Author Topic: Question on film quality  (Read 1928 times)

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
Question on film quality
« on: June 11, 2022, 05:12:42 PM »
Interesting problem here.  When I'm flying, everything looks clear.  Film playback, everything looks clear.  But if I use Bandicam/Fraps/OBS/Whatever to record from film playback, the results look like crap.  I've tried upping frame rates, etc, and followed the suggestions on the appropriate websites.  I did blame it on the video card I was using (AMD RX570 with 4 GB of ram), but I installed an EVGA FTW3 3080 with 12GB of ram last week, and I can't see a difference in recording results.  I have not tried any of the programs while in-game, because recordable moments can be far-between, but suspect the results would be the same.  I guess I need to try it though.  Will do that shortly.   

Any suggestions?   :salute

Thanks!

HlyWd

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Question on film quality
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »
All depends on the quality settings used in your software. Any of them will produce a great looking video. But if you're worried about the file size and dial back on the quality it's gonna prolly be crappy looking (pixelated, washed out). File type is another factor. An uncompressed avi is a higher quality file. Other types like mp4 compress the video to save space. Best you can do is make the best compromise between your quality settings and your hard drive space. Higher KBs will produce better quality video.

Same rules apply when streaming. Use the highest KBs your bandwidth can accommodate for the best looking stream.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 09:23:39 AM »
I use the twitch studio app

really easy to set up and the quality is good.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 09:42:05 AM »
Yeah but it's all about the bit rate. Higher bit rate =better quality but also= larger file size. That's just how it works. Just about any software you might use to do this has these adjustments. Also, be sure to select constant bit rate. That and a 4k vid file will be larger than a 1080p file.

But the best laid plans really get trashed when you upload your video to someplace like YT. You notice it'll say "processing" for maybe a lot longer than it took to upload. They're compressing your video themselves before posting it. So it's important to upload a higher quality video knowing they're gonna knock it down a few pegs anyway.

Noticeable things might be dots you saw in the distance in your video when you put it together not being visible when viewed on YT. That kind of thing. So aim a little higher uploading to compensate. Uploading a marginal quality video is really gonna look bad by the time they're done with it!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Thanks Drano, Darkwood!   :cheers:

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »
Twitch studio records in Mp4 format so it is easier to work with.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 10:15:47 PM »
If you have an Nvdia graphics card you can use Shadow Play. It's really easy and you don't have to worry about settings too much.

With OBS there are a thousand different settings and it takes a lot of trial and error to fiqure out what's correct.

I just use Shadow Play and record from my cockpit. You can also run AH Film Viewer and record using Shadow Play.

If your thinking about getting a graphics card, this would be a big reason to get an NVIDIA one.

This is what my latest video looks like for comparison.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 09:20:34 PM »
The best way is to use a dedicated capture card on a second system using lossless formats/data rates. Then you can edit it down to whatever bitrate you want, but then YouTube settings will give you jaggies and blurriness again.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »
Did you try your new settings yet.

I'm interested to know what you find out?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 01:19:20 PM »
Best way I found was to film AH, is to do it from the film viewer at half or quarter speed at 72FPS.
Then to speed up the footage in your editing software to the actual speed or slightly over.

One of my settings is
x0.28 recorded in AH Filmviewer and Play at x4.0in Vegas
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
Interesting Dolby.

Why would you do that?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
Interesting Dolby.

Why would you do that?

Smooth, all for the smooth
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 12:06:00 PM »
Results- I tried some changes.  Seems to look best in Shadowplay, but it is recording the whole desktop, including the film viewer, not just the video window.  Still looking through settings.  Thanks for all the advice.   :rock

HW

Offline sanfordpaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
Yeah. I just play the film viewer and move the camera around while recording in shadow play. Then in the editing software I zoom in so you can’t see the windows and controls. Obviously this is not the best for quality. But in terms of time to make your video it’s pretty good.

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »
Tried your method, and realized it's the output of the editing program (Movie Studio Platinum 17) that looks like crap.  The source video recorded from Shadowplay is fine.