Author Topic: Tesla 500 mile range Semi will cost more than $200,000  (Read 12905 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: Tesla 500 mile range Semi will cost more than $200,000
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2023, 10:12:00 PM »

A comparison of some new trucks already in the market or soon to be released.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »

I’m curious how the government will try to recoup the fuel taxation money they aren’t getting from the fuel that isn’t sold?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2023, 09:44:52 AM »
I’m curious how the government will try to recoup the fuel taxation money they aren’t getting from the fuel that isn’t sold?

Tax them by the miles driven

I believe that will also flow over to normal driving as well

So when does the 1st totally ev semi actually hit the road and then successfully pull a heavily loaded trailer the same distance in the same time as the nasty diesel powered ones on the road today can?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2023, 07:49:20 AM »

That might remove the motivation to chase maximum efficiency.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2023, 05:11:37 AM »
The price of booze and smokes will go through the roof.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2023, 08:21:10 PM »

I'm sorry to offend you with facts Mano  :salute
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:25:02 PM by TryHard »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2023, 10:54:19 PM »
Electric vehicles (EVs) are more efficient than their gasoline-powered counterparts1. An EV electric drive system is only responsible for a 15% to 20% energy loss compared to 64% to 75% for a gasoline engine1.The number of fires per 100,000 sold vehicles is2:
Electric vehicles: 25 fires
Gas-powered cars: 1,530 fires
Hybrid cars: 3,475 fires

there goes his number one complain.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2023, 12:07:25 AM »
Interesting fellow. This thread is about Electric Semis.

He appears to be an auto mechanic. BEV's require almost no maintenance.  He may believe his shop is being threatened by BEV's and that is the reason for his anger. ICE vehicles will be around for a very long time and he will be busy in the foreseeable future. Auto dealers may have less repairs and maintenance to do if they sell less ICE vehicles and be forced to reduce their staff,  but his independent shop is not in danger of going extinct.

The Tesla semi is another technology disruptor. Pepsi is having success with their trucks in Sacramento and Modesto,
California. It will not take Tesla very long to capture market share. The cost to operate is significantly lower than a diesel simi in terms of lower maintenance, lower fuel costs, and ease of handling.
It's 500 mile range fully loaded is adequate for long hauls and for short delivery runs. Tesla will roll out a Mega charging network in a timely fashion exactly as they did for the Supercharger network.

I am not familiar with the electric grid in Australia. I am curious about their coal consumption to generate electricity and the numbers he presents. I hope
he will cite his sources in future videos with a link below in the comment section.

Reducing emissions from vehicles will help the  environment in any country, especially in China, who might be the worlds biggest
polluter and biggest consumer of coal for energy production and it is a serious problem. I visited China before the pandemic. The pollution in every city we visited
was absolutely horrible. A very large percentage of the locals wore a mask when outside. On the bad days it is similar to how L.A. used to be and like Mexico City is today.
BYD and Tesla are leading the BEV race in China.

I see another obstacle that needs to be addressed as mentioned by John Cadogan.  Emissions from electricity generators needs to be reduced. Alternate energy sources need to be created
that are non polluting. On this I agree.

Tesla's EV's are not heavier than ICE vehicles. The Model 3 is actually lighter than the BMW 4 series. The Model Y is not heavier than it's counterparts in the SUV crossover category. He is dead wrong
and misinformed.

The Tesla Semi is heavier than it's diesel counterpart. The Model S and Model X are heavier than their counterparts, but their numbers are pretty low compared to the amount of 3's and Y's that have been produced. John Cadogan may not agree with what is happening and if he had drove a long range model 3 or Y for one year he might have a very different opinion on BEV's. I did not catch
what BEV he drove for one year. I would guess it might be a Nissan Leaf. The Leaf is a local car only and it takes a long time to charge.

I have  made lots of long trips in my Model 3. Charging has never been an issue. Tesla rolled out a charging network really fast. They are on all major highways. You can travel coast to coast or up and down either coast. Charging on average takes about 30 minutes. I only charge to 90 percent. No need to charge to 100 per cent. When you get close to your destination you charge to 60 or 70 per cent and keep going because you can charge when you get there.

The Tesla Semi is still in it's infancy. It has a long way to go. Drivers will be pleased as there is no diesel smell, no engine sound, and acceleration is instant. It also climbs moderate grades like
Donner Pass and Grapevine going 65 mph. There are lots of video on YouTube if you are interested. The Diesel Semi cannot do that.

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2023, 04:18:00 AM »
Hope they find a vehicle that actually reduces emissions some time soon. We do not have any available, except maybe hydrogen, at this time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2023, 07:21:07 AM »
Saw where they are putting sails on ocean crossing container ships now to reduce pollution...noting that the routes may have to be changed so more wind is available...wtf?

Next it will be hooking up a couple of horses to our cars to increase fuel efficiency...

Battery weight will replace cargo in these semis ..less for more

But it's a great boogeyman...the best so far imo

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2023, 08:56:50 AM »
Electric vehicles (EVs) are more efficient than their gasoline-powered counterparts1. An EV electric drive system is only responsible for a 15% to 20% energy loss compared to 64% to 75% for a gasoline engine1.The number of fires per 100,000 sold vehicles is2:

semp

Very nice semp.  What's the efficiency ratio of the powerplant that makes the electricity?

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2023, 10:21:54 AM »

semp

Following this logic, conventional explosives are more deadly than nuclear ones simply because their has been more of them detonated and more people killed by conventional bombs.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2023, 10:23:17 AM »
Flood victims from the hurricane are being told to move their ev out of their garages as salt water causes them to burst into flames...

Next story was about some invention that drills up through the bottom to reduce the 100's of gallons of water to put out a ev fire by drilling directly into the battery compartment and shooting the water directly on them...down to only around 500 gallons...

Can't wait to get stuck on I-4 while one of these burn themselves out...

Eagler

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
If the USA wants to force everyone to drive electric toys, then according to this article nuclear power would be the most efficient

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/nuclear-power-most-reliable-energy-source-and-its-not-even-close

But nuclear dont fit the green greed agenda so its ignored
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2023, 11:18:02 AM »
If the USA wants to force everyone to drive electric toys, then according to this article nuclear power would be the most efficient

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/nuclear-power-most-reliable-energy-source-and-its-not-even-close

But nuclear dont fit the green greed agenda so its ignored

For green fanactics, electricity is the only acceptable form of energy, but all the methods to create it are big no no. If some nuthelmet creates a way to use electricity to create electricity, then all the exstinktion rebellions and greedpeacesers will be happy, not before. Doomsday is coming...    :devil
The Mad   CatMan!