Author Topic: "comfort" shows and rambling on about a death in the family.  (Read 279 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
"comfort" shows and rambling on about a death in the family.
« on: October 23, 2022, 11:12:53 PM »
That's what I call the old TV shows I watch when I get a chance. I used to catch them on MeTV. Shows like Land of The Giants, Perry Mason, The Office, Twilight Zone, etc.

I find comfort in watching these for a bit after I go to bed.

My dad died last Sunday. I was with him and it was pretty traumatic for me. Something I will never get out of my mind, but I'm doing okay. I feel tired and I'm going to bed in a moment. I have to work tomorrow for the first time in about 3 weeks. When I go in I'm giving my two week notice. My heart is not into much right now.

Anyway. I feel relaxed right now. Going to be and I hope The Office is on. That show makes me feel good and gives me a few good laughs. The past three weeks have been so foggy.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: "comfort" shows and rambling on about a death in the family.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 11:35:25 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your father, -gg-.  That's gotta be tough.  I hope when the pain and numbness of loss fade you will be left with all the warm memories of your Dad.

My go-to old comfort show is The Andy Griffith Show (the old B&W ones with Barney Fife).   I like the gentle way they poke fun at small town life in the 60s.   Pretty much my upbringing.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 06:45:32 AM »
Thank you, Oboe :)

The Andy Griffith Show is another for me as well.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 07:10:19 AM »
Sorry to hear about your father

:salute

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 07:30:41 AM »
Thank you.

It hit me pretty hard. I've never experienced the death of someone close to me before.

He went into the hospital on Friday,  Sep 30th, went home a week and a half later and died four days after that. I was seeing him every single day and basically took off work since then.

This morning I'm going into work to resign. I will not just quit without giving a two week notice, but I'm going to ask them to let me go immediately if they can. This job is only a year and a half old and I make pretty good money. Money never mattered to me very much.

My heart is not even capable of thinking about going to work right now.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 07:37:51 AM »
-gg-, Many companies offer some type of bereavement leave of absence after a death in the family.  Even if its only an additional week it may help you feel a little bit better by the end.   And afterward, you won't face the added stress of unemployment and a job search while you grieve.  Just something to think about. <S>