Author Topic: How many do you have to kill?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: How many do you have to kill?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 06:14:37 AM »
RotBaron sorry about your brother. I know it's hard.

but if we go back to hanging like we did 100 years ago what kind of society do you want? I know we don't have a perfect criminal system, but sometimes damn, it's out of control, some guilty go free and innocent spend decades on death row only to be told sorry we made A mistake.

I know a person that went to jail because he didn't answer his phone and was released with no charges.

semp

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Beyond a reasonable doubt is the highest level of certainty and that burden of proof rests solely on the prosecution. It is often explained to juries, that few (if any) things in this world can be proven without doubt. Prosecutors usually will go to great lengths to make sure the jury understands this especially when the defense attorney(s) have spoken about burden of proof. 

The prosecution usually has to fight tooth and nail during admission of evidence (what the judge decides here can significantly effect the verdict).

Getting witnesses to cooperate (appear/speak truthFULLY)is often another huge hurdle for the prosecution.

There are also other obstacles, like jury deliberation instructions. This justice system(laws) forces the prosecution to have so many hurdles so as to prevent innocent from being convicted. Imo, they get it right 99.9% of the time in murder trials, less so with lesser charges and lower burden of proof.

No, it’s not a perfect system, but there isn’t a better one in the world. The stringent burden(s) are to prevent innocent being found guilty at the sake of 10’s of thousands guilty going free.

Since having to sit through 4 murder trial for two vile tweakers, I’ve always felt everyone should sit in on a couple days of pre-trial/evidentiary hearings and a couple days of witness testimony, most people would be in absolute awe, especially when the judges orders the jury recessed for unexpected events.

The show Law & Order did a great job on the humanistic side of things for the victims, but court room scenes are just too simplified and abbreviated.

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 06:18:45 AM »
I see nothing barbaric about a public hanging and feel it used to be quite a deterrent to see the gallows. It’s considerably more humane than what many middle eastern countries still do.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 06:49:19 AM »
Every day I'm in a jail or prison somewhere. It ain't no Olive Garden, but it's good enough, I eat it now and again
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
All for bringing back Cool Hand Luke work gangs again

Get the creeps out of their air conditioning and cable tv rooms and put their criminal rear ends to work.

Mirrored sunglasses, shotguns and dogs..all of it

It has become too comfortable for many .. get some work out of them for the taxpayers free room and board

I also believe in karma and reincarnation...

This boy is in for a ton of pain as it comes back to him in reverse form...we don't ever get away with anything negative just as we are always rewarded for positive good works eventually imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2022, 09:24:47 AM »
I don't know if lawyers ask potential jurors about capital punishment during Voir dire; but if they do not, the odds of finding 12 people that agree on the death penalty are small.

Having served on a potential death penalty jury in the last year (TX vs Auld) I can tell you that in TX and AZ they DO tell prospective jurors that it is a potential death penalty and the prosecutor does use a strike on a juror that says they could not or would not consider delivering that decision. In the trial last year the jury came back with a guilty verdict in less than 3 hours of deliberation. As a result, the defense atty decided that because of the quick decision they would rather have the judge decide penalty vs the obviously convinced of guilt jury.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2022, 04:54:33 PM »
My personal opinion is the parkland shooter should be put down. Given the system we have in place that means year upon years of expensive to tax payer appeals before the sentence is executed. That also allows the appeals to end up reducing the time in prison depending on judges who are also "liberal activists". Why this guy got life without parole, I do not know. I assume since the families are upset that there was a death penalty option but do not know the instructions given to the jurors.

For me, I have found that true evil does exist in this world and the only way to conclusively protect the society from an identified evil person such as this shooter is to remove him from existence. There is a 100% chance that he will not re-offend or endanger anyone in that case. Every other sentence option cannot maintain the same claim. When in custody, escape is always a possibility, as is sentence reduction / parole / pardon even for life without parole. Governors and presidents do stupid things at times at the end of their term.
I'm with Mav. Good post and you coming from a law enforcement background, your post makes sense to me.