Author Topic: Coal ash  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Coal ash
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 06:58:05 AM »
In other news:

https://eurasiantimes.com/mitsubishi-aims-to-commercialize-reactor-on-a-truck-by-2030s/#:~:text=Japan%E2%80%99s%20Mitsubishi%20Heavy%20Industries%20intends%20to%20build%20and,meters%20wide%2C%20will%20weigh%20less%20than%2040%20tons.

Small, portable, truck mounted mini-nuclear reactors are coming. Relatively cheap, designed with safety in mind and great for a decentralized grid. These things would get the world over the hump during the next 100 years until solar might actually become a viable alternative. Or maybe until a wave action generator becomes capable of producing huge amounts of power..
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 09:20:04 AM »
Yes I know all of that. It's in the article that I posted. That they started phasing it out in 2002. What is your point?

My point is that they got rid of all their nuclear power and now they are reliant on renewable energy that's not ready. And Russia cut off their gas. Kind of in a tough situation right?

And France was dealing with shutting their nuclear power stations down because they were decrepit and needed maintenance and were having problems. They don't last forever you know.

the link also says that Germany electricity security won't be affected.  it also says that France is planning to build more nuclear plants.

you make misleading posts or perhaps don't read your own links.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 09:56:55 AM »
Germany imports about 70% of its energy source in oil and natural gas. They use coal as well. Nuclear energy used to be about 12% of their power source, so yeah shutting those down does affect something doesn't it?
So now that Russia has cut Germany off, it follows that they are sort of in a bad situation right?
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »
Germany and Canada just signed an agreement. Canada will supply hydrogen to Germany, Canada has the resources to make and supply hydrogen and it won’t affect our grid,in fact it will use some of the surplus electricity that we now give away and ultra transmission lines are being installed to make it easier for Canada to give electricity at reduced or no cost to the recipient.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
Germany imports about 70% of its energy source in oil and natural gas. They use coal as well. Nuclear energy used to be about 12% of their power source, so yeah shutting those down does affect something doesn't it?
So now that Russia has cut Germany off, it follows that they are sort of in a bad situation right?

well the could use their reserves and buy more from Norway or the Netherlands.

countries do make plans and if they thought they were in trouble they wouldn't have taken down the nuclear plants.  they would have waited.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2022, 11:02:31 AM »
In 2002, when the decided to shut down the reactors, they assumed they could get all the coal and gas they needed from Russia. Guess they were wrong.

Germany does use coal but most of their energy is from inported oil and gas now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2022, 11:20:38 AM »
In 2002, when the decided to shut down the reactors, they assumed they could get all the coal and gas they needed from Russia. Guess they were wrong.

Germany does use coal but most of their energy is from inported oil and gas now.

once again the could buy more from Norway and Netherlands  and at the same time use their reserves.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2022, 11:31:58 AM »
The government had taken precautionary measures against such a crisis early on such as racing to full gas storage facilities and to build liquid natural gas terminals, Scholz said at town hall event in Essen

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2022, 11:37:56 AM »
LOL. They're going to be rationing power and heat

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2022, 11:41:38 AM »
The point of posting about coal ash is to bring attention the detriments of burning coal for energy (as if there weren't enough)

So if we STOP burning coal, what are the alternatives, and how do those alternatives affect the world and our standing in it?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »
LOL. They're going to be rationing power and heat

and 2 weeks ago, you were complaining about the power grid around here. and we conserved electricity and we are good now. even the evs were out on the road.

see you sometimes laugh about how this or that is just bs. then post about how everybody in Germany is going to freeze. don't you think if Germany thought it would be a problem they would reactivate the nuclear power plants.  they only shut down a few months ago.

semp

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
The 95 percent mark has repeatedly been cited to equal total national consumption in January and February of this year. That is, if on the stroke of New Year 2023 all gas import in addition to the Russian deliveries was cut - from Norway, the Netherlands, and LNG via the Netherlands, Belgium, France and the two German floating terminals planned to commence operations around that date - and there was no reduction in use over last winter, we'd run out two months later.

That's not going to happen of course, and indeed the projections of the Federal Grid Agency for storage buildup with reduced input from Nord Stream 1 are so far turning out to be slightly pessimistic. Per simulations, with delivery cut to 40 percent from June we should have barely made the 85 percent capacity mark at the planned 1 October date even with the otherwise most favorable assumptions; if cut to 20, we should have just missed even that.

In reality, supply was 40 percent for two thirds of July with a scheduled ten-day downtime for maintenance in between, dropped to 20 at the end of the month, and zero at the end of August. Yet here we are on track to reach the ultimate 95 percent target four weeks early. So the combination of alternate supply and savings has definitely exceeded expectations.

But again, while most likely no one's gonna freeze or stop producing for lack of gas, energy prices can be expected to remain problematic for at least the next six months. Though the latest word is that the government will buy a majority stake in troubled mega-provider Uniper to save it; that would put paid to the planned extra levy for customers as the constitution forbids to help out state-owned enterprises with such. This would remove some additional strain (about plus 18 percent for a typical private household with pre-existing gas contract) everyone was staring at for next month.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:12 PM »
and 2 weeks ago, you were complaining about the power grid around here. and we conserved electricity and we are good now. even the evs were out on the road.

see you sometimes laugh about how this or that is just bs. then post about how everybody in Germany is going to freeze. don't you think if Germany thought it would be a problem they would reactivate the nuclear power plants.  they only shut down a few months ago.

semp

Germans have been known to be brilliant and also make incredibly moronic blunders, no?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2022, 10:10:13 PM »
Germans have been known to be brilliant and also make incredibly moronic blunders, no?

that applies to every country.

semp