Author Topic: Really old recipes  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Really old recipes
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2022, 01:05:33 AM »
Oh Gawd now were swappin recipes.  :lipsrsealed:
"Now"??? We've been swapping recipies here since the beginning. Agreed, not too often but every now and then a recipe thread pops up.  :old:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 05:26:05 AM »
Yep I remember the great forum recipe swap from many moons ago.  It's copied and pasted on my pc and I've made many great meals from it.  Title is 'The cartoon pilots cookbook.  Food for men by men' LOL
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
I was hoping for some more antiquity, but by my calculations Semp must be about 672-years old, so I'd better type up my Basmati recipe...
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 10:16:40 AM »
I was hoping for some more antiquity, but by my calculations Semp must be about 672-years old, so I'd better type up my Basmati recipe...

you are so close.  my body feels that old, but my birth says 57 and 9/12's.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2022, 02:20:16 PM »
Anil’s Grandmother’s Basmati Rice Method (circa 1912 (A.D.))*

Buy good Basmati rice, no need to rinse or soak.
Find a pan with a nice-fitting lid.

Next put a teaspoon of oil in the pan, I use sesame oil, sunflower, vegetable oil, or olive oil when in a tight spot, but never gearbox.
Heat this up on a medium heat until you can coat the whole bottom of the pan.

Measure your rice in a mug and remember the quantity.
Put the rice in and stlr on a medium heat, keep stirring for a couple of minutes until it all goes shiny. Little bit surface-fried.

Now add water according to the quantity of rice in the following proportion:

Up to the first mug of rice add two mugs of water. Then add 1.5 mugs for additional rice thereafter.

For instance: a single mug would be 2 mugs of water. A mug and a half of rice it would be 2.75 mugs of water. For two mugs of rice it would be 3.5 mugs of water.

Raise the temperature and keep stirring until the water shows evidence of boiling.
Reduce the heat to minimum and give one final stir making sure you do the edges and put the lid on.

Now leave it for 20-25-minutes without lifting the lid (because it's kind of steaming). At the end of this time you can serve your rice directly from the pan. No rinsing, filtering etc. Looking inside the finished pan you can see traces of where the steam has tended to vent. You can see those forming with a glass lid.

There will be a thin layer of rice gently stuck to the pan which can be a bit crispy. Just lightly scrape the soft rice off this layer and leave it behind. Before you eat just add some plain water to the (mostly) empty pan. After your meal you can scrape the leftover rice off with your fingertips and clean the pan normally.

A note on storing rice: uncooked rice can have nasty spores on it which can cause food-poisoning. Bacillus cereus maybe? Anyway you might get spontaneous ejection of fuel and ordinance from both ends. If you have leftover rice, wang it in the fridge within, say, half an hour of cooking. Do NOT let it cool to room temperature first as that is commodious to bacterial growth. Going abruptly from hot to cold stops this.

Some folk frezze rice. Some Japanese friends claim it tastes better but it's so easy to do this way ^ I never bother.  :banana:

*nrshida lightweight Industries is not responsible for any food poinsoning, unhappiness or loss of fingers when using this recipe. Do so at your own risk.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2022, 06:24:17 PM »
a foolproof way to cook perfect brown rice every time.

no need to measure anything. Just bring enough water to a boil to cover the rice a few inches.
Boil for 30 minutes with the lid off
After 30 mins, strain rice - as you would pasta
return rice to the pot with NO heat and put the lid on. Time for 10 minutes.
Presto! Perfect brown rice

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2022, 06:26:56 PM »
one other quick tip.

Perfect hard boiled eggs, every time.

Place eggs in a pot of cold water. Bring to boil with no lid
As soon as the water boils, take it off the heat and place the lid on for 10 minutes.
Bam!
Perfect every time

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2022, 07:35:23 PM »
one other quick tip.

Perfect hard boiled eggs, every time.

Place eggs in a pot of cold water. Bring to boil with no lid
As soon as the water boils, take it off the heat and place the lid on for 10 minutes.
Bam!
Perfect every time

If you drop room temperature eggs into a boiling pot and then follow your instructions, then shock them with cold water, the shell will peel very easily.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »
I make hard boiled eggs in an Insta-Pot.

5 minute cook time with one cup of water.

5 minute slow release, then full release.

5 minute ice bath.

Perfect eggs every time and the shells peel easily.

You're welcome.   :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2022, 08:07:13 PM »

Townsend's stuff is often interesting:
https://youtu.be/yX7jCgokcUY

Or older perhaps some Black Broth?
https://youtu.be/oqQzWg9pXmg
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2022, 09:05:23 PM »
you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. if rice doesn't have onions, tomatoes and garlic  I'm not making it. would rather have rice a roni. my grandma always told me, that rice recipe you guys described is for lazy people  :furious

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »

If you have leftover rice, wang it in the fridge within, say, half an hour of cooking. Do NOT let it cool to room temperature first as that is commodious to bacterial growth. Going abruptly from hot to cold stops this.

I do that all the time making my sushi rice.  Never had a problem.

You don't make sushi with hot rice.  You cool it to room temp.  Fanning it in a hangiri.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:53 AM »
I do that all the time making my sushi rice.  Never had a problem.

You don't make sushi with hot rice.  You cool it to room temp.  Fanning it in a hangiri.

Usually the Japanese restaurants use a vinegar solution to change the pH value which blocks spore-growth  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 11:34:49 AM »
Usually the Japanese restaurants use a vinegar solution to change the pH value which blocks spore-growth  :old:

True.  I do season with sushi vinegar. Of course it also has sugar in it.  I guess the vinegar wins out. 

I wouldn't leave it out over night.  It is recommended that you only make as much as you can use in 4 hours or so.

It might work like sauerkraut.  Bacteria might grow on it, but it is the beneficial bacteria that like high acidic environment (Lactobacillus, etc.) and it crowds out the nasty stuff and keeps it from reproducing.

I love my homemade sauerkraut as much as my homemade sushi.  Hmmm.  Homemade kimchi too.  I use a jar with an air lock and it is fool proof.  Never had to toss a batch.
Like these: https://organicgrace.com/catalog/pickl-it-kits

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
True.  I do season with sushi vinegar. Of course it also has sugar in it.  I guess the vinegar wins out. 

Yeah it's then too acidic for this specific one to grow. They must have found this by trial and error and a lot of ejected ordinance  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-