Author Topic: Perk the manned gun kills  (Read 4172 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Perk the manned gun kills
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2022, 12:49:51 PM »
It's actually large maps like BowlMA right now which will stay up for the next 5 days that are killing off the players. No wants to look at huge map with flashing bases and no dar bars. Majority don't even know where to go to find action. You fly 5 minutes to a field only to insta die by ack trying to get somethint going. No one rolls to fight you and you get bored and log. The only players left are strategy players who could give a F less about a fun fight. Just gang with your boys 4 on 1 the single lonely guy who wants to fight and go back to playing with yourselves. You think most will stick around long for that? At least with a smaller map there are areas where fight gets bigger due to choke points and players knowing where the battles are. People want big battles.

I'm glad you are all proud of running off the dog fighters and people who want to play for air combat action. Congratulations! Now we are left with the 40 players who fly B26s at 90k to bomb towns or sit in wirbles shooting towns and watching grass grow. The game would have been much more populated if it was geared toward fighter combat action instead of tanks and large maps that are bare during off hours.

I agree that the large maps dont help, but chasing away mission runners/base takers and GVers is not the answer. HTC started the "Pacific:online" on steam as just A2A and it NEVER took off. Strait A2A is not going to work.

If there are more players running missions the A2A guys can attack those missions and BANG they have fights. The same goes for GVers. Defenders come out to stop the GV attack by dropping bombs and the A2A guys show up to take out the dive bombers and BANG A2A guys have fights.

In the old days, when we had decent numbers that is how it happened and it worked well for everyone. Bombers got to bomb, GVers got to fight GVs and attach bases, dive bombers got to tower out GVs, and FIGHTERS GOT TO FIGHT! Everyone was happy. Chasing away any of those groups is what killed the game.

GV dar was a great idea for the new guys to find fights, but on the other hand the GVers found that it almost pin pointed their locations and along with the trees they left.

Changing the icons for the planes from a dot to plane shapes IDing fighter or buff while making things better for the new guys to find fights it killed the "fog of war" of for many and we lost another group of players. Not to mention it defining what kind of mission vs fighter sweep that was coming in added to more players leaving.

Add to it nothing being done to bring new players back in and we are now where we are.

As for the manned guns, stop going near the fields and they wont be manned any more. There are not ANY fights near the bases, there is only vulching or picking of slow moving aircraft as they are trying to get up. You want a fight? Stay away from the field, give the uppers some time and space to get going and then attack and have a fight. No need for anyone to be in a gun as there will be nobody to shoot at. If you NEED the kills so bad to chase someone into the ack, well, good luck.

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2022, 09:51:33 PM »
I think the original post here was to discuss scoring and functions of a manned gun, not to remove it.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2022, 08:16:02 AM »
I agree that the large maps dont help, but chasing away mission runners/base takers and GVers is not the answer. HTC started the "Pacific:online" on steam as just A2A and it NEVER took off. Strait A2A is not going to work.

If there are more players running missions the A2A guys can attack those missions and BANG they have fights. The same goes for GVers. Defenders come out to stop the GV attack by dropping bombs and the A2A guys show up to take out the dive bombers and BANG A2A guys have fights.

In the old days, when we had decent numbers that is how it happened and it worked well for everyone. Bombers got to bomb, GVers got to fight GVs and attach bases, dive bombers got to tower out GVs, and FIGHTERS GOT TO FIGHT! Everyone was happy. Chasing away any of those groups is what killed the game.

GV dar was a great idea for the new guys to find fights, but on the other hand the GVers found that it almost pin pointed their locations and along with the trees they left.

Changing the icons for the planes from a dot to plane shapes IDing fighter or buff while making things better for the new guys to find fights it killed the "fog of war" of for many and we lost another group of players. Not to mention it defining what kind of mission vs fighter sweep that was coming in added to more players leaving.

Add to it nothing being done to bring new players back in and we are now where we are.

As for the manned guns, stop going near the fields and they wont be manned any more. There are not ANY fights near the bases, there is only vulching or picking of slow moving aircraft as they are trying to get up. You want a fight? Stay away from the field, give the uppers some time and space to get going and then attack and have a fight. No need for anyone to be in a gun as there will be nobody to shoot at. If you NEED the kills so bad to chase someone into the ack, well, good luck.

I don't think anyone wants to chase them away, but we've chased away the fighter crowd and they made up the bulk of the #s in the past. While there is that other game. It's not the same, and isn't the same flight model. It's a good one for the younger crowd to get into air combat. IMO the target market isn't really for AH players. People who played AH still like the overall war concept, it's just that big battles for bases was where the enjoyment was for most. I'd say that manned guns are more detrimental to the base taker crowd as they are the ones trying to destroy objects on the field.

My idea of the GV dar was just to have it as 2 more bars under the fighter bars. So it shows that tanks are in the sector, but doesn't show them where they are.

My idea of the fighter radar was simply to make the radar towers harder to destroy like needing 5000 pounds to take it down. Radar was always such an easy target that it was the first thing every side destroyed when they attacked a base. This made it seem like no action was happening to new players. I don't particularly like the dar now where if you are outside of the dar ring and an enemy is near by, everyone on the map sees you. It makes it so people can be-line it to you and gang you. It also does make it harder to sneak up on people. I thought the more simple solution was just to increase the damage of the radar to make it harder to destroy.

I still think removing these large maps for right now would be the single largest impact at retaining players in the game currently. It would keep players in the game longer, thus making the fights bigger. Right now, i just log in, see small dars scattered with 29k B17s and just log right out because there isn't any combat for me or paths to action. Generally when one team is attacking now, the other team just let's them have it with it. The far back fields don't help for defense at all.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:19:47 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2022, 09:01:03 AM »
r.

Forgive me if your opinion is taken with a grain of salt

You don't play the game..

I don't play the game the way you want me to

I have played enough to know these people's habits. And I really don't care if you take what I say with anything at all. Sometimes the truth hurts no matter who is saying it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 09:03:15 AM by RichardDarkwood »
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2022, 01:08:07 PM »
I see airstarts and 4 field terrains coming. 

The loud vocal minority got what they wanted but at the price of not having anybody to battle.