Author Topic: CAF B-17 Midair - Totally Destroyed - Dallas *GRAPHIC*  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: CAF B-17 Midair - Totally Destroyed - Dallas *GRAPHIC*
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 10:07:33 AM »
The loss of the aircraft is bad enough but the loss of all on board both is simply terrible. I feel for all the families involved. At least no one on the ground was injured / killed. One day soon I am sure there will be no more relics like those being flown and only static displays left.

:cry
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 01:21:06 PM »
Six people confirmed dead.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136346487/dallas-airshow-midair-collission-fatalties

Arthur Alan Wolk is a Philadelphia aviation attorney who flew in air shows for 12 years. After watching the air show video and hearing the maneuvers described as "bombers on parade," Wolk told The Associated Press Sunday that the P-63 pilot violated the basic rule of formation flying.

"He went belly up to the leader," Wolk said. "That prevents him from gauging distance and position. The risk of collision is very high when you cannot see who you are supposed to be in formation with and that kind of join up is not permitted."

He added, "I am not blaming anyone and to the greatest extent possible air shows, the pilots and the aircraft that fly in them are safe. Air shows are one of the largest spectator events in America and it is rare that a tragedy like this occurs."

Wolk said it takes extensive training and discipline to fly in an air show setting. The air show qualifications of the P-63 pilot are not known.

The FAA was also launching an investigation, officials said.

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2022, 01:25:04 PM »
I can't really say much, this is too tragic for words to adequately express. As someone who works in the warbird community regularly, that could have been many people I know. I never got to see Texas Raiders in person, but I know that warbird crews are good people with real guts. I'm indeed very sad that six people and two aircraft have been lost, I know they will be missed greatly.
I actually would have been there yesterday had I not been at my high school robotics/drone team competition.

:salute
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
Six people confirmed dead.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136346487/dallas-airshow-midair-collission-fatalties

I'm not convinced he was forming up with the B-17.   He was way too fast for that.   He was clearly pacing the two Mustangs at the same interval as #2 was with Lead.    The formation briefing would tell us who was supposed to do what.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 07:58:05 PM »
Wow, this is just heartbreaking  :cry
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 09:07:46 PM »
I'm not convinced he was forming up with the B-17.   He was way too fast for that.   He was clearly pacing the two Mustangs at the same interval as #2 was with Lead.    The formation briefing would tell us who was supposed to do what.

Will be eager to hear about that.  Given that he was diving at the time, I have trouble thinking that he simply didn't see a B-17.

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 09:30:26 PM »

Will be eager to hear about that.  Given that he was diving at the time, I have trouble thinking that he simply didn't see a B-17.

- oldman

I think he was in a steep bank to stay with the Mustangs and just lost some altitude while looking outside. 

I've seen a "duck under" from the left rear [crossing left to right] of the B-29 by two Zeke replicas over the years when recreating the bombing of Japan, but the BUFF was a bit higher. 

I'm still of the belief that he was not expecting to be near the bomber.   

The Bombers on Parade portion of the Airsho' goes back a ways.   Perhaps there is footage of it being performed in prior years that could tell us what was supposed to happen.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 09:35:26 PM »
I think he was in a steep bank to stay with the Mustangs and just lost some altitude while looking outside. 

I've seen a "duck under" from the left rear [crossing left to right] of the B-29 by two Zeke replicas over the years when recreating the bombing of Japan, but the BUFF was a bit higher. 

I'm still of the belief that he was not expecting to be near the bomber.   

The Bombers on Parade portion of the Airsho' goes back a ways.   Perhaps there is footage of it being performed in prior years that could tell us what was supposed to happen.

Hope you're right.  Almost perfect pursuit curve.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »

Hope you're right.  Almost perfect pursuit curve.

- oldman

…without a visual.  The closure rate was way too high for a rejoin.  Appears he was watching other fighters and lost situational awareness of the B-17’s position.  Then, the gut wrenching sound of impact.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 09:07:23 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »

…without a visual.  The closure rate was way too high for a rejoin.  Appears he was watching other fighters and lost situational awareness of the B-17’s position.  Then, the gut wrenching sound of impact.

We are in agreement here.  Puma has done plenty of join-ups in F-4s and so forth so he knows a thing or two in that regard.

I'll also pass along that I know there are deconfliction rules in place for the show.   An example is the Tora! Tora! Tora! Group's.   

Dive bombers (Vals) have a hard deck.  They pull out above the torpedo bombers (Kates) which have a hard ceiling.   Vals and Kates offset from the centerline to the right based on direction of flight.

The fighters (F4F/FM-2/P-40/Zekes) have a high orbit that they maintain.

The B-17 gets the show centerline for the one-wheel pass, also with a hard ceiling.

These rules are tweaked as needed based on airport configuration (single vs. parallel runways, etc.) but you get the idea.

I do not know the rules for the Bombers on Parade but I'm betting the fighters have a floor or offset--if not both.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:35:11 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »
Peace to those they left behind

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2022, 05:04:01 PM »
Agree with V  don't think he saw him to the last second.

:salute   :cry
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
Agree with V  don't think he saw him to the last second.

:salute   :cry

Not so sure he saw the B-17 at all, considering the high closure rate, steep angle of bank, and restricted visibility of the airframe. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »
Not so sure he saw the B-17 at all, considering the high closure rate, steep angle of bank, and restricted visibility of the airframe.

Yeah, he was looking off to the left.  It was under his nose until he hit in any case.

Gawd, just a second or two...a few feet more or less....any small change...and nobody dies...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 09:28:48 PM »
i saw video of this the other day, and still can't comprehend how sudden that was.....or what the crew of the fort felt for that last couple seconds.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)