Author Topic: Back to the moon  (Read 4638 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Back to the moon
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2022, 05:36:37 AM »
At least we are not the Florida.  :cool:

He was joking.

You are not, so please tell us all that you say is wrong or bad with Florida.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2022, 06:21:47 AM »
People from all over the country are moving there, for some reason. Even Gavin Newsom's inlaws
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »
At least we are not the Florida.  :cool:

More like the California or Chicago of the universe aka anus

To any intelligent life we are one step up from fire ants

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »
Looking forward to 4k footage from the moon. Go NASA!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2022, 09:18:48 AM »
It's really incredible to think of what an astonishing accomplishment the Apollo program was, and how fast it was out together.

I find it completely amazing that they test flew Saturn V two times (unmanned) and the 3rd flight (Apollo 8) was a crewed mission around the moon. That's so bold. Incredible.

The Saturn V flew from 1967 until 1973. 15 Launch capable vehicles were built and 13 were launched with no loss of crew or payload. They sent 24 men to the moon between 1967 and 1972.

The last Saturn V launch was to put Skylab into orbit.

It was a HUGE national effort that employed up to 400,000 people and cost almost 26 billion dollars - 300 billion  adjusted for inflation today.

A lot of new technology came out of the program  and it's still considered a stunning accomplishment. Maybe mankind's greatest technical accomplishment.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2022, 09:32:22 AM »
People from all over the country are moving there, for some reason. Even Gavin Newsom's inlaws

I love Florida.  Our world would be less humorous without it.  It's a well-spring of internet meme's.

https://nypost.com/article/crazy-florida-man-headlines-that-made-the-meme/

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2022, 09:47:51 AM »
I lived there 20 years, can't imAGINE going there between May and September now
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »
I get why a lot of east coasters think of Florida. To get away from the cold. More freedom, less expensive. For me, I could not bare the weather. Completly miserable to me. Also, I found Florida to be flat and ugly.

Arizona is hot as hell (in places) but it's a lot better weather than Florida, it's clean, modern and beautiful. Probably one of the most freedoms of ant state too.

California has the best weather and is very beautiful, but it's expensive and freedoms are stifled. High taxes. It's a one-party state politically and they are mostly soft on crime - to an insane degree in some cases.
Still, California is a very large state - and there are nice places that are affordable out of the big cities. I like the mountain and canyon areas.

I'm looking at Michigan properties. I'm not sure I can handle that cold, but Michigan is beautiful and very affordable. I could get some acreage and a decent house with out buildings at pretty crazy-low prices. Plus I have friends there.

I'm still looking at Arizona. I know Arizona pretty well. I know a lot of small towns that would be just amazing - but those are all pretty expensive now.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »
I get why a lot of east coasters think of Florida. To get away from the cold. More freedom, less expensive. For me, I could not bare the weather. Completly miserable to me. Also, I found Florida to be flat and ugly.

They have some nice beaches. 

I grew up in Houston.  It is as flat, ugly, and hurricane infested as Florida, but not nearly as nice beaches.   :rolleyes:

I'd have some concerns taking up long term residence in AZ.  I think they are facing some severe water crisis over the coming decades that there may be no good solution for. 

They have far exceeded the natural population carrying capacity of the region and life there could get increasingly painful over time.  The only reason some of those large population centers in the desert can exist is by piping in water from other states hundreds of miles away.  As water becomes more scarce for everyone, that vulnerability might lead to painful de-population trends in the future.

What would happen to Phoenix if AZ could no longer pipe water in from other states?  What would be the "natural" population of that state based on local water capacity?

https://www.circleofblue.org/2022/wef/arizonas-future-water-shock/

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2022, 11:00:43 AM »
Well, Arizona doesn't pipe water in from other states, They share the Colorado river water with  Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming,  Nevada, and California through the 1922 The Colorado River Compact .

It's true that Arizona is going to be hurting. Even the wells in some mountain communities are drying up. Water is the number one concern is most western states. That's because of drought.

you can go here to see how much each state gets. California and Colorado get the most water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

Phoenix gets 90 percent of it's water from snow runoff from the mountains.

Arizona's water usage is actually below 1957 levels.

Arizona gets 36% of it's water from the Colorado river, which flows along it's borer and through the north of the state.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:03:51 AM by -gg- »

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2022, 11:27:25 AM »
It's true that Arizona is going to be hurting. Even the wells in some mountain communities are drying up. Water is the number one concern is most western states. That's because of drought.

Texas is beginning to see water insecurity but not as bad as further west.

Part of that is exacerbated by the periodic droughts, but there are also more fundamental factors. 

A lot of Texas relies on it's water from the underground aquifers.  Those took tens of thousands of years to fill during previous ice ages.  They have been drained at an alarming rate over the last 100 years.  At a rate that can't be hoped to be replenished.  Rural wells needing to be drilled deeper and deeper or abandoned are becoming more common in central north Texas.  That will only get worse with continued population growth.

On my land, I decided not to bother with a well.  I use rain water harvesting and cistern storage.  You just need to size your storage to collect enough during the rain season to get you through the dry season.  But I can manage and ration my own water use.  I have control over that.  Drilling into an aquifer is becoming dependent on a shared resource where I can't control how others waste it.  Like pouring it on cantaloups being grown in the desert around San Antonio.   Some day, if big AG is force to pay the true cost of it's water usage it might rethink growing cantaloups in the desert.  And don't get me started on manicured lawns or using purified drinking water to flush our toilets.  :rolleyes:

Before 1900 and the improvements in drilling tech and electrification to run pumps 24/7, rainwater harvesting and cisterns were the norm in vast swaths of rural Texas.

You'd be amazed at how much water comes off a average sized house from a 1" rain shower.  A 2000 sqft house roof will harvest around 1240 gal from a single 1" shower.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »
Yeh, you've got a good plan. I agree on the water waste for AG. AG takes most of the water in Arizona and California.

Arizona and California have a lot of mountains and get a lot of water from snow runoff. I've seen how we can go from water conservation to full water reserves in California in just one year.

Texas has to get it's water from underground or from rain, I'd imagine. Like you said - that underground supply is not unlimited.

In some places in California it's illegal to capture rainwater.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »
I lived there 20 years, can't imAGINE going there between May and September now

Going on 52 years off and on..

Early morning till 11 and many/most early eves from 6 to 8 depending on the rain patterns are most comfortable during the summer months to my 63 year old bones and the wife..nothing more relaxing than watching the hummingbirds and butterflies while listening to the cicadas rolling melody on the screened in back patio..

The best weather in the country is right around the corner for us imo

Beaches, fishing, skiing hunting...if you like outdoors or crowded overpriced amusement parks Florida is hard to beat

119 heat index and humidity you can swim in at 3pm is the other side of that coin this time of year..not the place for an outside job of any kind though I did it for decades 1979 to 2000

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »

Arizona is hot as hell (in places) but it's a lot better weather than Florida, it's clean, modern and beautiful. Probably one of the most freedoms of ant state too.

California has the best weather and is very beautiful, but it's expensive and freedoms are stifled. High taxes. It's a one-party state politically and they are mostly soft on crime - to an insane degree in some cases.
Still, California is a very large state - and there are nice places that are affordable out of the big cities. I like the mountain and canyon areas.

I'm looking at Michigan properties. I'm not sure I can handle that cold, but Michigan is beautiful and very affordable. I could get some acreage and a decent house with out buildings at pretty crazy-low prices. Plus I have friends there.

I'm still looking at Arizona. I know Arizona pretty well. I know a lot of small towns that would be just amazing - but those are all pretty expensive now.

Bear, bear the weather...
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2022, 12:34:35 PM »
Kali may be in for a big surprise someday.

https://www.thethinkingconservative.com/california-drought-past-dry-periods-have-lasted-more-than-200-years-scientists-say/

...Stine, who has spent decades studying tree stumps in Mono Lake, Tenaya Lake, the Walker River and other parts of the Sierra Nevada, said that the past century has been among the wettest of the last 7,000 years...

So the great expansion of population and habitation there happens to coincide with the wettest century in 7000 years. Lucky them, eh?

But....

The longest droughts of the 20th century, what Californians think of as severe, occurred from 1987 to 1992 and from 1928 to 1934. Both, Stine said, are minor compared to the ancient droughts of 850 to 1090 and 1140 to 1320.
[/b]

The opposition to NIMBY desalination plants may decrease.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!