Author Topic: MY NEW TOY TRUCK HAS 869 FT LBS OF TORQUE!  (Read 330 times)

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
MY NEW TOY TRUCK HAS 869 FT LBS OF TORQUE!
« on: September 05, 2022, 06:54:18 PM »
https://imgur.com/uLoyEP9

But only 58 miles of range when I need it as a "truck" and not a mall crawler.
That's ok Tesla will figure it all out, conservation of energy be damned!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: MY NEW TOY TRUCK HAS 869 FT LBS OF TORQUE!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 07:00:04 PM »
That's a great looking truck.

I'm not sure I understand based on that picture. Is that guy saying that the battery gave out and only gave him a range of 58 miles?

I was pretty excited about that truck. It seemed really amazing.

What's the range supposed to be on those while towing a load like that boat?

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:01:40 PM »
My 2022 2500HD Denali has 910 ft lbs torque.
I pulled my 5th wheel RV to New Braunfels and had fuel plenty of fuel.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »
With electric trucks, guess offroading days are over.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 08:25:10 PM »
One of the things I thought that was cool about the Ford truck was the power supply that could be used - even to power a house, didn't they say? A lot of neat features - but if the stupid thing can only go 58 miles, what use is it?

Or maybe there is just an issue with that one truck?

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 09:18:45 PM »
Why isn't hydrogen being considered?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »
Who said it wasn't?

Warning-cut and paste for convenience and accuracy-

Hybrids

Pros: Potential for excellent fuel economy, run on existing gasoline supplies, and drive just like regular cars, requiring no change in lifestyle habits.
Cons: Some hybrids cost much more than similar conventional cars. Some don't live up to the gas mileage buyers may expect, especially considering the extra purchase price. On a mass scale, they are considered too little, too late, but big savings mean we'll see lots more of them.

Plug-in hybrids

Pros: All-electric range can address short commutes for many drivers, home recharging infrastructure is available, gas engine can extend range for long trips, cheaper cost per mile and no vehicle emissions when running in electric mode.
Cons: Big, expensive batteries plus a gas engine drive up prices, daytime recharging could strain electric grid, and they need to be plugged in to deliver any benefit. Gas-mileage benefits are highly dependent on driving habits and frequently overstated.

Battery electric vehicles

Pros: Quiet running, instant torque from electric motor, no emissions from the car, cost per mile is a fraction of that for a gasoline-powered car, widespread electric infrastructure, and electricity can be partially derived from renewable sources.
Cons: Long recharging times, limited range, expensive batteries, electricity production in much of the country uses coal—not a clean-burning source. High-voltage home chargers can be expensive, and public chargers scarce.

Diesel

Pros: Thirty-percent better fuel economy than an equivalent gasoline vehicle, widely available, lower cost premium than for hybrid vehicles, engines deliver lots of torque for a given displacement, and any diesel car can run on a blend of renewable biodiesel fuel. With effort and investment, older diesel engines can be converted to run on pure waste vegetable oil.
Cons: Traditionally more engine noise and vibration. Additional emissions equipement drives up vehicle prices, which along with currently higher cost of diesel fuel takes a big bite out of any savings. Most clean diesels require refills of urea solution. Manufacturers won't warranty biodiesel blends of more than 5 percent biodiesel.

Biodiesel: A promising blend

Pros: Renewable, fairly widely available, and older diesel cars can seamlessly burn biodiesel or diesel. Used vegetable oil can sometimes be free.
Cons: Using vegetable oil requires a costly conversion and a lot of effort. Quality of biodiesel varies widely, so carmakers will only honor warranties up to 5 percent biodiesel. And biodiesel costs more than petroleum diesel. So far, supply issues have prevented biodiesel supply from becoming widespread.

Ethanol

Pros: Reduces demand for foreign oil, low emissions, high octane, and can potentially be produced from waste materials; existing cars can use 10-percent blends (called E10), and more than 8 million cars already on the road can use E85.
Cons: Twenty-five percent lower fuel economy on E85 than gasoline. Less than 1 percent of U.S. gas stations carry E85. Federal fuel economy credits awarded to automakers for E85 cars lower overall fuel economy for all cars. Ethanol made from any food crop can adversely affect food prices. Farm equipment involved in crop production runs on petroleum, limiting the net benefits.

Compressed natural gas

Pros: Costs much less than gasoline, burns much cleaner, and provides comparable power. It is an abundant natural resource in the United States.
Cons: Huge gas tanks reduce trunk space and carry the equivalent of only a few gallons of gasoline. CNG provides limited range, and there are few places for consumers to refuel in most of the country, plus refueling is relatively slow.

Hydrogen fuel cells

Pros: No vehicle emissions other than water vapor. Fuel economy equivalent to about twice that of gasoline vehicles. Hydrogen is abundant, and can be made from renewable energy.
Cons: This space-age technology is expensive. Acceptable range requires extremely-high-pressure, on-board hydrogen storage. Few places to refuel. Hydrogen is very expensive to transport and there is no infrastructure in place yet. Currently hydrogen fuel is made from nonrenewable natural gas in a process that creates enormous CO2 emissions.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/05/pros-and-cons-a-reality-check-on-alternative-fuels/index.htm#:~:text=Hydrogen%20fuel%20cells,space%2Dage%20technology%20is%20expensive.

Offline TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 06:40:18 PM »
One of the things I thought that was cool about the Ford truck was the power supply that could be used - even to power a house, didn't they say? A lot of neat features - but if the stupid thing can only go 58 miles, what use is it?

Or maybe there is just an issue with that one truck?

It has an UNLOADED range of like 300 something miles. The moment you use it to actually do work like you would with a truck that range falls off pretty quick, in this case 300 miles down  to 50 miles with less than 5,000 pounds of trailer. Really makes me skeptical of the Tesla semi working out but maybe I'm wrong.
It only takes some 50 horsepower to get the average truck going 70 mph unloaded with no trailer weigh or aerodynamic drag.

With electric trucks, guess offroading days are over.

This exactly, the ford electric "pickup truck" would actually use more gas than my gas powered pickup truck in the woods getting to my camp/hunting. Plus the size of generator i would need to recharge it after driving for only an hour would be a pain to drag around everywhere I go on my own private land. Deep sand takes a lot of power to get through even at only 10 mph.

Not that anyone cares, most of the public and especially the Florida Wildlife Commission view offroaders as hardened criminals who will be prosecuted to the fullest extent on the law if found comitting horrendous acts such as exploring public land via vehicle. This leaves us offroaders only being able to use private land to practice our hobbies, to the state's chagrin they can't tell anyone what to do on private land and I'm sure the thought of forcing the public into buying vehicles that make this an impossible feat warms their little egotistical hearts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 06:44:30 PM by TryHard »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
If the conservation guys get electric pickups, you can be off the trail in your gas guzzler saying neener neener you cant get me, them knowing their battery will go down to zero trying to follow you  :rofl
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
It has an UNLOADED range of like 300 something miles. The moment you use it to actually do work like you would with a truck that range falls off pretty quick, in this case 300 miles down  to 50 miles with less than 5,000 pounds of trailer. Really makes me skeptical of the Tesla semi working out but maybe I'm wrong.
It only takes some 50 horsepower to get the average truck going 70 mph unloaded with no trailer weigh or aerodynamic drag.

This exactly, the ford electric "pickup truck" would actually use more gas than my gas powered pickup truck in the woods getting to my camp/hunting. Plus the size of generator i would need to recharge it after driving for only an hour would be a pain to drag around everywhere I go on my own private land. Deep sand takes a lot of power to get through even at only 10 mph.

Not that anyone cares, most of the public and especially the Florida Wildlife Commission view offroaders as hardened criminals who will be prosecuted to the fullest extent on the law if found comitting horrendous acts such as exploring public land via vehicle. This leaves us offroaders only being able to use private land to practice our hobbies, to the state's chagrin they can't tell anyone what to do on private land and I'm sure the thought of forcing the public into buying vehicles that make this an impossible feat warms their little egotistical hearts.
used to love mudding at the power lines near Tampa. One day, it was suddenly fenced off, people arrested for trespass
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/