Author Topic: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts  (Read 4554 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts
« on: June 26, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »
It seems to me is that the G6 is pretty much the 109 of choice of most of which I'm seeing.

With cannon pods ?

It's not the fastest, Doesn't turn well. I'm at a loss at how lethal you guys fly this bird.

Any time I've flown it, it is a trip to the tower...quickly.

As a beginning 109'er, what are the cardinal rules in flying it well.  Read the articles at the website on planes.  Makes it seem to be easy.

It is not. Any tips you can share ?

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: 109 pilots. Share some secrets flying the beasts
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 04:10:57 PM »
Ill be watching this thread. I like the G2 better than the G6, I just seem to handle it a bit better.

Still trying to figure out throttle control, when to chop to "0", or half and when to hammer it again.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:12:54 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »
I assume you are referring to MA use, in which case the G-6 is probably the worst choice of all the 109's. He has no advantage over the typical MA aircraft.

Since it seems like you want something that turns better, try the G-2 or F-4. G-2 turns well and can climb better than most MA opponents. The F-4 turns even better, but it lacks the engine power of the G-2. Without gondolas, the guns are the same in both. Just avoid a turn fight against the usual turn fighters; Zekes, Brewsters, etc.

The gondolas add significant weight and drag. If you think you're likely to encounter bombers or Jugs, they will probably prove useful. Context is everything.

Learn to use the flaps. They are critical in 109's. Flaps can be deployed under 200 mph. They are especially useful at gaining angles at the top of a rolling scissors.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 04:58:55 PM »
What Devil said.

The G6 is my least favorite 109, the G2 is my favorite non K4 109, with the F4 closely behind.

The K4 is a monster performance wise, and I enjoy flying it. The down side of the K4 is hitting with the tater it can be frustrating for those like me that struggle with gunnery.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 05:55:07 PM »
G6 is best on the deck

109E the most fun

109F the dogfighter
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:58:26 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 06:04:45 PM »

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 06:10:44 PM »
I like the g2 with gonds better than any other 109 with gonds as it turns better

MA 109 guide...

Small dar bar 109f

Medium bar 109g2 with gonds

Large bar 109k4 as the horde will catch and kill you in the other two

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »
Gondola's are not recommended for the inexperienced 109 flyer  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 07:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the films. I see I'm going to have to learn deploying flaps.

A couple of "hair on fire" fights which I love. But your outcomes are much better than mine.  Love them regardless.

Eagler thanks. Inexperienced but Gondo's is a necessity with me because my gunnery sucks..

I can't plink lol.

Fugi, keep us updated. I love the discussions.  I read the website plane discussions, I reread them practically daily on the different planes I fly.

What small sucess I achieve is mostly in the Yak3. But the seafire is the most fun even though I rarely succeed. Had a Yak3 that b&z'd me jeez about 10 times. He finally gave up and I counted it as a victory with alot of fun.

Keep advise coming !!
nopoop

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 07:27:45 PM »
Ditch the gondolas and don't take bad shots.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
I can't FLS, I have a real hard time with "good" shots.

Took her up tonight and had a 2 kill sortie but ran out of gas and couldn't land them, had to ditch. Pretty agile, better than I expected with the gondies.

BUT those were co alt or below me. Forgot to try flaps, but what is going to be hard is cons with altitude.

Being that it felt pretty good from a maneuvering point of view, I'll try it without gondies, but that comes back to my crappy gunnery.

I had changed my POV to 92 a couple of weeks back because POV is the only way to make the cons "bigger" in the sight picture.

Went back to 107 and the bars of the canopy are much better. Going to keep that POV.

Fun stuff !! 
nopoop

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:35 PM »
I assume you are referring to MA use, in which case the G-6 is probably the worst choice of all the 109's. He has no advantage over the typical MA aircraft.

Yes.  And no.  The G6 is clearly the most difficult of the 109s in which to succeed, although in the MA I guess the Emil takes that prize.  That's why Real Men fly the G6.  And hey, its 12.7s can make a difference over those deer rifles on the Friederick and G2.

But the G6 has a huge advantage over many of the MA planes, principally in its climb and in its turn-with-flaps.  Takes some practice, but it's a nice ride once you've become acquainted.

- oldman

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 09:39:20 PM »

Yes.  And no.  The G6 is clearly the most difficult of the 109s in which to succeed, although in the MA I guess the Emil takes that prize.  That's why Real Men fly the G6.  And hey, its 12.7s can make a difference over those deer rifles on the Friederick and G2.

But the G6 has a huge advantage over many of the MA planes, principally in its climb and in its turn-with-flaps.  Takes some practice, but it's a nice ride once you've become acquainted.

- oldman

I think my missed my point. The Emil is top 15-ish in turn circle. That's an advantage over a vast majority of other aircraft. Sure it's speed and climb are sub-par and it's roll rate is garbage, but if you take an Emil to a CV fight you can find some decent success. Just avoid the Zekes.

The margin of advantage in turn and climb that the G-6 has is so little that almost every enemy has an exploitable advantage over the it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:41:06 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 11:19:26 PM »
I can't FLS, I have a real hard time with "good" shots.

Took her up tonight and had a 2 kill sortie but ran out of gas and couldn't land them, had to ditch. Pretty agile, better than I expected with the gondies.

BUT those were co alt or below me. Forgot to try flaps, but what is going to be hard is cons with altitude.

Being that it felt pretty good from a maneuvering point of view, I'll try it without gondies, but that comes back to my crappy gunnery.

I had changed my POV to 92 a couple of weeks back because POV is the only way to make the cons "bigger" in the sight picture.

Went back to 107 and the bars of the canopy are much better. Going to keep that POV.

Fun stuff !!

Practice flying loops using flaps, fly tilted loops as well as pure vertical. Fly fast loops and as slow as you can.  That will help you get a feel for flaps. Remember in general, flaps up to halfway down increase lift more than drag, after halfway you increase drag more than lift.

Look at speed and G in the HUD. The amount of G you can pull at a given speed is your turn performance. When you fly a flat sustained turn you can compare speed and G in different aircraft. You can also see the difference in turn performance from the weight of the gondolas or the weight of fuel.

Spend a little time with the LCGS in the TA to make sure you give sufficient lead to your turning shots.