Author Topic: Whiskey recommendations thread.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Whiskey recommendations thread.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 06:23:40 AM »
Blanton's is terribly difficult to find. To be completely honest, it is not as good as Eagle Rare in my opinion. My favorites are Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Angel's Envy, Buffalo Trace, and Old Forrester 1920. There are tons of great whiskey, it just depends on your budget and palate. For everyday consumption, I would recommend Jefferson's, 1792, Larceny, and Very Old Barton if you can find it.

People are into rye right now, so if you want the spicier side of life, look for Redemption, Sazerac, Templeton, Rittenhouse, and WhistlePig's Rye.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »
The story behind the picture.

Different nations are known for different distilled alcoholic beverages.  For Britain (specifically Scotland), it is scotch.  For France, it is cognac (named after the town Cognac, France).  For Poland and Russia, it is vodka ("vodka" being Polish for "little water").  And so on.  The Finns have Jaloviina.  The quintessential American distilled alcoholic beverage is bourbon (named after Bourbon County, Kentucky or possibly Bourbon Street in New Orleans).

In 2016, leading up to the Dnieper scenario, I suggested that if the Finns would fly in it, I would send them a bottle of my favorite bourbon, Woodford Reserve.

They flew in it, and I sent a bottle.

And they sent back the following awesome picture.  :aok

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
The story behind the picture.

Different nations are known for different distilled alcoholic beverages.  For Britain (specifically Scotland), it is scotch.  For France, it is cognac (named after the town Cognac, France).  For Poland and Russia, it is vodka ("vodka" being Polish for "little water").  And so on.  The Finns have Jaloviina.  The quintessential American distilled alcoholic beverage is bourbon (named after Bourbon County, Kentucky or possibly Bourbon Street in New Orleans).

In 2016, leading up to the Dnieper scenario, I suggested that if the Finns would fly in it, I would send them a bottle of my favorite bourbon, Woodford Reserve.

They flew in it, and I sent a bottle.

And they sent back the following awesome picture.  :aok

(Image removed from quote.)

That is awesome.  :cheers:  Great bourbon too.  Have you been to their distillery?
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 01:22:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I've been tasked with finding a bottle of this for wife--it's only available now and again, and it's first come first serve, made MORE complicated by the Virginia state-run liquor stores

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon/blantons-single-barrel-bourbon?productSize=1

Produced in very limited amounts. Store locations for this item will be randomly selected. In-store purchase only. One bottle per customer per day per location. For store location alerts, sign up for the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter at the bottom of this page.
Please select a store for online shopping.

One of my brothers has the full collection of these with the horse and rider in different positions. He has a guy that lets him know when limited run whiskeys and bourbons are coming in. Took a few years to find them all.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »
That is awesome.  :cheers:  Great bourbon too.  Have you been to their distillery?

Howdy, TheBug!  I haven't.  I'm about a 4 hour drive from them.  So maybe one day.

Do you live near it?

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »
Howdy, TheBug!  I haven't.  I'm about a 4 hour drive from them.  So maybe one day.

Do you live near it?

No I don't live near it but we did a trip down to the area and mixed in with some hiking and outdoor activities we toured Woodford and Buffalo Trace.  The Woodford tour was really nice. 
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2022, 02:32:59 PM »

One of my brothers has the full collection of these with the horse and rider in different positions. He has a guy that lets him know when limited run whiskeys and bourbons are coming in. Took a few years to find them all.
I have since found that you can buy just the bottles from their website, but she actually wants the whiskey also. There's no pleasing the woman
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 02:49:02 PM »

I have a B and two Ls, I'm sure given the whiskey/bourbon craze it will be much harder to collect them all these days, but figured I'd give it a shot.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »
No I don't live near it but we did a trip down to the area and mixed in with some hiking and outdoor activities we toured Woodford and Buffalo Trace.  The Woodford tour was really nice.

Sweet!

If you are ever in the Nashville area and want me to take you out to lunch or dinner, along with local whiskey, let me know.  :aok