Author Topic: Okay we're having fun now. Let's talk Corsairs  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Okay we're having fun now. Let's talk Corsairs
« on: August 08, 2022, 05:26:49 PM »
Always hung my head and sighed when I got that ride in FSO.  Just couldn't ever get comfortable in her while other guys could make her dance on the head of a pin. 

Tips tricks secrets.  Do share gents. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Okay we're having fun now. Let's talk Corsairs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
Landing GEAR
Fuel Management
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 05:31:46 PM »
Flaps & manual trim.
Not that I was ever any good at it...  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »
F4U-1 Birdcage all day every day. Gets more perk points, and the viewpoints are all weird on the later Corsairs. The Birdcage, funny enough, gives me the best situational awareness. I've knocked down many-a cocky cannon Corsairs with the Birdcage.
Turn n' Burn!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 07:35:58 PM »
Rudder, it’s huge and can perform magic. I’m sure Sik1 will be along to answers questions on it.

Online Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 07:36:48 PM »
F4U-1 Birdcage all day every day. Gets more perk points, and the viewpoints are all weird on the later Corsairs. The Birdcage, funny enough, gives me the best situational awareness. I've knocked down many-a cocky cannon Corsairs with the Birdcage.

Helll yea brotha
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 08:57:29 PM »
I could go on about F4Us forever. It's probably my favorite WW2 fighter. I watched so many Black Sheep shows on trips and craved to play AH after watching them. The F4U4 is hands down the best plane in the game. It's like the temp or spit16 where you are pretty much cheating for flying it  :D The Dhog is my personal favorite. It can out turn any plane and can practically hover due to huge wings and flaps. It's not a "turn fighter" though. It should be flown in high alt E mode for attack missions off the CV to be the most successful. Basically like a P51 or P47 the proper way. While it is extremely successful in the turn fight. It burns a lot of E. Being low on the deck with low E in a turn fight is detrimental to the corsair, fun, but detrimental.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 05:20:37 AM »
Out of all the F4U types the F4U-1 is the best at sustained turning, throughout every flaps setting....the rest are best sustained turning with 2 notches of flaps out....

F4U-1 will out turn any other F4U after 2 notches....F4U vs F4U any model,  really comes down to the pilot's ability and how the first engagement started. My thoughts anyway

Just got watch, learn and train and keep practicing

Dropping the gear is not a good thing to do,  shot down many a hogs when dogfighting and they dropped that gear!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:22:57 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
Making 1/32 scale 1a for the grandson now

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »
I like the 1D for dive bombing.  Lowering the gear makes excellent dive brakes, just have to remember to retract them after the drop.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
I like the 1D for dive bombing.  Lowering the gear makes excellent dive brakes, just have to remember to retract them after the drop.

Yes!

I  am recommending that they are not necessary in dogfighting!

There used to be a thread where  Badboy used a film of Sirloin and I (I asked for his permission to use my film for training purposes) were in a long extreme rolling scissors engagement...and  it showed how much E dropping one's gear in a F4U would cost you...

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 08:50:04 AM »
Yes!

I  am recommending that they are not necessary in dogfighting!

There used to be a thread where  Badboy used a film of Sirloin and I (I asked for his permission to use my film for training purposes) were in a long extreme rolling scissors engagement...and  it showed how much E dropping one's gear in a F4U would cost you...

Dropping them for dive bombing with power on may lead to a nasty surprise.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 10:18:22 AM »
The Hog is for fat girls with chubby fingers. The A5 is where it's at. At least, that's something I would have said years ago when I flew AH all the time and specialized in the 190. Loose Deuce!

Fun to see so many great sticks posting on this thread!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 10:24:08 AM »
Not much left for me to say. I'm a corsair nut, and have been since long before the internet. The birdcage is my favorite, it has the best rear views of all the hogs, can be a great perk farmer, and just looks sexy.

All corsairs with the exception of the -4 have poor acceleration, and climb performance. So, If you want to learn the F4U stay out of the -4. It will mask your deficiencies, and let you get into bad habits that will get you killed in the other hogs. The corsair does retain it's E well, but once lost, it takes time to rebuild. The flaps, and rudder are both very effective, but they really drain your E, so use them judiciously. Roll rate is your friend, and can get you out of trouble, or into a favorable position.

Like Violator said getting low and slow can be fun, but normally leads to a quick trip to the tower. As TC said, don't use the landing gear in a dogfight. The main gear was designed and used as a dive brake, and it works great in that role, but really drains to much E to be used in a dogfight. Being successful in the hog is all about energy management.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 01:52:32 PM »
Not much left for me to say. I'm a corsair nut, and have been since long before the internet. The birdcage is my favorite, it has the best rear views of all the hogs, can be a great perk farmer, and just looks sexy.

All corsairs with the exception of the -4 have poor acceleration, and climb performance. So, If you want to learn the F4U stay out of the -4. It will mask your deficiencies, and let you get into bad habits that will get you killed in the other hogs. The corsair does retain it's E well, but once lost, it takes time to rebuild. The flaps, and rudder are both very effective, but they really drain your E, so use them judiciously. Roll rate is your friend, and can get you out of trouble, or into a favorable position.

Like Violator said getting low and slow can be fun, but normally leads to a quick trip to the tower. As TC said, don't use the landing gear in a dogfight. The main gear was designed and used as a dive brake, and it works great in that role, but really drains to much E to be used in a dogfight. Being successful in the hog is all about energy management.

:salute
Sik

Good stuff Sik1.

But a long time ago I asked you why the corsair had bent wings and you said it was so it could lift it’s skirt before crossing a puddle….. :devil  :bolt: