Author Topic: Everybody's music thread!  (Read 8839 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Everybody's music thread!
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »
I've got a bunch of songs on my soundcloud  page

I use this page for working out my songs, so ,most of these are first drafts of songs I was working on. I have a private band forum were my band used to post threads with links to our soundcloud songs. They automatically embed and can be played right from the forum, so we could all here and work on them.

So some are using drum loops. others Superior Drummer and others are more complete with a real drummer.

When I come up with a song, I usually have a scratch vocal melody and nonsense words that pop into my head and I just go with water flows out. Later I go through what I like and work on those.

By the way, there are two songs for Arlo there close to the top. Arlo West and Triple Vaxxed Tard of the West. I have lyrics but decide to lay off... so maybe I'll make these regular songs

https://soundcloud.com/gpartin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 08:59:16 AM by -gg- »
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »
My ex-wife took every opportunity to denigrate and criticize my efforts to make any success out of my musical talent while at the same time we both were supporting our son as he thoroughly enjoyed playing music in his middle school/high school band.

Our band was really starting to make gains in performing original music - we opened for some good ones, like Great White, Tesla, Robin Trower (think Bridge of Sighs), Faster P****cat (can't believe the forum filter tags that one), etc..
But had to give it up as it wasn't the best thing being away from my sons, and balancing other aspects of life in general. Just too much on the plate to continue.

I'd love to hear it. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »
I've got a bunch of songs on my soundcloud  page

I use this page for working out my songs, so ,most of these are first drafts of songs I was working on. I have a private band forum were my band used to post threads with links to our soundcloud songs. They automatically embed and can be played right from the forum, so we could all here and work on them.

So some are using drum loops. others Superior Drummer and others are more complete with a real drummer.

When I come up with a song, I usually have a scratch vocal melody and nonsense words that pop into my head and I just go with water flows out. Later I go through what I like and work on those.

By the way, there are two songs for Arlo there close to the top. Arlo West and Triple Vaxxed Tard of the West. I have lyrics but decide to lay off... so maybe I'll make these regular songs

https://soundcloud.com/gpartin

I'll check it out in a bit GG.  Mom is notoriously chatty today and dad is being needy.  I just took a quick 30 minute break from being the anchor that's holding this place together while they planned on spending my money (don't give a flip about that really) to upgrade their house next year.  Just let me get my rig and my gear so I can go get clubbed like a baby seal nightly folks LOL. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2022, 10:39:11 AM »
I'll check it out in a bit GG.  Mom is notoriously chatty today and dad is being needy.  I just took a quick 30 minute break from being the anchor that's holding this place together while they planned on spending my money (don't give a flip about that really) to upgrade their house next year.  Just let me get my rig and my gear so I can go get clubbed like a baby seal nightly folks LOL.

:rofl

:)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »
Gina,

My name is actually Michael (fly as X15).  Joined as "Slade" a decade ago. LOL.

Sleepy Lemon Monkeys have some cool tunes on your SoundCloud page!  I "liked" a few of your tunes.  :rock

I posted this new one today for some initial feedback.  Dedicated to Rory Gallagher.  It's simple enough.  It's been stuck in my head so I had to record it.

https://soundcloud.com/michaelelliott314/for-rory

Gina do you write lyrics?

-Michael
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
I'd love to hear it.

Our band (2011-2015)

Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2022, 06:02:43 PM »
Gina,

Sleepy Lemon Monkeys have some cool tunes on your SoundCloud page!  I "liked" a few of your tunes.  :rock

I posted this new one today for some initial feedback.  Dedicated to Rory Gallagher.  It's simple enough.  It's been stuck in my head so I had to record it.

-Michael

Hey I know you were talking at Gina but nice work.. came out a tad overmodulated on my end but I've got my sound going through my standard speakers right now.  I could see how some catchy lyrics could really make it shine.  Unfortunately any 'lyrics' I could write would make gangsta rappers blush :) 

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
I was the drummer in The Vapours

you were the picture in the vapors.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2022, 09:38:38 PM »
Gina,

-Michael

sorry, I had to work a little bit today. Convention in Long Beach.

Thank you for having a listen and for liking some of the songs. I'll take a listen to yours and follow you back!

I'm not great at lyrics. I can come up with a vocal melody line for anything. Harmonies too.

My approach to lyrics is to just sing whatever pops into my head, then pick out words or phrases that sound good and create the lyrics from that.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »
Our band (2011-2015)

Not mu style of music, but that sounds great. Very professional.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2022, 06:19:34 AM »
sorry, I had to work a little bit today. Convention in Long Beach.

Thank you for having a listen and for liking some of the songs. I'll take a listen to yours and follow you back!

I'm not great at lyrics. I can come up with a vocal melody line for anything. Harmonies too.

My approach to lyrics is to just sing whatever pops into my head, then pick out words or phrases that sound good and create the lyrics from that.

used to do that a lot as a club DJ but most of my 'lyrics' to a song I'd played a couple hundred times were NSFW

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2022, 07:06:37 AM »
thndregg your tunes sound great!  Thanks for feedback too.  :aok

Gina, how you are writing songs is how many do it.  I am relatively new to it too.  I first come up with the music.  Then come up with a melody for each section (Verse, Chorus, Bridge).  Once I have a melody that I still like after a few days I put words to each note.

The recent Beatles "Get Back" documentary is amazing for musicians to learn from.  John Lennon said to do the same thing you are doing.  Put in any word at first if you have to. "Cauliflower" or whatever. Then later you can change it.  :old:

Both Jon Anderson (Yes) and Sting (Police) use this method too.  Here is a vid forwarded to the point where Jon Anderson talks about it a bit:

https://youtu.be/Huw0TAb7tm4?t=186
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2022, 10:32:04 AM »
for me, the music and vocal melody come at the same time. Usually every section of the song will be there too. Then I just adjust it as needed.

My problem is that I'm lazy and a perfectionist. So I rarely every go back and finish a song. When I do work on finishing a song, I get too far into the weeds of production and making it sound right that it ends up frustrating me and I end up shelving it for a new idea - then the cycle continues.

I wish I had a producer.

I don't like recording al the parts over for the "record". I like coming up with the music, so most of my stuff is first or second take stuff that I made up on the spot.

The Beatles will never be equaled. That combination of talent, personality, intelligence and time. That was magic what they did.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »
Ya okay with the self doubt Gina.  I wasn't the most talented DJ on the face of the planet but I got popular and even somewhat 'famous' in the mid 90's because I was a really good entertainer. 

Maybe the Beatles won't ever be bested but you have talent and you should let it shine. 

Right before COVID hit I spent a few months getting back into the groove to DJ again and even did a couple of gigs.  But work / life / COVID put a knife in that.  Could I get back into the groove again?  Probably.  But, honestly, where I'm at in life I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I used to or was looking forward to back pre COVID. 

That said I think you should follow your passion and don't measure yourself against anyone but yourself.  You've got talents that a lot of people don't have.  Let em shine :)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2022, 10:45:50 PM »
Thank you, Dichotomy. That was very nice of you to say!

I think you should get back into the DJ stuff. it sounds like you really enjoyed that, and I'll bet you are a lot better than you think or let on.

Some of you guys have been very nice to me here at AH. Thank you.

p.s.  I would love to have you guys as  members of ICOM. There's some good people there - mostly from an AH background.
We all have similar interests + there is no demerit system or "watch" lists there.

<3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 10:50:00 PM by -gg- »