Author Topic: Whiskey recommendations thread.  (Read 1453 times)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
Whiskey recommendations thread.
« on: August 19, 2022, 10:50:55 AM »

If you are looking for a low to mid-priced Irish Whiskey, I would personally recommend...

Full of flavor and velvety smooth.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Whiskey recommendations thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 10:19:43 AM »

I've been tasked with finding a bottle of this for wife--it's only available now and again, and it's first come first serve, made MORE complicated by the Virginia state-run liquor stores

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon/blantons-single-barrel-bourbon?productSize=1

Produced in very limited amounts. Store locations for this item will be randomly selected. In-store purchase only. One bottle per customer per day per location. For store location alerts, sign up for the Spirited Virginia e-newsletter at the bottom of this page.
Please select a store for online shopping.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 10:27:44 AM »
I don't really drink - just the rare margarita  maybe, but I bought a bottle of this Arbeg.

We had a FW meeting near Sacramento about a year ago and Elfie brought a special, rare edition of this stuff.
I'm not a Scotch or Whiskey drinker. Don't know anything about any of it, but this stuff was great!

I had a little bit and sipped it. It's smooth and has a smokey taste.

So I bought a bottle and sometimes before bed I'll have a little bit. I put a couple cubes of ice in mine - I guess that's a no no, but I like it.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:42 AM »
When she finishes her bottle of Glenfiddich I'm getting one of those, I liked it a lot

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 10:32:12 AM »
When she finishes her bottle of Glenfiddich I'm getting one of those, I liked it a lot

The one Elfie brought was some limited edition, bit this stuff is not far off it it.

Tell her  I said to get to drinking!

:)

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 10:41:00 AM »
I finish a bottle of whiskey every 2-3 days...SHE otoh, does one shot per night right before bed (in addition to her glass of wine, of course)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:04:33 PM »
Just yesterday I had nine different Scotch single malts. All were good, some were excellent. That said, after having made tasting notes of about 300 Scotch single malts I still can't name just one favourite! So much depends on the situation. A smoky Ardbeg is good as are most Islay whiskies, but a fruity Speysider or a crisp Highlander can be equally good in a different way. Not to forget the Lowland whiskies.

To me all bourbons so far have tasted like gastric acid so it's Scotch or Irish for me, please.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 01:20:28 PM »
I finish a bottle of whiskey every 2-3 days...SHE otoh, does one shot per night right before bed (in addition to her glass of wine, of course)

That's a hell of a lifestyle, brosef.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 01:28:31 PM »
Well, they're only 5th's

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 01:42:21 PM »
Scotch for taste, rye (Canadian whisky) for results lol.

I don't drink nearly as much rye as I used to but Crown Royal limited edition is my widely available go to.

When I'm in the area or we decide to place an order, Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery has some of the best rye, gin and single malt (can't call it Scotch but it's Scotch) I've had. Disclaimer my knowledge of Scotch is somewhat limited. They release a limited number of bottles of their single malt every year and it's a lottery to be able to purchase one. I don't know if it's available in the US.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 01:50:35 PM »
Just yesterday I had nine different Scotch single malts. All were good, some were excellent. That said, after having made tasting notes of about 300 Scotch single malts I still can't name just one favourite! So much depends on the situation. A smoky Ardbeg is good as are most Islay whiskies, but a fruity Speysider or a crisp Highlander can be equally good in a different way. Not to forget the Lowland whiskies.

To me all bourbons so far have tasted like gastric acid so it's Scotch or Irish for me, please.

If you can find it where you are, Redbreast makes a Kentucky line.  Irish whiskey that spend the end of its aging in Kentucky bourbon barrels.  It’s a higher alcohol percentage.  A friend of mine described it as a bourbon for those who do not like bourbon.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 03:37:36 PM »
To me all bourbons so far have tasted like gastric acid

I think Woodford Reserve is pretty smooth.  I sent a bottle once to Finns for flying in a scenario.  I got back an awesome picture in return.  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »
One of my favorite whiskeys is Balvenie double wood.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 02:57:48 AM »
I think Woodford Reserve is pretty smooth.  I sent a bottle once to Finns for flying in a scenario.  I got back an awesome picture in return.  :aok
It was smooth, agreed, the bottle you sent was the second time I tasted that. But to me it still had that typical aroma. It also was rated the best among the handful of bourbons one member of our tasting group brought as a curiosity from his lecture tour to USA. Five 50 ml bottles were plenty enough for six men, every bottle had a quarter left after the tasting!

I would have liked to add the "awesome picture" here but it seems that the published version was on Google Drive and the link doesn't work any longer. And this forum doesn't allow attachments.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 03:45:06 AM »
I would have liked to add the "awesome picture" here but it seems that the published version was on Google Drive and the link doesn't work any longer. And this forum doesn't allow attachments.

I'll PM you my e-mail.  Send me the attachment, and I'll get it posted.

It is too awesome not to be shown!