Author Topic: Really old recipes  (Read 2248 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Really old recipes
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
Yeah it's then too acidic for this specific one to grow. They must have found this by trial and error and a lot of ejected ordinance  :old:

The original historical sushi was a fermented product like sauerkraut.  Alternating layers salted rice and salted fish packed into barrels for months as a food preservation (like you would make salted pork). 

Later sushi used vinegar to simulate the taste they had become accustomed to without actually taking the time to ferment for months.  Like cheap store bought sauerkraut is usually not really fermented, just cabbage pickled in vinegar.

Truly fermented foods (rather than just pickling) are a magic health elixir.  Builds incredible gut biome.  Humans now don't get nearly as much fermented food as our ancestors ate.

Might have to try making historical sushi someday when I'm brave enough. ;)  I was  scared I'd poison myself first time I made sauerkraut but have never run into a problem.  You'll know when there is a problem.  Anaerobic bacteria have a whole different look and smell.  Trust your nose.  Millions of years went into that R&D.  ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2022, 12:47:56 PM »
Might have to try making historical sushi someday when I'm brave enough. ;)

You go first bud and if you survive share the recipe!  :rofl :banana:

Have you ever seen how Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is made? They start with some really dead fish...
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »

I'll put some in a box and mail it to ya snail mail.  In summer.  ;)

Have you ever seen how Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is made? They start with some really dead fish...

Roman's loved Garum as a condiment.  Basically rotten anchovies juice.  Guts and all.  They say it smells horrible, but tastes great.  I guess like certain French cheeses.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 01:15:24 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »

Yes and it is fermented for quite some time. Good stuff. On the other hand, I do not care for sushi.

I have a nice batch of cooked rice sitting in the fridge. Will be part of my shrimp and fried rice tonight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:50 PM »
I'll put some in a box and mail it to ya snail mail.  In summer.  ;)

:rock

Roman's loved Garum as a condiment.  Basically rotten anchovies juice.  Guts and all.  They say it smells horrible, but tastes great.  I guess like certain French cheeses.

I expect the flora and fauna we carry around with us has changed along with our food  :O

I have a nice batch of cooked rice sitting in the fridge. Will be part of my shrimp and fried rice tonight.

How do you stop the shrimp from eating all the rice?  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234