Author Topic: Back to the moon  (Read 4639 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Back to the moon
« on: August 26, 2022, 03:20:30 PM »
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/sending-american-astronauts-to-moon-in-2024-nasa-accepts-challenge/#:~:text=The%20human%20lunar%20lander%20will%20be%20a%20public-private,going%20forward%20to%20the%20Moon%20in%20two%20phases.

The president directed NASA to land American astronauts on the Moon by 2024, and the agency is working to accelerate humanity’s return to the lunar surface by all means necessary.

“We’ve been given an ambitious and exciting goal. History has proven when we’re given a task by the president, along with the resources and the tools, we can deliver,” said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. “We are committed to making this happen. We have the people to achieve it. Now, we just need bipartisan support and the resources to get this done.”

Bridenstine confirmed at the 35th Space Symposium on April 9, 2019, that the agency’s proposed human lunar landing system architecture remains the plan to return crew to the surface as quickly as possible. The human lunar lander will be a public-private partnership working directly with American companies to expedite the return of Astronauts to the Moon’s surface by 2024. The South Pole continues to be the target of our exploration.

In order to best accomplish our goals in the next five years, NASA is now going forward to the Moon in two phases.

“First, we are focused on speed to land the next man, and first woman, on the Moon by 2024. Second, we will establish sustainable missions by 2028. To do that, we need our powerful Space Launch System to put the mass of reusable systems into deep space,” he said.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
Re: Back to the moon
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 03:34:31 PM »
mehh

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 04:12:45 PM »

Are we still doing this?

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:59:05 PM »
Ridiculous waste of taxpayer $.

I’m sure all the homeless will watch on their cable SmartTV.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 10:14:42 PM »
I remember 50 years ago all you'd hear is how we could fly a man to the moon but couldn't feed starving kids HERE
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:03:12 PM by bj229r »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:40:30 PM »
I think it's a good thing. This is different than the Apollo program in that we are attempting to establish a permanent base on the moon. There is a huge potential for resources there. Plus, we need to beat China before they get there.

A lot of good came from the Apollo program. A lot of technology and economic activity.

This is the first time that a program to go to the moon has survived a change of administration in the white house.

I'm excited about this. I think it's fantastic.

Now it is very very expensive. They say 1 billion dollars per launch to the Moon.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 01:55:30 AM »
I don't believe this is a permanent base, more of a stepping stone to Mars.  (learn how to live there)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:18:49 AM »
It would make a great prison...astronaut suits optional

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline spudman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 09:35:36 AM »
I think the best reason for a permanent lunar presence is that the moon is the nearest source of HE3 necessary for nuclear fusion power plants. HE3 is extremely rare on earth. https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/science/physics/helium-3-lunar-gold-fever/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:37:28 AM by spudman »

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 10:05:33 AM »
I don't believe this is a permanent base, more of a stepping stone to Mars.  (learn how to live there)

Coogan

I think what they want to do is have a space station orbiting the moon and a moon base. Yes, I think the idea is for this to be a stepping stone to Mars. But they want to establish a permanent moon presence.

They want to also use the moon as a proving ground for sustainable colonies. I think it's really ambitious and really cool.

The orbiting moon station will be a base point to launch moon exploration missions. They'll be able to cover a wide area, quickly.

They've had plans to go back to the moon at least a few times before, but this is first Presidential moon directive to  survive after an administration change.
GW Bush set a directive to establish a base on the moon. Obama changed that to landing a man on an asteroid, Trump made the directive to land on the moon again and Biden is behind the idea.

Congress passed a NASA authorization act in 2017 and another in 2022. They are keeping the money going for the Artemis program.

So it looks like we really are doing this.

I think it's great.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 10:42:14 AM »
We have already screwed up this planet so let's spend resources getting to another to hose up instead of fixing this excuse for civilization

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
Don't forget that china wants a base on the moon.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 10:45:36 AM »
Yep. China wants a moon base. I think that's one reason why Congress is on board with keeping this going. We do not want China doing it first.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 11:01:25 AM »
Let the Chinese have it.  It's cold as hell and there's no one there to raise your kids.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
But the moon is going to be escaping orbit. :old: