Author Topic: Mercenaries. Control TGs? I say nay.  (Read 2521 times)

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
Mercenaries. Control TGs? I say nay.
« on: November 16, 2022, 08:11:07 PM »
Many reasons. Primarily:

1) They get shifted to other teams and the boats remain locked in the path the mercenary determined because they belong to another team now and no one can take control.
2) They don't have the team they temporarily belong to at heart. Several times I have asked such a player to release a CV or BB but he wanted to get an accomplishment by killing X # of fuel factories or whatever but wouldn't. So a critical team resource is usurped by a self-centered player.
3) And sometimes--this is anecdotal, I have not personally seen it happen but ppl I respect said it happened and I believe them--one player deliberately locks a CV into a path so he can later destroy it when he changes sides.

It ought to be simple? Deny TG control rights to side switchers?
I'm in favor of the side switch thing but some people abuse it. Make it less abusable?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 08:48:31 PM by molybdenum »

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Re: Mercenaries. Control TGs? I say nay.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 11:27:42 PM »
Many reasons. Primarily:

1) They get shifted to other teams and the boats remain locked in the path the mercenary determined because they belong to another team now and no one can take control.
2) They don't have the team they temporarily belong to at heart. Several times I have asked such a player to release a CV or BB but he wanted to get an accomplishment by killing X # of fuel factories or whatever but wouldn't. So a critical team resource is usurped by a self-centered player.
3) And sometimes--this is anecdotal, I have not personally seen it happen but ppl I respect said it happened and I believe them--one player deliberately locks a CV into a path so he can later destroy it when he changes sides.

It ought to be simple? Deny TG control rights to side switchers?
I'm in favor of the side switch thing but some people abuse it. Make it less abusable?
#1 HTC Needs to fix that
#2 Play to win wherever I am at
#3 lets change rules over a rumor
 How about improving your score and earn the rank
AkCaine

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 08:25:12 AM »
The Ops has a point I believe. While the side switchers, for the most part, do not abuse the TG control, there will always be at least that "one" individual that will  take advantage of it. Prohibit their ability to take command of the TG  solves that problem.

Just last week player X took command of Rook TG, then got side switched with him still in command. Now that he was switched sides, he can not access the TG to release command. Chan. 200 was full of demands he release command but he couldn't.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »
I'd take a wild guess that most of us auto switchers don't quite care about cv privileges.  Removing then would only really effect the ones abusing it.  +1

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 02:01:00 PM »
I'd take a wild guess that most of us auto switchers don't quite care about cv privileges.  Removing then would only really effect the ones abusing it.  +1

I doubt that auto-switchers are the problem, simply because we can't tell which side we'll get switched to.  The abusers, to the extent they exist, must be the ones who deliberately choose a particular side to join.

The real problem with the auto-switchers, though, is as previous posters have described.  If you're suddenly swooped to another side while in command of a boat, the only way for you to relinquish command is to disable auto-switching, move back to your original side, and release command.  But then you're stuck there for the next six hours.

- oldman

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 02:29:59 PM »

Word

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 03:01:27 PM »
I try to shoot down bad guys. I look for bad guys to shoot. It is all about the fight. A good fight has little to do with the "war".

But that's just me and a handfull of pilots.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 03:18:19 PM »

+1
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 04:05:20 PM »

I doubt that auto-switchers are the problem, simply because we can't tell which side we'll get switched to.  The abusers, to the extent they exist, must be the ones who deliberately choose a particular side to join.

The real problem with the auto-switchers, though, is as previous posters have described.  If you're suddenly swooped to another side while in command of a boat, the only way for you to relinquish command is to disable auto-switching, move back to your original side, and release command.  But then you're stuck there for the next six hours.

- oldman
I relog after auto switch and it releases boat
I do care about cv privilege and until you prove RUMOR of foul play, I want to enjoy the privilege!
AkCaine

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 06:04:30 PM »
I relog after auto switch and it releases boatI do care about cv privilege and until you prove RUMOR of foul play, I want to enjoy the privilege!

I guess that's reasonable but it would be nice to have a vote function to kick off players that are abusing it. Regardless, when switching countries, you should lose control of the CV automatically. I am guessing that was an oversite on HTs part, or some sort of bug.

Maybe we need a timer for side switchers excluding them from taking control of a CV for a set period of time? Not sure what that should be but it will definitely discourage people from abusing the system. 

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 03:50:24 AM »
My understanding is that CV control is based on overall ranking, so the better ranked player gets control. A better way of doing this might be to have ranks for each side, so the better ranked Rook gets control of the Rook CVs and so on. The idea is that a high ranked player who plays mostly for one side but then switches briefly to sabotage CV paths would find themselves outranked and unable to do so.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 06:55:55 AM »

This

I don't even know how to make waypoints for the boats

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 06:59:52 AM »
My understanding is that CV control is based on overall ranking, so the better ranked player gets control. A better way of doing this might be to have ranks for each side, so the better ranked Rook gets control of the Rook CVs and so on. The idea is that a high ranked player who plays mostly for one side but then switches briefly to sabotage CV paths would find themselves outranked and unable to do so.

Or...a code adjustment that neutralizes CV/BB command control priority by rank whenever players opt for auto side switching.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 09:31:10 AM »
Or...a code adjustment that neutralizes CV/BB command control priority by rank whenever players opt for auto side switching.

Or, maybe disable the ability to control a task group for those on auto switch. That would also mitigate the antics of certain “Grand Admirals”.

Chuikov

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
Sounds like a code change...well theres that..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals