Author Topic: Really old recipes  (Read 2249 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Really old recipes
« on: September 12, 2022, 11:52:39 AM »
I like to eat, which basically means I like to cook since we neither have butler nor cook. One of my first ambitious recipes was for an Indian Curry taught to me by a medical student friend. His method for cooking Basmatti Rice was taught him by his grandmother who would have been born around the turn of the century.

I'm after a really old-fashioned pasta sauce recipe, made only from raw ingredients and preferably tasty / spicy. I'd rather get a recipe handed down by a real person that trawl through bucket's full of clickbait in YouTube. Here's my proposition:

If someone is willing to share an old family recipe for pasta sauce, I'll write up my Basmati rice method and everyone gets to share in the exchange.  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Really old recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
I usually wing the pasta sauce
Tomato paste, canned diced smoked roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, cyenne pepper.
I made mine with ground beef and sauteed mushrooms.
The stuff is so good I eat it by itself sometimes.
I like a little spice but not burning.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 12:28:26 PM »
Wife makes a great pasta sauce,usually reserved for her lasgona but she won’t part with the recipe,sorry.

She might part with her cabbage roll recipe if I ask nicely. She’s Russian/pol and Uke I just call her a puke,goes over great at family get togethers.

:devil

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 12:36:12 PM »
I meant to say crushed tomatoes not diced.

Like a cup of olive o.il

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 01:00:54 PM »
I usually wing the pasta sauce
Tomato paste, canned diced smoked roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, cyenne pepper.
I made mine with ground beef and sauteed mushrooms.
The stuff is so good I eat it by itself sometimes.
I like a little spice but not burning.

basically my recepie. except instead of beef I have hot Italian sausage. no olive oil.  and use about a cup of chicken stock.

I add Cummins and pepper, basil and just a little bit of sugar. don't forget bell peppers, I normally buy the bag of them with different colors. almost forgot finely chopped cilantro and oregano. simmer for 3 or 4 hours. till you can't stand it no more.

I make a big pot then freeze it in one serving bags. really good on everything. spaghetti, lasagna, eggs, sandwiches whatever...

frozen is not as good but good enough.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 01:21:40 PM »
Oh Gawd now were swappin recipes.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 01:30:22 PM »
Carbonara is the best pasta sauce.  Plenty of recipes out there but make sure there's no cream in it.  I use Rachael Ray's recipe which may not be 100% authentic but at least it doesn't have cream in it.  The time is off for the browning of the pancetta, just make sure it is browned takes longer than 2 minutes. I have the recipe printed out but found a version online.

https://www.food.com/recipe/carbonara-rachael-ray-203354

Next best sauce is puttanesca(potato's sauce).  I use emeril's recipe for that and you can add other ingredients if you like being in the spirit of the sauce, I like to add artichoke hearts.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/puttanesca-sauce-3645226

Also can't forget pesto, that's possibly tied for second place.  It can only be made in summer though when you have fresh good garlic and basil.  Just had leftovers of it for lunch today, my dentist is going to love me at my appointment this afternoon.  I have that recipe in a book at home I can look it up if you're interested but pesto is pretty basic anyhow.

Like to have the carbonara and pesto with farfalle and ziti or penne with the puttanesca but that's just personal opinion.

Regular tomato sauce from scratch is good but there are so many better pasta sauces out there.    :cheers:

“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 01:37:35 PM »
It doesn't take long to make fresh pasta sauce, and it's worth doing it

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
Just had leftovers of it for lunch today, my dentist is going to love me at my appointment this afternoon.

:rofl :aok

simmer for 3 or 4 hours. till you can't stand it no more.

Crikey, I can make a whole Balti in that time!

Oh Gawd now were swappin recipes.  :lipsrsealed:

Don't be such a cultural village Turt, you like eatin' don't ya?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 02:04:28 PM »
You don't need to simner pasta sauce more than 10 minutes.
It will have more flavor by itself after it sits a day on the fridge, but it's great right out of the pan

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 02:04:55 PM »
:rofl :aok

Crikey, I can make a whole Balti in that time!

Don't be such a cultural village Turt, you like eatin' don't ya?

I'm allergic to tomatoes so simmering for hours for some reason don't make me itch so much.  and I like my sauce thick. think it's better that way.

semp

edit: my stomach is Italian so it demands sauce to be simmering for hours to properly allow all spices to release their goodness properly.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:09:17 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 05:12:37 PM »
I like a good pasta sauce. this is my go-to.

Heat up a frying pan with olive oil and add diced onions until soft. toss in some diced garlic and chili flakes, let cook for about a minute while stirring then dump in a can of crushed tomatoes. I use unsalted then add salt as needed. With the salt I'll add a bit of sugar, basil, more chili flakes, tasting along the way to adjust as needed. From there I'll mix it up depending on what I'm feeling. Possibly throw in some roasted red peppers (I remove the skin and rough chop), maybe spinach right at the end (just long enough for them to wilt, any longer gives the sauce an earthy taste I don't like), sometimes some pomegranate vinegar to give it a tang. Just experiment a little. If it gets too thick for your liking add a bit of pasta water to thin it out.

As mentioned if you want full flavour make the sauce the day before and leave in the fridge overnight. Then heat back up on the stove before serving. The day in the fridge makes it a whole different sauce. I'll usually make enough for that night and the next for that reason.

A lemon caper sauce is also a favourite. It's super easy and great for chicken and pasta dishes. Actually had it last night. Threw some chicken thighs on the bbq with salt and pepper until just done, then tossed them in the sauce and served on rotini (also tossed in the sauce). So good.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 08:01:43 PM »
My go to pasta sauce

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 10:52:33 PM »
Gooey buns, hard boiled eggs, chopped, ham (chopped/cut up) american cheese or velveeta cheese, a bit of mustard and some mayo to moisten.

Glob some onto a hamburger bun, wrap in foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

The stuff of Legends.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 11:36:34 PM »
There is a series that goes through ancient recipes.  I think it is very interesting.

"Tasting History", by Max Miller

An example: