I wanted and to respect other people.  The end result is that, at 63, I've never committed a crime worse than speeding and I was able to retire three months shy of my 49th birthday.  I was more mature at 16 than most of the thirty-odds I meet today.

Sorry.  I didn't mean to rant. 

My point is that when something 'horrible' happens to someone these days, from K-4 through adulthood, they've been taught that it's someone else's fault and that someone else should pay.  As always, my opinion.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.