Author Topic: New Map 3points  (Read 1030 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
New Map 3points
« on: November 07, 2022, 09:40:06 AM »
3points map ver. 0.05. Feedback and suggestions??

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: New Map 3points
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:04:16 AM »
V41, a33 and a92 better off as ports?  I feel as if those bases close to strats are pushed back right at the beginning of the map, there are going to be too far to fly for secondary points of action on the map.  Therefore the only real fight without a long flight will be those island bases initially.   Maybe having some extra boats to help bridge those gaps would be helpful.  We have a map in rotation currently that has some real dead zones between landmasses that are 2+ sectors apart.

Just a quick thought after a glance.  You've got to think those enemy bases near the strats will be pushed back right away, leaving one real area of combat without a 2 sector flight.  I suppose it depends on what time of day the map gets put up.

Then again, those islands might just funnel the action.. who knows...

I'll leave the logical thinking to the generals.  :D

Thanks for taking the time to do these, they are great and add a fresh breath of air into the little bit of time I get to fly.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:06:21 AM by Lazerr »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 03:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Lazerr, I'll review those bases again and thank you for the kind words.  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 06:25:34 PM »
I'm also concerned about the flight distances across the water.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 04:43:50 AM »
I'm also concerned about the flight distances across the water.
How so?  At first, any way, the distances would favor Heavies and Bombers? Fuel limits would be a Major Factor in limiting the 'UBER/TRAINERS', La-7,Spitfires/Yaks and so on. I think this map would be interesting, to see how the Fight works out? All sides have Foot Holds on Enemy Sides. Looks like a Hell of a fight, from the start? "Across the water" and its issues, just might make those 'Foot Hold' bases....EPIC FIGHTS? :rock
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 04:58:43 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 03:17:14 PM »
How so?  At first, any way, the distances would favor Heavies and Bombers? Fuel limits would be a Major Factor in limiting the 'UBER/TRAINERS', La-7,Spitfires/Yaks and so on. I think this map would be interesting, to see how the Fight works out? All sides have Foot Holds on Enemy Sides. Looks like a Hell of a fight, from the start? "Across the water" and its issues, just might make those 'Foot Hold' bases....EPIC FIGHTS? :rock

"Favors the heavies and bombers"? Why does that matter? If those pilots want to fly 3 sectors to get somewhere then they should up in the backfield. Don't restrict the the players who want a quick fight in favor the "players" looking to avoid combat by flying over it. That's stupid. This is a game, some people actually want to have fun when playing it.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 08:01:52 PM »
Never know till you try it, might not play as you think.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 08:39:52 PM »
Never know till you try it, might not play as you think.

But's it's more likely to play just as stale as all the other maps where it's easy to push to a place where distances between airfields is more than 25 miles. Sure each country has a small foothold on an enemy's continent, but it's only three air bases and then the next closest is 75 miles away.

This map seems to have all the makings of a mini Trinity for all the wrong reasons.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »
Jimmy, I can tell that you like the idea of using the upper Great Lakes, so I think the solution would be to make your map 1/2 scale. Your current design is 250x250 miles, but if you can take 500x500 in reality and scale it down to fit a 10 sector map that would shrink the distances across the waterways to 30-40 miles in most places. Still a long ways, but still doable for any fighter.

Here's a couple of images to illustrate. In both cases the center is Mackinaw City, where I think your map is also centered.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 10:59:39 PM »
Jimmy, I can tell that you like the idea of using the upper Great Lakes, so I think the solution would be to make your map 1/2 scale. Your current design is 250x250 miles, but if you can take 500x500 in reality and scale it down to fit a 10 sector map that would shrink the distances across the waterways to 30-40 miles in most places. Still a long ways, but still doable for any fighter.

Here's a couple of images to illustrate. In both cases the center is Mackinaw City, where I think your map is also centered.

Thanks Devil505, I'll re-scale it and see what it does for the distances. I try to use real world locations for my maps, it seems to me the terrains are more realistic. With that there are some compromises to allow full access for aircraft, naval, and ground equipment.  :salute

Just posted the latest update, v 0.06
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 11:02:37 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 11:03:29 PM »
3points v 0.06, updated with some suggested changes.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »
3points v 0.06, updated with some suggested changes.

(Image removed from quote.)

I think those port additions will help bolster the action in those areas and allow more possibilities to grab a foothold over the water.  I hope we get the chance to scatter plane parts on on this map in the MA!  Maybe with cooler weather coming more folks will log in to enjoy these new maps. 

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
Love the port additions, look forward to some CV raids and battles.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 01:07:19 PM »
FYI map is available on the online if anyone wishes to look at it. As updates are done I upload the new map. Still lots of work left to do, have to check each base for terrain issues, spawn issues, aircraft and naval issues.

Have been trying to accommodate suggested changes where possible. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 02:04:51 PM »
After looking at this again, the naval action on this map could be intense as well. With high odds that all 3 countries cv's can duke it out in the center area of the map.  The inland base spacing is good too.  Looks promising!