Author Topic: National power grid down one month......Lord of the Flies?  (Read 8973 times)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: National power grid down one month......Lord of the Flies?
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2022, 06:24:33 AM »
gas pumps work on electricity.  no advantage over ev.

semp

Yep. Just remember to have some gallons of electricity in storage.

When I worked in a service station, we had hand cranks to use the pumps w/o power.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2022, 07:20:17 AM »
gas pumps work on electricity.  no advantage over ev.

semp
there sure is. even my excursion will still be sipping(big sips, lolol) gasoline when your f150 lightning or ev hummer runs out of battery charge. that is of course presuming that "they" haven't just shut off all of the electrics.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2022, 07:53:31 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/09/us-power-grid-pacific-northwest-attacks

Now the other side of the country..

Interesting to see who tries to pin this on whom

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »
there sure is. even my excursion will still be sipping(big sips, lolol) gasoline when your f150 lightning or ev hummer runs out of battery charge. that is of course presuming that "they" haven't just shut off all of the electrics.

there's no special electrical lines going to gas stations. so no juice for evs, no gas for cars. well unless gas stations install hand crank pumps then one that station runs out of gas since refineries run on electricity. not including the mess no street lights will create.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2022, 12:33:33 PM »
they're not. anyone with any basic knowledge can do what you mentioned above. thankfully we're not a country full of extremists and terrorists. sadly though it would seem that many extremists and terrorists are entering the country illegally. and they have said knowledge.

i'd like to think i'm wrong on what's gonna happen when they do the next "big one". i pray i am to be honest.

Just be sure you are getting clean 60Hz power. I have a lot of electronics in my home, computers, refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, etc. They all have electronic boards these days.

I own my 500 gallon tank so I can buy from any suppliers around here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 12:35:38 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2022, 02:23:59 PM »

there's no special electrical lines going to gas stations. so no juice for evs, no gas for cars. well unless gas stations install hand crank pumps then one that station runs out of gas since refineries run on electricity. not including the mess no street lights will create.

semp

I think folks are saying that gas vehicles would be used and useful if the grid were down for a month, whereas electric vehicles would be useless once out of the current charge.

Yes, if electricity were unavailable for too long, gas would run out.  So would food, medicine, healthcare, and everything else.  Also, sanitation would become a problem.

Once transportation is down, food would be out in 3 days.  That's about how much stock supermarkets keep.

If we had an EMP or Carrington Event, a lot of people would die.

Carrington Event would burn out the power grid.  But equipment such as cars, trucks, and generators, would still work for as long as there is any gasoline.

Country-wide EMP would be the worst, as it would burn out everything with wires in it, connected to the grid at the time or not.  The power grid *and* cars, trucks, generators, pumps, pumping stations, power stations would be burned out.  Even 1930's Soviet tractors don't survive EMP.  Under that situation, folks are immediately restricted to an area that is how far they can walk.  In places without fresh water, folks would die in a week.  For the rest, they'd last a month or two, as food would run out in a few days.

I think odds of a country-wide EMP attack are low.  But it is easy for any country with nukes to take out the entire US this way with only a few nukes exploded above atmosphere; and the consequences are death for the unprepared.  That's what caused me to do the easiest, cheapest path possible for preparing.  Rice and beans in 5 gallon buckets, with sealed mylar bag inside and an oxygen absorber in it.  Each 5-gal bucket worth is about $25 to do, provides 1 man-month of calories, takes no special storage, and will last for 30 years.  Also rice+beans makes complete protein that a human can live off of.  That plus a water filter that can input ditch water and get drinkable water out, and a big bag of salt.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2022, 04:23:27 PM »
I understand that brooks. but gas vehicles would only run with the gas they have in their tanks and just like ev it's dead cars everywhere.

unless of course gas stations use hand pumps. but then it comes the problem of where to get them. no registers no sales. assuming employees will even show up as they can't get paid.

I've seen a block lose electricity not sure why.  grocery store, bank, gas station and maybe 12 small stores all employees standing outside waiting. took about 1 hour.

so for those that are planning to laugh at evs, well your car won't have gas either. in the end of the world scenario you write about

me I don't care since I'm supposed to die next year from the 4 covid shots I took.  according to some people here.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2022, 09:21:50 PM »

semp
you are partially correct. the stupid people that constantly run their vehicles on or near "E" ('cause yaknow?E=Enough i guess) will run out of gas quickly. those of us that keep our tanks full on all of our vehicles will have some time. and my point was that with a 50 gallon tank(47 actually), when the average battery car runs outta juice, i'll probably still have a half of a tank.
 also.....many gas stations(at least here in nj) have backup gennys.
 now since we're talkin' gas stations, what SHOULD worry people is that many gas stations keep less than 1/4 of their capacity in the ground. that would run out in less than a week.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2022, 09:26:35 PM »
Just be sure you are getting clean 60Hz power. I have a lot of electronics in my home, computers, refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, etc. They all have electronic boards these days.

I own my 500 gallon tank so I can buy from any suppliers around here.
i'm not sure what hz i'm getting. tv's and stereos plugged into surge protectors. computer is on a apc ups.
 you'll love this. my fridge is from somewhere around 1977. :D got a meat freezer in the basement that's from around 73. got an old philco fridge from the 50's. that one's unplugged though, although it was functioning when i pulled the plug. i don't have much else to worry about electronic-wise. like i said....my house is tiny. at one point i was gonna try to sell, buy something bigger/newer/nicer for mom to live out her final years in something nice.....when i offered that to her, she got mad and said she just wants to stay right here in my house. i don't need anything more than what i've got....it keeps me warm/cool/dry when it needs to do any of those, and lets me spend money on more fun stuff like cars/guns/computers etc.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2022, 05:07:17 AM »
i'm not sure what hz i'm getting. tv's and stereos plugged into surge protectors. computer is on a apc ups.
 you'll love this. my fridge is from somewhere around 1977. :D got a meat freezer in the basement that's from around 73. got an old philco fridge from the 50's. that one's unplugged though, although it was functioning when i pulled the plug. i don't have much else to worry about electronic-wise. like i said....my house is tiny. at one point i was gonna try to sell, buy something bigger/newer/nicer for mom to live out her final years in something nice.....when i offered that to her, she got mad and said she just wants to stay right here in my house. i don't need anything more than what i've got....it keeps me warm/cool/dry when it needs to do any of those, and lets me spend money on more fun stuff like cars/guns/computers etc.

LOL yup... my last fridge was almost 30 years old when I retired it. Sits I'm my Father-in-laws shop keeping drinks cold now. Not efficient but it is cold. The new stuff will not last that long with all the electronics on board.

By the way.... all I ever had to do to that old fridge is change out the timer on the ice maker. It was 15 bucks and took about 15 minutes to change.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2022, 07:55:36 AM »
Semp that is what this thread is really about...

That an extended power outage should not be an "end of world scenario" but due to our level of civility and government/ personal preparations or lack of them.. it will more than likely become such an event for many

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »
Once “the tough” get going, the going get’s “tougher”.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2022, 03:03:45 PM »
Also rice+beans makes complete protein that a human can live off of.

Or store guns and ammo instead.  And develop a taste for human flesh. 
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2022, 03:33:07 PM »
Or store guns and ammo instead.  And develop a taste for human flesh.

With all the contamination via processed food that people eat it’s not that good, it has a somewhat bitter aftertaste akin to half spoiled pork. If you could find a vegan that actually has some meat on their bones that might make for a fine meal.

Chuikov

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2022, 07:11:16 AM »
I understand that brooks. but gas vehicles would only run with the gas they have in their tanks and just like ev it's dead cars everywhere.

unless of course gas stations use hand pumps. but then it comes the problem of where to get them.

semp

Service station fuel pumps can be hand cranked by removing the panel covering the electric motor and the pump. Remove the belt coming from the motor to the pump unit. Put a hand crank to the nut holding pumps pulley and start rotating. Been there, done that in exercise. Slow, but works.
The Mad   CatMan!