Author Topic: What's Your Carry Book?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
What's Your Carry Book?
« on: September 11, 2022, 02:10:24 AM »
Presently I'm reading the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius as it's slim and easy to carry as EDC. It is rather old but a lot of it is surprisingly applicable to modern life. Real peace of mind as you walk around.

For the Winter I have a copy of The Origins of the Second World War by  A. J. P. Taylor I plan to review. Was required training in school so I'm very speedy and accurate with it and it's got ample stopping power for your average troll. Bit thicker but with Winter clothes I can also carry a copy of Goshawk Squadron by Derek Robinson in my sock for backup. Was a gift from a former AH player and still friend who recently coresponded with the author who was explaining it is based on actual accounts instead of the propaganda struggling to find the nobility in the First World War what with all the mud, lice and mustard gas.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: What's Your Carry Book?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 06:45:58 AM »
At first I couldn't think of a book I would read more than once. But then I remembered one in my book shelf that I've read at least three times so far: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Guess I should read it again, it's way over a decade since I last read it - loud as bedtime stories for my kids!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 06:46:39 AM »
All good material. I seldom carry a book around but should. Reading has been a little harder now with my vision though I've experienced a bit of an uptick with my latest eye injections. I'll go through my library to select some and get back to this thread.  :)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 07:21:38 AM »
Frederick A. Johnsen "Captured Eagles".

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 09:33:33 AM »
My go-to carry books undoubtedly are Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels and Ronald Glasser's 365 Days.  I have them on all of my iPads.  If I'm on the train home and I finish the book-of-the-moment, it's always back to one of those until I download something new.  I never tire of either book.

- oldman

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 09:34:09 AM »
I read the book, "The Body Language of Liars" by Dr Lillian Glass so many times I lost count, then I lost count again.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 09:47:46 AM »
My go-to carry books undoubtedly are Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels and Ronald Glasser's 365 Days.  I have them on all of my iPads.  If I'm on the train home and I finish the book-of-the-moment, it's always back to one of those until I download something new.  I never tire of either book.

- oldman
Michael Shaara has some great stuff

I suppose a book...or SERIES of books, that I could read over and over would be the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. It covers Britain in the span of time where Rome is in decline, birth of King Arthur, etc. The guy is meticulous
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 10:01:26 AM »
I do not have a specific book I carry. Since the Wife and I converted to electronic readers while RVing we have very few "real" books in the house. Both my phone and tablet have kindle of course. I take the tablet almost everywhere and the phone is always on me when heading away from the house. I love Sci Fi and history, mostly based on military activity. The wife loves murder mysteries. Both of us go through multiple books a week.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »
True enough, I can't remember that last actual "book" I read. I've gotten used to reading them on my phone with white text and black background
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 11:03:31 AM »
Was fortunate enough to recover all my pdf books recently,somewhere close to 100 gigs of airplane stuff.

My cc book is encyclopedia of Britannia,vols A to Z.

Offline alkali

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 04:48:13 AM »
In my suitcase at the moment:

Best,
Marc
Friendship
RAF 341 Squadron - Groupe de chasse 3/2 Alsace

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 06:26:38 AM »
I’ve been going over a ‘book’ I bought with the intention to not read it all but re-read certain sections of it over and over. My vehicle Haynes service manual with occasional checking of factory service manual on cd.
Before that was ‘A Bright And Blinding Sun’. a WW II story of survival, love, and redemption.  Got that title from a WW2TV YT video.  Great book!!
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »
Not an everyday carry, but several years ago I bought a three volume set that was published in the early 1900s on how to hand grind lenses and build your own telescope.

I even started buying the things needed. Never actually started.

I forget the name of the book. It was interesting though because it was illustrated with drawings and the whole process of grinding a lens by hand to produce a highly accurate lens is just amazing.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 10:25:36 AM »
The only one you really need as a guide is the Bible.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »
I agree. The Holy Bible.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.