Author Topic: Stealth apartment on wheels - looks like a work van but check it out inside  (Read 318 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
I love this. I love tiny homes too. I live in a 40 foot travel trailer myself, and I have built up the inside over the years.

I've always wanted to build something like this. My plan in to buy a little land some day and live in something very modest - and try to be more self sufficient. A van like this would be great for traveling or living in while you take time to build something on some land. Or whatever.

I think this guy did a great job. Living in a city, this van would go unnoticed. If you just have an RV you'll get kicked out of a lot of places you try to park.

He even put a work shirt in on the dash. lol

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member

I've been a big fan of tiny house designs for years. 
Trivia, a lot of the design principals of tiny house design were borrowed from yacht cabin designs.

I've been considering building a tiny house design on my land as an upgrade from my current cabin.  It's within my capability to build unlike a full scale house and all I need just for me.  Smaller means cheaper to build and cheaper to heat and cool.

I've considered building a tiny house on the Tumbleweed floor plan but just put it on a simple pier and beam foundation instead of a trailer.  Then hooking it up to a solar system to make it off grid. 

https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Or maybe something similar to the Cube House design. 

What I never understood about van-life is vehicles breakdown.  If your vehicle is your home, what are you supposed to do for a week while your van is in the shop having the tranny rebuilt?

I've followed van-life culture on youtube for years.  Did you see  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9770150/

Life out at my cabin will be rustic, but a hell of a lot better than living in a van. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
By the river.  :)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Did you see that story about the family that bought a two-story home Depot shed and built it into a really nice home on their own land? I'll try to look up the link for you. They ended up selling the place for close to $300,000 with the land. It was super nice and it was based on a steel framed, two-story home Depot shed. Home Depot came out and framed it and I guess put the basic part of the place together and then they built it out.

I'm a big fan of tiny houses as well. It's kind of frustrating though because building something like that still is pretty expensive.

I also had subscribed to this couple who builds cabins from scratch on their own land. They even chopped down the trees and make the logs. That's such an attractive thing for me. I would love to have my own land with a well, power and a solar system. I would love to have at least a couple of acres somewhere where I could have privacy and be remote enough where people wouldn't care what you put on your land.

Right now I'm saving my money. My rent is super low where I live and I love the place I'm in. I live in a travel trailer that I've built up pretty nicely inside. My place is very private. And my rent is only $385 per month plus electricity. I don't know how long that can be that price for but it's been that way for 14 years.

But yeah, the tiny house thing is a great thing. Or building your own cabin.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Here's the story about the family who bought the two-story home Depot shed. Check it out!

https://www.newsweek.com/we-turned-home-depot-shed-tiny-home-sold-250000-1726484